Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Spec D Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 03:11 AM

Default Spec D Exhaust question

So I got my hand on a DC sports header and Spec D exhaust for my 05 scion tc, I'm on a budget a wanted to give these a shot, im waiting on my foul sparks for the headers so we can get the ball rolling as for the exhaust system I got this question;

The pipes that came in are 2.5", stock I assume would be 1.8" or something I dont remember well, The whole thing came in 3 pieces as you can in the pic below, if im not mistaken the exhaust will bolt on the stock s-pipe/downpipe, correct? but then again the s pipe does not have the same width as the spec D , is this gonna be a problem? would changing the s-pipe to a 2.5" make any difference with the flow? the whole point of me getting the full exhaust is because i read it gives better flow than the stock ones, any help would be appreciated.

[IMG]ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-25962240138714_2272_19600108[/IMG]
Old 09-22-2014, 08:11 PM

I just need to know if the stock diameter of the S pipe would be ok with the rest of the spec D pipes, any help on this would be awesome

Last edited by omrskr; 09-22-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stock exhaust piping size is 2.25"

The pipes should match, the only reason i say "should" is b/c i have no personal experience with that particular exhaust. Any cat-back that i have dealt with will bolt to the stock S-pipe no problem.

You don't have to upgrade the s-pipe but if you are going to do everything else and you can afford an aftermarket s-pipe i would do it. Yes it will improve airflow over stock, the difference is small but again if you have the money to do it and you do it all right the first time, it will be done for good.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:08 PM

thing is a decent downpipe would cost almost the same amount that I paid for the rest of the exhaust pipes, im not sure why its that pricey compared to the rest of the exhaust, tbh If its not going to add noticeable gains then i'll pass on that pipe and stick to the stock.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're on a budget then my opinion would be save your money.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:15 AM

so I got my spec d exhaust pipes installed, I ended up bolting them to the stock S pipe so its all good for now.

I have no experience with after market exhausts, aside from the loudness of this exhaust is it supposed to be loud inside the car too?

the noise has gotten way louder in the cabin everytime i raise the rpm and it gets ridiculously loud driving up hill when my rpm is just in between 2000 - 3000.

Is this normal? or is it because its a cheap after market exhaust? the silencer is on but i still think its too loud, is there another silencer I can put on this exhaust other than the one that came with it?
Old 09-29-2014, 06:50 PM

a little help over here pahleezzz!!
Old 10-05-2014, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member

you most likely have a exhaust leak. I would check each connection of the exhaust
Old 10-06-2014, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you go with a bigger exhaust/piping/etc. on a vehicle, expect noise. If you decided to put on a header, expect it become 10x worse.

So yeah header + bigger piping + exhaust = LOUD. It's the reason I don't drive with a header anymore plus...I mean...it's not like I get any real gains from a N/A setup. You maybe quicker than the next TC but not a supercharged or turbo'ed TC.

honestly the only real header to go with in our cars is the Dezod green header. That thing sounds awesome.

PPSS. this forum moves slow. I think there's only a small handful of us left so the answers won't come as fast as it would have a few yrs ago.
<3 FRS.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It all depends on your setup, every brand has it's pros and cons. I have tsudo header and s pipe, mid pipe and axle back and it's not that loud unless you get on it and it's after 4k rpm but other than that it's fine.
I've had a spec d exhaust before I went with tsudo mid and axle back, and it was a bit louder than what I have now but it also depends on the headers too.. My friend had dc header on his 07 Tc with a greddy Evo 2 axle back and stock s pipe and stock mid pipe and he said those headers made it obnoxiously loud and annoying and it was louder than my setup, this was when I used to have my spec d axle back and mid pipe with tsudo header and s pipe
Old 12-03-2014, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The exhaust will definitely make things louder. Especially since you bought a cheap catback which is basically a straight-pipe.

Add a Cat-less header and you're really going to have a bad time.

This is all available information. I always laugh when people do it anyways and then come back and complain. Haha.