Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Can you boost without fuel management?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:04 PM

Default Can you boost without fuel management?

Well I recently installed a turbo kit on my 05 rs tc, I also bought some 550 cc injectors to go with it the only thing i'm missing is a fuel management system. My question is, if I install the injectors and the boost controller how much if at all would I be able to boost without leaning out. Currently with no boost controller and stock injectors it starts to lean out around half throttle, daily driving is fine but thats not why I installed a turbo of course. My MAF is located right before the throttle body so its after the turbo and BOV. So I'm hoping the stock ecu could adjust for it, 5-6 PSI maybe? Anyone with any knowledge please help me out.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would you try to get away with something that you already know the answer to?

A tune is worth it, any way you slice it. And you want to run on the factory ECU at that? Man.... not smart.. The stock ECU is not going to be adjusting for bigger injectors, and more air being crammed in. Think about this for a minute...
Old 09-22-2014, 12:08 PM

I wasn't asking as a permanent solution. But in the next month or so until I can save up 400$ for a FIC I just wanted to know if it would compensate for the bigger injectors on its own in the meantime. Of course I know I need a tune, I was just asking for now if it would give me problems.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do yourself a favor and just don't drive the car till you get some type of engine management. Stock ECU cannot compensate for the bigger injectors and why not just save a little more $ so you can have piece of mind once you get the engine management so you can drive the car however you want once its tuned. In my opinion driving the car around like that is a big problem.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK here - simple answer:

NO
Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OP Congrats on installing the kit. Boost will feel awesome BUT like others said running without a boost controller or fuel management defeats the purpose your trying to achieve.
Even with low boost 5-6 psi the engine is obviously being leaned out by the increased heat/pressure from the turbo,lack of increased fuel to feed the engine,also you didn't mention spark plugs. You have go atleast 1-step colder when running boost the stock plugs are too hot and will cause breaks ups at higher loads and rpm's and could possibly cause piston damage or worse engine failure.

Your best option is to look for a used piggyback either AEM or Greddy Ulimate which would be cheaper and easier to acquire. Look on craiglist,ebay, here on the classified section.
Also buy a good boost controller AEM or Innovative. AEM truboost is cheaper of the two but still awesome everything you need in the kit plus an over boost warning option.
Be careful if you absolutely have to drive the car. You don't want to sacrifice your engine.
Good luck.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

KABOOOOOOM!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by criminaltc
KABOOOOOOM!
pretty much what is going to happen sooner or later if you don't get a tune with a controller. At least the AEM Fi/C if anything. All it takes is that one time you just wanna punch it and yeah...if you can avoid driving it with it on, please do. Save your motor. If your saving up for a $500 controller, imagine if your engine fails...that'll be around $3k for a engine + labor.

Don't drive it until then.