Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Stuck Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member

Exclamation Stuck Oil Filter

Was thinking this was going to be a quick 10 min job as usual, and everything was going as planned, except once I got to the oil filter, the thing just would not budge.

Tried using just my hands (which I normally do), then put on an oil filter cup wrench with no luck http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Before I try using some channel locks or jab it with a screwdriver, does anyone have any other ideas?

Note: I always do my oil changes, and install the (toyota) oil filter by hand 3/4 of a turn
Old 05-27-2011, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jab the screw driver in is prob the best way!..and easiest...Just dont get Oil all over the place...haha
Old 05-27-2011, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't use those junk filter wrenches like you tried. Get the adjustable that look like a lobster claw or the clamp type. That will get it off. And make sure to oil the o-ring.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the responses guys. Couldn't get it to budge, so my only option is to pick up a new tool tomorrow. Will have to refill the engine with oil so I can drive to the auto store tomorrow. Will check out the lobster claw, but a friend pointed me to the Lisle wrenches like this one: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tAzvNnLkL.jpg

Looks like a cup wrench that actually clamps down while turning. Will keep you all posted...
Old 05-27-2011, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jab a screwdriver through the thing and twist. Simple easy fix.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate it when that happens. Last time I crushed it with a wrench and it was pretty easy to turn. Might want to keep that as a last option though.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member

UPDATE: Filter was removed....with ease!

Bought the Lisle Tool from Autozone and recommend it to all tC owners!

This thing snapped onto the Toyota OEM filter and locked on tighter once I began to turn it. No slipping, just a clean removal of the old filter!

Old 05-28-2011, 09:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by preludedriven
UPDATE: Filter was removed....with ease!

Bought the Lisle Tool from Autozone and recommend it to all tC owners!

This thing snapped onto the Toyota OEM filter and locked on tighter once I began to turn it. No slipping, just a clean removal of the old filter!

thanks preludedriven for this! good timing! as I'm also due for an oil change soon! Last oil change I did, the toyota filter wouldn't come off by hand either! I pulled out the oil filter removal cap like you have and luckily I was able to make the filter move. But I do like what you bought, looks like it CLAMPS down on the sides and holds tightly as you use the socket wrench to move it! I found it at autozone says its by "OEM" brand, $5.99.. is that how much you paid? here's the link:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=297190_0_0_

I really want to say thanks to you for finding this very cool tool! Like I said I'll be doing an oil change soon and this was GREAT timing in posting this! I think I'll get this just in case it won't move like yours!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's why it's important to hand tight the new filter!

I use Channelock pipe-oil filter pilers when they give little hassle. Since I'm girl with small and death grip hands: I usually able to get them loose with few good tugs with my hand while swearing tad.

I've notice when the motor is warm (not too hot: take 40 minute drive and get everything ready then it's usually ready.) and get the filter loose THEN drain oil pan is so much easier than getting oil then get filter off. If you wait for the motor cool to cold it's nearly impossible to get off and you'll end up waiting hours to drain oil.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those types of filter wrenches are also useful when you're changing oil and you're having an off-day because it prevents those times when you think you're loosening it but you're actually tightening it.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
thanks preludedriven for this! good timing! as I'm also due for an oil change soon! Last oil change I did, the toyota filter wouldn't come off by hand either! I pulled out the oil filter removal cap like you have and luckily I was able to make the filter move. But I do like what you bought, looks like it CLAMPS down on the sides and holds tightly as you use the socket wrench to move it! I found it at autozone says its by "OEM" brand, $5.99.. is that how much you paid?
You're welcome! Thankfully, a friend of mine recommended it before I decided to crank on the filter with some channel locks LOL. I ended up buying the exact same "OEM" one at Autozone. Super efficient, and will never look at buying any other wrench again!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes that thing is a life saver! I messed with mine one time for like 30 mins because it was super tight some how, finally asked my dad and he gave me one which made me mad because I f'd with it for so long! lol
Old 05-31-2011, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Screwdriver always works for me haha
Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i would try plyers for oil filter instead of the cup so you can get better grip, or use tool from autozone
Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so this thing actually works???
Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could also wrap duct tape around the bottom of the filter to give your first filter tool some more grip and a tighter fit. Have had to do that several times on tight filters. Works 70% of the time.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes that tool works.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

decent plan to order one now
Old 11-22-2012, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i bought it, and have an extra oil filter handy, but it seems as if it won't be snug on it? like the filter doesnt seat flush in the wrench attachment?
Old 11-22-2012, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by danny662boy
so i bought it, and have an extra oil filter handy, but it seems as if it won't be snug on it? like the filter doesnt seat flush in the wrench attachment?
make sure you get the filter removal tool sides on the flanges of the filter, then once you start turning the wrench the filter removal tool (with the wrench extension attached) begins to tighten it's grip on the filter housing. so yeah it does get tighter.. I've been using this tool for a couple years now, it's an excellent tool, save a lot of time! i usually just use it to break the tightness of the filter, then remove the tool, then take the filter the rest of the way off by hand. That way the tool doesn't get oil all over it from the filter unseating.

Quick Reply: Stuck Oil Filter