Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Yep. CEL. Fml.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:33 PM

Default Yep. CEL. Fml.

Hey guys, so I installed an Injen SRI intake for my scion tc 08 a few weeks ago. Lo and behold, a CEL popped up. I have been searching everywhere on the forums and internet on how to get rid of it and quickly running out of ideas. Plan Z, put on the old intake and sell the aftermarket part to some unlucky soul. However i'd like to try other methods first prior to giving up. So far, I've tried cleaning the MAF sensor, reclamping everything, changing out the spark plugs (coded it at autozone and got multiple misfire and o2 sensor related), taking off the negative terminal 30min - 1 hr and letting the car relearn the air flow for 10 mins idle. Pretty sure MAF sensor is on the right way as well. Any ideas or solutions that worked for you would greatly be appreciated!! My guess would be i didn't clamp everything properly but how does one really make sure everything is clamped properly when its tight and snug. Thanks for the help!! I'll take a photo of my intake setup.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

have you tried changing the MAF sensor? you may have nerfed it changing the intake.
not much else you can screw up with a CAI unless you decided to drive through a flood.

unless it isn't really a legit ingen intake, which was only sold as a full CAI that could be converted to a SRI, then it might just be that.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:33 AM

Hey! Thanks for input! Yeah, i got the intake CAI that could be converted to SRI. Winter is coming and I'd rather not worry about the intake down there so I stuck with the SRI for now. What are some symptoms of a broken MAF?
Old 10-23-2015, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

would be helpful if you provided the actual CEL codes your getting.
if the MAF has gone wrong then the car doesn't know how much air is really getting in the engine. you'll likely get a CEL, running rough/rich

another unlikely issue (like the intake not being legit) may be that you have the wrong year intake for your car. the 05-06 were different than the 07-10, but unless it's modified, the MAF wouldn't be able to be screwed in the same as stock, if you can even screw it in at all.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:31 PM

Yeah I don't have the paper with the exact codings unless I go and get it re-coded again. I'm pretty sure it said cylinder 4 misfire and running either too rich or lean. The papers that came with the intake said 07-08 tc so i'm pretty sure its the correct size. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc008
Yeah I don't have the paper with the exact codings unless I go and get it re-coded again. I'm pretty sure it said cylinder 4 misfire and running either too rich or lean. The papers that came with the intake said 07-08 tc so i'm pretty sure its the correct size. Thanks!
If you are having misfires then you may have a completely unrelated problem that just happened to come up after the install. I had the Injen unit for 5 years with no CEL. One day I had misfires in all 4 cylinders and the main O2 sensor was bad (the expensive one in the exhaust manifold). Put the stock intake back on and see if it goes away to proof out the intake. Also, you may be able to pay a local shop to diagnose the issue and then fix it yourself.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:51 AM

Hey Thanks! I got tired with trying to figure it out and decided to take it into an autoshop. Found out from them that there was a loose vacuum hose tangled up somewhere with the other hoses that I forgot to hook up. Such a noob mistake but no more CEL.