Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

building a bolt-on intercooler kit for TC trd supercharger

Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Default building a bolt-on intercooler kit for TC trd supercharger

So I'm in the process of building a bolt on intercooler kit for the trd supercharger. After lots of research I found that a intercooler will be very beneficial to the s/c tc. I analyzed many setups and found one that will work well. Iam ordering all of my parts soon to piece the kit together. The intercooler will be front mount and use almost all of the open space in the lower grille location. Iam looking to make this kit very nice looking and very efficient with minimal modification to the car or supercharger. I have worked on a lot of project cars including 91' turbo mr2, 96' turbo ford ranger, and a 92' turbo 240sx sr20det. My latest project a couple months ago was installing a 05-06 s/c kit on a 07 and it was a complete success.https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...211&highlight=
Would anyone be interested in a intercooler kit?

So far the specs on the intercooler are going to be
Core Size: 22"X8"X3.5"
Overall Size: 29"x8"x3.5"
2.5" Inlet & Outlet One Side
3.5" Core
Old 04-21-2009, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i read that intercooler will make you loose boost pressure.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

yes they do in both supercharged and turbo applications but you do get the dropped air temp that will make up for that boost pressure loss. The intecooler specs on the one I will be buying is .2-.5 psi boost drop when under 15lbs of boost.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by b52hDUNN
yes they do in both supercharged and turbo applications but you do get the dropped air temp that will make up for that boost pressure loss. The intecooler specs on the one I will be buying is .2-.5 psi boost drop when under 15lbs of boost.
Yes, but that is just the drop in pressure across the intercooler itself, the rest of the pressure drop comes from all the extra piping that needs to be pressurized before the engine sees boost. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I have read that Vortech s/c's don't like restriction and become less efficient with it. Good luck on the project though, i'm doing one myself, just with air to water.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You lose pressure but its not like the air disappears. It says he will be doing a vertical style set-up which cuts down on the piping alot. I had one installed on my blower (which it for sale Btw) that was very efficeint.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Yes, but that is just the drop in pressure across the intercooler itself, the rest of the pressure drop comes from all the extra piping that needs to be pressurized before the engine sees boost. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I have read that Vortech s/c's don't like restriction and become less efficient with it. Good luck on the project though, i'm doing one myself, just with air to water.
Dont really think it will lose to much pressure from mandrel bent 2.5 piping. Will be definitely investing in a nst pulley. Really trying to keep piping to a minimum. Procharger runs air to air intercoolers on almost all of their s/c kits most at 6psi of boost. air to water looks like a lot of work plus maintenance. good luck on your project to!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:53 PM

will be interested to see how yours turns out
Old 04-21-2009, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck
Old 04-21-2009, 11:51 PM

i know something more beneficial to the sc and your engine too. toss it into the trash
Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Temperz
i know something more beneficial to the sc and your engine too. toss it into the trash
How about we try to be a little more helpful and contribute something next time? K?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
How about we try to be a little more helpful and contribute something next time? K?

x2. if you dont like this thread or dont have anything positive to contribute GTFO.

DUNN is going to show us that the FMIC is not just a showpiece, and that with this application it will actually benefit people with the TRD s/c.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and i know something more beneficial then you! toss yourself in the trash and make sure to close the lid!

as far as the post goes. you do loose psi cause of the extra air that has to travel through the piping. so if i were you get yourself a 14 psi pulley from NST or get one smaller if they can make it. and throw some cams in there and surely you will be over 300 whp at redline.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlitzBlueBeast
You lose pressure but its not like the air disappears. It says he will be doing a vertical style set-up which cuts down on the piping alot. I had one installed on my blower (which it for sale Btw) that was very efficeint.
yes but then it takes longer to pressurize, i'm not saying it will not work i'm just restating what I have been hearing all along. I'm going with air to water because I will only have like a foot and a half of piping between the intercooler, supercharger, and engine. He is doing a setup with the front mount in the bottom grille, i'm assuming you will spin the s/c so the outlet faces down, but then you need to go all the way back up and move the battery to make room for the piping. Mine keeps the battery and its not very complicated the heat exchanger is just like the intercooler mounts in the bottom grille, then the actual ic mounts on top and you run a pump and two water lines, comparable amount of work.

I hope you can take some temp measurements when you get yours done, i'll take some with mine and we can compare.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interested... so Gompka, you planning on making an air to water bolt-on kit for us?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KiKaZ-sC
interested... so Gomgka, you planning on making an air to water bolt-on kit for us?
I will have detailed pics and info about how to make your own sure, i have enough trouble with these shafts, add intercooler bolt on kits and I'll loose my marbles lol
Old 04-22-2009, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To the OP, fyi dont plan on trying to clock the blower straight down. It cant happen because it will hit the starter. I found that out the hard way.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Watching
Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice , watching
Old 04-23-2009, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm. Watching.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member

Hows that intercooler comin along? Yea its Nick, I just signed up. Update!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: building a bolt-on intercooler kit for TC trd supercharger