Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Scion tC Manual Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by vanillaTC
I have nearly 67K on my '05 TC. I had noticed the 'movement' of the gear shifter **** when in 5th gear but never thought much about it. Then today, I was on the highway with my cruise set at 70mph and out of nowhere it just slipped out of 5th gear into neutral. Since I was in cruise, my car was trying to keep the speed at 70mph, so my RPMs start soaring until I disengage cruise. Since then, I haven't been able to keep the car in 5th gear unless I physically hold the gear shift in 5th gear. If I take my hand off and press the gas, it will fall into neutral. I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say. 1-4 gears are all good, it's just 5th. For those of you who have noticed the movement in 5th when you press the gas, I would take it seriously and have it checked out. You may end up with the same problem as me.
you ever find out what was wrong with this
i have not read through the whole thread yet, but i just had the same thing happen to me
one week ago driving home and would not stay in 5th
stock clutch with 73k on it and i just replaced the clutch thinking it may have been the clutch/pressure plate
Old 02-05-2010, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
^^ wow bro sorry to hear about the SC. I've missed a little but I heard they stopped offering the SC.. why? because they broke?
i think i may have had something to dowith that one

my car went through 7 SC and 5 blocks and my car is now stock and im staying paying out of my ___ for 2 SC's out of pocket
Old 02-05-2010, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ yeah definitely had a "reliability issue" with that supercharger.. ouch. definitely stay stock if you want to keep an engine it seems. thanks for the update.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am also having the problem with grinding gears. it makes a grinding noise when shifting quickly into 3rd and into 5th at high rpm's. if you shift slowly it doesnt grind, and it grinds especially loud/often when its cold. sounds to me like im having the same problem everyone else is. 2005 with 79000 miles. my warranty expires at 90000 (bought it used with a new warranty for it) so im trying to get this problem fixed right away. I brought it to the dealership today and the tech test drove it, and of course shifted slowly so it didnt grind, said he'd call in the toyota extracare or whaterver people and get them to look at it, he said the decision is all up to the totoya care people and not the dealership. for some reason i dont think hes going to "find" anything wrong with my tranny, especially since i only have 11k miles left on my warranty. could anyone email me a copy of some service reports or something? i wanna have my facts straight when i get back into town after the weekend.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh, my email is Laminate@ikubed.com

and im also wondering if some of my mods could void warranty.

dc headers (cat delete, check engine light is not on)
s pipe
megan mid pipe
greddy exhaust
cold air intake
Old 03-25-2010, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup sure enough evidently a for a 2005 car to have extremely grinding 3rd and 5th gears (they did confirm the synchro rings are bad) is just normal wear and not covered unless they are completely broken. they actually told me it was because of my driving. funny thing is, when i asked them to let me drive it for them and show them the problem they wouldnt let me drive it for them. they've never actually seen me drive it at all. so yeah im screwed my warranty will be up in 10k miles. and even if it was completely broken im sure they'd just blame it on me and wouldnt pay for it anyway.

so please, if anyone can help me im dead in the water here. anyone have service reports or anything at all that could help me?
Old 03-26-2010, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

more excuses, if they continue to not want to honor your warranty and give you excuses. Then the only other alternative you have is to get an attorney, and yes I'm serious.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think ive given up on them. im just gonna deal with it for now and eventually fix it myself. i just put in eneos gear oil just the other day and its not crunching as bad as it used to, just have to be careful in 3rd and 5th not to put it in so fast. synchro ring should only be around $150 and its not worth spending my time arguing or money on an attorney on it. and it could be fun fixing it. lol and also its been getting hotter during the day here as of like last week and isn crunching as bad, during cold months it was a lot worse. i live in louisiana so it isnt cold for long lol. i also found some used 2007 trannies w/ under 30k miles from wrecked tc's for around $400 so thats an option too, and then id have two and i could keep one and fix it and swap em again if i ever have the problem occur. either way it will wait for another day.

the whole problem is that the extended warranty is a different company than the factory warranty/dealership. the dealership told me they'd definitely fix it or even replace the whole transmission if it was up to them but the extended warranty people are picky as hell and sent an adjuster out to check it out (like an insurance company basically).
Old 03-27-2010, 02:26 AM
SL Member

Im kinda late to this thread but last summer i had some wicked grinding going from 1st to 2nd gear. U couldnt even baby it in, it was horrible. Got so bad i had to skip 2nd gear all together. I eventually took it into the dealer and they replaced the entire transmission without hesitation. I told em while they were in there they could replace the clutch with a stage 2 kevlar from CM and the flywheel with a the aluminum fidanza. Needless to say the car never drove better, shifting was butter and the out of pocket expense was less than a benjamin. Warrantys save lives.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Laminate
i think ive given up on them. im just gonna deal with it for now and eventually fix it myself.
the whole problem is that the extended warranty is a different company than the factory warranty/dealership. the dealership told me they'd definitely fix it or even replace the whole transmission if it was up to them but the extended warranty people are picky as hell and sent an adjuster out to check it out (like an insurance company basically).
well that's your right to not do anything. I don't get why you'd buy an extended warranty but yet just let them take your money without a fight.
And I thought it was Toyota's extended warranty, that would probably be real, these 3rd party warranties have always been a scam and never fixed a thing.

I would fight it, but hey that's up to you, good luck.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member

My '06 tC started grinding going into 3rd a few months ago. I took it in and they want to replace the whole transmission for over $4200. My car currently has 65k mi on it. Conveniently just barely out of warranty. Does anyone have any advice for getting Toyota to pay for this under warranty? I heard there's nothing the dealership itself can do. Who should I call?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go to a trans shop and get it fixed, it might still be expensive but its just change compared to what the vultures at the dealer want

all the dealer mechanics do is replace crap. they never try to repair anything because of liability
Old 09-21-2010, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member

Default 5th gear grind

Good to see i'm not alone.

I had 5th gear grind since 1 year ago. thought it's normal until last week i took it in for a check up and they said i need a new transmission(under warranty). Now it's in the shop and I will update the result. The dealer gave me a brand new Highlander as a loaner car!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by michaelfengdayu
Good to see i'm not alone.

I had 5th gear grind since 1 year ago. thought it's normal until last week i took it in for a check up and they said i need a new transmission(under warranty). Now it's in the shop and I will update the result. The dealer gave me a brand new Highlander as a loaner car!
Transmission replaced, clutch surface replaced, something cover replaced.

No more 4th gear grind. Clutch is sensitive (guess because it's new).
Old 10-05-2010, 05:58 PM

hello so ive read through all the posts, and this is whats happening with my car. Its a 2010 5 speed, i have about 5500 miles on it so its pretty new. When shifting from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd, you can hear a 'clunk' from the outside. But I think thats normal? But sometimes, especially when its cold, going into 2nd makes a "crunching" noise but its coming from the shifter, and its not grinding. Ive only had the griding once, in 3rd because i didnt put it in all the way by accident. Also lately, shifting into 5th also has a slight crunch coming from the gear shifter. It does not sound like its coming from the transmission. Is this normal or should I go to the dealership?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by geoldr
hello so ive read through all the posts, and this is whats happening with my car. Its a 2010 5 speed, i have about 5500 miles on it so its pretty new. When shifting from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd, you can hear a 'clunk' from the outside. But I think thats normal? But sometimes, especially when its cold, going into 2nd makes a "crunching" noise but its coming from the shifter, and its not grinding. Ive only had the griding once, in 3rd because i didnt put it in all the way by accident. Also lately, shifting into 5th also has a slight crunch coming from the gear shifter. It does not sound like its coming from the transmission. Is this normal or should I go to the dealership?
No not normal, many of us have experienced similar problems and took it into the dealer ship and got the transmission replaced under warranty, this will only happen thou if you can replicate the problem at will, if its only once in a wild, I would wait until it happens all the time, to avoid them saying, "we were unable to replicate the problem" trust me its happened to me, good luck.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:05 PM

Default help

ok, first off, i'm not a gear head, i just drive my car. I have a 2007 tc and 5th gear kept popping out when i'm on the freeway cruising. I was told my syncro is shot. Any opinions on the best and most affordable way to get this fixed. I know a tranny swap will cost me alot, i even found a few for under $400 on line (rebuilt form wrecked tc's) but don't want go into that expense unless i really have to.......any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

im me islandgman1877 (yahoo) or email islandgman1877@yahoo.com
Old 03-01-2011, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

replaced transmission 10 months ago and is happening again
dealership has told me to get another transmission
not happy right now and will most likely be calling scion customer care to open up another case

maybe get the 6 speed swap from rob over descendant?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gotta admit im really surprised how many of you have had tranny problems. Ive owned many cars alot of manual transmission honda's and a dsm where the syncros just suck, The Tc though had been one of the better and tougher trans in my opinion. I boosted my car at 32K which at that time put in a ACT Clutch, I replaced the stock tranny fluid at 50K with royal purple 75w-90 Gear oil which made the transmission shift much better all around especially when cold. Now I have 91k on my car, My car a ton of track passes and i dont shift my car very gentle at all. ocassionally i get a very slight grind going into 4th gear but its not a horrible grind and id say its only 1 outta 15 times and ussally im alittle faster then ive pushed in the clutch.. also i have dr. isotopes delrin shifter bushings and his short shifter which feel great and i have speedsource polyurathane motor mounts. now that i think about it have those mounts may have alot to do with the lack of tranny problems because i did have some grinding before i put the mounts in but never happend really after they were installed.. Ok ok sorry for the long winded ramble.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure if this is my tranny or not, but 3 times in the last day my car has done this weird hesitation in 2nd gear around 3-4k. I'll be on the gas (lightly) and the car just lurches forward like it lost power or something. Every time it happened I pressed in the clutch, shifted to 3rd, and then it was fine. This only happened in 2nd gear. I put it in neutral and revved it up without problem to see if it was the engine or not. Anyone have an idea what could be wrong? My car is a 2007 with 31k miles. I have a short shifter and a CAI. The tranny fluid was replaced at 30k a couple months ago.

Quick Reply: Scion tC Manual Transmission Problem