Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Whining sound while accelerating 06 tC

Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Whining sound while accelerating 06 tC

I took this video after replacing the head on the motor since I scored every cam journal... Needed a new head... Now I have this whining sound... I also had this same sound before the head was replaced.

I pulled the belt off and I know its not a pulley since none of them are moving besides the crank pulley... Could it possibly be the oil pump since there was metal that had come off the cam journals? I am at a stand still here with this car and really bugging me...

Someone please help me
Old 08-16-2013, 02:37 PM

Did you inspect the chain damper ? Could be one of the chain assemblies, possibly chain sub assembly driving the oil pump gear? Are you sure the noise is coming from the engine and not the transmission? Many possibilities exist.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Kik
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for bringing up and old thread but my 05 tc is doing the exact same thing, thinking it was either the pulley or alternators I removed everything and I still have the same noise as the OP. I did notice that the rubber on the crank pulley is kind of chewed up but it's still solid all the way around, didn't know if that would affect it.
When I did the stripped head bolt fix awhile back, I did change over all the timing components except for the chain tensioner, which looked to be in good shape. I repaired the head bolts at about 120K on the motor and I have about 153K on it now. If someone found the fix, please let me know.
Thank you.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kik
Sorry for bringing up and old thread but my 05 tc is doing the exact same thing, thinking it was either the pulley or alternators I removed everything and I still have the same noise as the OP. I did notice that the rubber on the crank pulley is kind of chewed up but it's still solid all the way around, didn't know if that would affect it.
When I did the stripped head bolt fix awhile back, I did change over all the timing components except for the chain tensioner, which looked to be in good shape. I repaired the head bolts at about 120K on the motor and I have about 153K on it now. If someone found the fix, please let me know.
Thank you.
I found out what the noise was. It was my VVTI gear on the intake cam. It was locked up... I replaced it and the sound went away. Hope that helps
Old 10-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Kik
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info...I'll check that out tomorrow hopefully its the problem.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Kik
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I finally got into the car, the VVTi gear is not the problem, my son seems to think that the timing tensioner is stuck forward and not releasing tension as needed. Is there a way to tell if the tensioner is stuck with out removing it? If I have to remove it, do I have to pull the intake and the PS pump?