Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

building a bolt-on intercooler kit for TC trd supercharger

Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

i was just thinking about something..but i will probably be wrong.
so what if you delete the oem air filter system and switch it with a short ram intake so that it will not have to go through an extra 2-3 ft of tubing? so this might help regain the boost pressure. since you will be using the intercooler and that will solve the problem of hot air by short ram intake?
does this make sense? just wondering...if it'd work? lol
Old 04-29-2009, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ack154
Originally Posted by Temperz
i know something more beneficial to the sc and your engine too. toss it into the trash
How about we try to be a little more helpful and contribute something next time? K?

Can I get a X3 on this? lol

Sounds like it will be in interesting setup....keep us posted on the progress!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i like this, cant wait to see results.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jsingh
i was just thinking about something..but i will probably be wrong.
so what if you delete the oem air filter system and switch it with a short ram intake so that it will not have to go through an extra 2-3 ft of tubing? so this might help regain the boost pressure. since you will be using the intercooler and that will solve the problem of hot air by short ram intake?
does this make sense? just wondering...if it'd work? lol
no, a short ram would make the air hotter, and tubing before the supercharger doesn't affect boost, only the piping after the s/c affects boost pressure.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:12 AM

Just wondering if this thread is dead or not?
Old 09-05-2014, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djcezile
Just wondering if this thread is dead or not?
Its as dead as the supercharger... lol
Old 09-10-2014, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by burgandybomber
Its as dead as the supercharger... lol
Lol funny bro.
I'm actually going back in time and building up a supercharged tC at 14psi. Just having cooling issues
Old 09-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Lol funny bro.
I'm actually going back in time and building up a supercharged tC at 14psi. Just having cooling issues
You are going to have some issues. Anything over 9 or more was problematic. The blower was too inefficient.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
You are going to have some issues. Anything over 9 or more was problematic. The blower was too inefficient.
Would you mind explaining?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Would you mind explaining?
The blower is a small trim blower which means it's relatively efficient (IAT wise) at low boost levels. At 9 PSI it's starts to show some signs of inefficiency and at 10+ PSI, it was out of control. We saw over 200F IATs on DG Specs car without an intercooler on that S/C at 10.5 PSI. The tune had to be buffer the tune hard to compensate for charge temps that where VERY prone to detonation. Toyota Motorsports has fabricated a L2A IC kit for the program which effectively dropped IATs 100*F. Later, the car was converted to a modified variant of our S1 turbo and none of this was a concern, fuel economy, power delivery and efficiency sky rocketed. (A major plus when speaking in Time Attack and Endurance Racing)
Old 09-22-2014, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
The blower is a small trim blower which means it's relatively efficient (IAT wise) at low boost levels. At 9 PSI it's starts to show some signs of inefficiency and at 10+ PSI, it was out of control. We saw over 200F IATs on DG Specs car without an intercooler on that S/C at 10.5 PSI. The tune had to be buffer the tune hard to compensate for charge temps that where VERY prone to detonation. Toyota Motorsports has fabricated a L2A IC kit for the program which effectively dropped IATs 100*F. Later, the car was converted to a modified variant of our S1 turbo and none of this was a concern, fuel economy, power delivery and efficiency sky rocketed. (A major plus when speaking in Time Attack and Endurance Racing)
That's some good information to know, but i wanted to be different, I've seen too many turbocharged tC's, especially down in South Florida, since we have no emission laws, you have these ridiculously fast and loud street tC's running open downpipes and all. so any suggestions as to the next steps to take besides telling me to switch over to turbo, because that's not gonna happen lol. maybe water meth, with an air to air intercooler?
Old 09-22-2014, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a reason there is a bunch of turbo tC's running around. It's what works. Been there with the SC on this car, done that. Doesn't work well, doesn't last either. 3 motors, under 25k miles, dealer installed/warrantied and I sued toyota and got all my money back. Went with a 8thgen civic SI, Kraftwerks kit, pushing 400hp at 10.5psi all day long supercharged.

Some cars work well with them, some do not. The tC SC sucks for what it is. Just warning you upfront. Same kit with a reverse layout was made by vortech for the integra's, and put out more hp, less stress, and was more effective on a smaller displacement motor. Don't ask me why, just do your research.

I would tell you before you go "all I want to be different" ride in a turbo tC, then see whats up first. I've been in a few, and they are much better than my TRD SC unit ever was. First hand experience.....
Old 09-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by torqueTc
There is a reason there is a bunch of turbo tC's running around. It's what works. Been there with the SC on this car, done that. Doesn't work well, doesn't last either. 3 motors, under 25k miles, dealer installed/warrantied and I sued toyota and got all my money back. Went with a 8thgen civic SI, Kraftwerks kit, pushing 400hp at 10.5psi all day long supercharged.

Some cars work well with them, some do not. The tC SC sucks for what it is. Just warning you upfront. Same kit with a reverse layout was made by vortech for the integra's, and put out more hp, less stress, and was more effective on a smaller displacement motor. Don't ask me why, just do your research.

I would tell you before you go "all I want to be different" ride in a turbo tC, then see whats up first. I've been in a few, and they are much better than my TRD SC unit ever was. First hand experience.....
That's the thing, i've ridden in a turbo tC, my tC was turboed pushing 350 and 325 with the stock block, and don't get me wrong it's fun, but you know everyone has their preferences, not saying that you're wrong, but seem to me that everyone goes about the wrong way when supercharging, i'm building a whole new block from the bottom up, everything has been forged and cryotreated, the block is as far from stock as can be, trust me, i've done a lot of research before starting this build. Look up Dan Gardner's tC on google, and you'll see what i'm talking about. It can be done, safely and reliably if you know what you're doing, and ask the right people.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DG was also a race team - and yes, thank you - I know how to "build" a properly supercharged car. As I indicated to you, my kraftwerks 8thgen civic SI is a perfect example. 400hp, 1000cc injectors, Hondata Flashpro, tuned by Derek at Innovative Motorworks.. Comptech Header, Berk HFC, HFP exhaust, still passes emissions.

I dunno what your trying to say, that I didn't build my fully built TRD car right? Check the forums, I had near $36-38k wrapped up in that car in its full purchase + build. Money wasn't the issue, its the motor, and the way the charger scavenges oil back out of the motor.

Paul with Dezod told you why.. I told you why. If you don't want to believe it, or listen to it from me - that's fine, but you should listen to a guy that's built MORE scion's in his lifetime (Paul) than most likely anyone on here. If you STILL don't want to accept that we are right, that's on you man. If you bothered to look up my build, you would see what all went into my car, and I can assure you - Money was not the issue with playing with my car collection. That's exactly why I went with the civic SI that can hold 450hp before having to build the motor. These things rev high, and are beasts. You have to realize, you are building a CAMRY motor. Nothing extreme, or different about it. The k20z3 is one of the most radical 4 cylinder engines in production that is/was putting out 100hp per liter. That's why I jumped ship.

Like I told you - my car was covered under warranty and went through MULTIPLE motors and superchargers. You do know that TRD discontinued the supercharger for the tC because it sucked, was a warranty nightmare, and a POS. I highly advise you to do more research before building a grenade, because that's exactly what's going to happen with your car. I don't care how "good" you build it.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And read what Paul wrote - the DG tC hung up the supercharger quite quickly, and went the turbo route. I've been here since the scion tC came out.. How long have you been in one?? I can tell you have not been around the block long enough.

Please post up pics of your turbo tC. I want to see this. Who tuned you? What kit were you running? And why the hell are you going BACKWARDS with a supercharger on that car?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

djcezile - just so you know - Gompka is no longer selling revised S/C shafts. So you better get your hands on one quick from somewhere, because they are going to be REALLY hard to find soon.

They were over $500 from him. See his thread here - https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...152018/page50/

So I hope you can find one for your SC build. Your going to need it.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:20 AM

Already have it, thanks btw