Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Engine Managment List

Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Default Engine Managment List

its come to my attention we are one hella spoiled group when it comes to engine managment. We have quit a few piggy backs and standalones that have been tested on our cars with a few due to be out. I think we have more choices than most others do with a few of the engine managment systems being plug-n-play.

What im trying to do is create a list of all the engine managment systems that have been used on the Tc. It would be great if you guys could help me out in this. Here is an example of what im looking for

Engine managment: AEM FIC
Class: Piggy back
Cost: $600.00 w/pnp harness
Wher to get: http://www.dezod.com/pd-aem-fic-plug-n-play-combo-tc-05-06.cfm , http://www.ptuning.com/html/Item-Des...E&ModelDesc=tC ,can be found at almost any speed shop
Features:

PLUG & PLAY F/IC KEY FEATURES

• Plugs directly into the factory harness. No rewiring necessary. Includes start up calibrations. Enables MAF-clamping/ recalibration. Runs in conjunction with factory ECU. CAN-BUS not affected. Among the only piggyback systems which can decrease pulse-width, allowing larger aftermarket injectors while maintaining proper air/fuel ratios.
  • 64kb of internal data logging.
F/IC OVERVIEW

The AEM F/IC is an economical solution for controlling fuel and ignition on vehicles that do not require stand-alone engine management, including variable cam timing engines like VTEC, VVTi and MiVEC. The F/IC gives users with OBD-II race vehicles and non-factory forced induction systems the ability to retard ignition and deliver accurate amounts of fuel without the need for outdated FMUs or “boost hiding” controllers. This system works parallel to the factory ECU preventing tuning limitations due to complex factory timing patterns. 21x17 maps with configurable load and RPM breakpoints are easily accessed with the F/IC's Windows-based tuning software. The F/IC draws power from PC USB interface for quick and easy calibration changes.

PRECISE FUEL DELIVERY

The F/IC intercepts the signal to the stock injectors, allowing the user to modify pulse-width by +/-100%. The F/IC is among the only piggy-back systems that can decrease injector pulse-width, allowing the user to drive larger aftermarket injectors* while still maintaining proper air / fuel ratios. This powerful system can also tap into the factory injector signal and work independently to drive up to six (6) additional injectors.

TIMING RETARD CONTROL

The F/IC can retard timing from the factory system based on engine RPM and load inputs. This is achieved by intercepting and delaying the outputs from the cam and crank position sensors to the engine- with no adverse affect on applications equipped with variable cam timing.

SENSOR CALIBRATION & CONTROL

The F/IC can also be used to recalibrate / clamp the MAF sensor, eliminating common problems with non-boosted factory MAFs. The on-board MAP sensor allows for proper fueling in boosted conditions.

CAN-BUS SYSTEMS NOT AFFECTED

Since the F/IC works in conjunction with the factory ECU, late model-vehicles equipped with a CAN-BUS system retain functionality of climate controls, dash and other components on the network.

*Can use either a frequency based flow meter sensor or the speedometer remapper but not both at the same time

PLUG & PLAY F/IC RACE CAR APPLICATIONS

More models are in development. Click here for information on non-Plug & Play applications.

VEHICLEFIC-605-06 Scion TC30-1960

KIT CONTENTS
  • F/IC Module ,Plug & Play Wiring Harness , Tuner Software CD ,Quickstart Plug & Play Instruction Manual ,Plug & Play Wiring Harness Guide,36" Vacuum Hose,3/16" T-Fitting,10' USB COM Cable , 4 - 4" Zip Ties
  • Instruction Manual
User Comments: A very nice entry level engine managment system and not very hard for the novice to learn on.

Originally Posted by RusWolf
i have an FIC i liked it when my car was running it was stable at last for me. But now i have to upgrade to EMS.

Originally Posted by B_Real45
I'm currently on the AEM FIC because I couldn't find a tuner for the Unichip and plus I wanted to tune it myself. The AEM FIC is a very simple solution for fuel and timing retard control on a boosted TC. Overall I am very happy with it...

Engine managment: AEM EMS
Class: Standalone
Cost: $1825.00
wher to get: http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-motorsports-aem.cfm

Features:
  • Plug-N-Play technology only Dezod can offer
  • V1.19 Dezod Start-up Calibration
  • Free Software Upgrades from www.aempower.com
  • Uses all of the factory sensors (except MAF)
  • Onboard 512MB datalogger
  • 16/32 Hybrid Speed Processor
  • 16 General Purpose Outputs
  • 7 Definable Switch Inputs
  • VVT-i Control
  • Anti-Lag Turbo Control (2 Styles!)
  • 2 Step Launch Control (perfect launches everytime!)
  • Programmable Traction Control
  • Can Control Boost (with an electronic solenoid)
  • Definable Cut Rev Limiters
  • Definable Knock Control
  • Fuel Table Automapping

• Closed Loop O2 Sensor Feedback (when used with a wideband)
  • Wet & Dry Nitrous Control
  • Full Idle Control
  • 4 EGT Inputs with Fuel Control
  • Individual Cylinder Fuel & Ignition Control
  • Can Datalog your Wideband O2 (with 5V analog input)
See why the AEM EMS is second to none?!??!

**A Wideband O2 with 5V Analog output is recommended
**Car is now tuned on a MAP sensor (speed density)**

The system includes the following components:
(1) Modified AEM EMS box
(1) Plug-and-play harness
(1) AEM Software disc
(1) Start up 1.19 CAL
(1) 'T1 Perfect idle' hardware kit
(1) 3 or 5 BAR MAP sensor

User Comments:

Engine managment: Unichip
Cost: $495.00
Wher to get: http://www.unichip.us/vehicle/vehicl...5-Scion-tC-24L
Features: Scion tC 2.4L

• All models '05,'06,'07,'08,'09,'10 Scion Tc supported
  • Adds up to 14hp &12ft-lb and also optimizes settings to take full advantage of all bolt-on accessories.
  • Easily plugs into the stock ECU & ECU harness in minutes , no programming necessary .
  • Realizes the full potential of Aftermarket add-on's like Cold-Air-Intakes & exhaust systems , as each kit comes pre-mapped for the exact set-up of each car or truck.
  • No end-user tuning necessary , just plug the kit into the car & you're ready to go.
  • Easily upgradeable for future add-on's.
  • Each kit comes with two maps : a low octane performance map & a high octane performance map, switchable from within the vehicle.
  • Fully tuneable by a Unichip Custom Tuner for customized add-on's . This basically means that the Engine Management System in your ride is now as tuner friendly as the most advanced Standalone systems in the world , without sacrificing any of the factory features. This feature is unmatched by any reflash-tuning or other similar product.
  • Plug 'n Play harnesses are fully Flux capable - purchase Flux when you purchase the Plug 'n Play kit or upgrade later - Flux simply plugs into the Unichip Plug 'n Play harness.
  • Plug 'n Play kits are removed from the vehicle in minutes , returning the vehicle to stock tuning , without leaving a footprint of ever having been modified (a feature which reflash-tuning cannot match). Unichip Plug n Play Facts:

• -No permanent host vehicle physical or electronic modifications with no footprint for warranty concerns.
    -Simple installation (15-45 minutes depending on application)
    -5 fully integrated user selectable map sets, each with timing, fuel, and boost curves.
    -Over 73,000 individual data points.
    -Closed-loop boost, EGT, and water temperature control.
    -Control additional fuel injectors, water injection, and nitrous.
    -Tunable at an authorized retailer.

System Components: A Unichip installation consists of a Unichip computer module, a Plug-n-Play (PnP) wiring harness, and a performance map dyno-tuned for a specific vehicle & its components. The Unichip is a solid-state computer measuring the size and weight of a MP3 player, using multiple high-speed processors to control engine tuning & performance.

Most applications are available with PDA and software for wireless tuning via bluetooth
    Click here to view applications available with PDA

user comments:

I've used the Unichip supplied by Turbonetics for their kit. It worked as designed. It is true that it's difficult to find a tuner for it, but if you can, it's a very capable unit - even more so than the FIC..

Engine managment: Greddy e-manage
Cost: $356
Wher to get: http://www.erzperformance.com/GReddy...age_s/2495.htm
Features:

When adding performance products to a car, you must ensure that the tuning is set for the modifications. Without proper tuning, the performance modifications can actually reduce power, and cause engine damage. GReddy has released the E-Manage which is a low cost, yet highly effective fuel management system that allows you to properly tune your factory ECU without having to go with a complete stand-alone unit, or sending in your ECU for a reprogram. The GReddy E-Manage system is a true and dedicated piggy back unit that works with most Japanese ECU and allows you to use the factory sensors. GReddy also offers additional sensors below which help the E-Manage if your factory sensors are maxed out, and can not read to the level necessary, or simply need to be replaced. With a stand alone system, you need to program the car from scratch, but with the GReddy E-Manage, you can use your factory ECU settings as a base map, and modify the signals by tapping the wires with the E-Manage. The GReddy E-Manage allows the tuner to adjust your settings to fine tune your car to make maximum benefits of your modifications and performance products. Highly recommended for cars that have been turbocharged, new fuel injectors, or a new MAP sensor. GReddy offers free upgrades to the E-Manage via their website, when they release new software updates. For Honda Applications, the GReddy e-Manage allows you to adjust VTEC points as well.

The GReddy E-Manage comes with a 16x16 airflow adjustment map, and allows you to correct for injectors that are 50% larger than your factory injectors. Other features include adjustments for new MAF sensors, or air flow sensors, a boost limiter cut, anti-engine stall, VTEC fuel adjustment, fuel time map trade and display, and real time communication with basic data logging. If you need to control an additional 2 injectors, the e-Manage can handle it with an extra harness. If you need to control timing, the optional ignition harness allows you to control a timing map. All of the above maps can also be map-traced in real-time as well. If the factory range of map or airflow meter is surpassed, you can incorporate a larger airflow meter or our "Optional GReddy Pressure Sensor and Pressure Harness" to set larger scales of adjustment. All installation and tuning should only be made by a trained technician with proper air/fuel monitoring tools. (Some or all functions may not be compatible with some applications.)

User comments:

Engine managment: Greddy e-manage Ultimate
Cost: $625
Wher to get: http://www.statracing.com/buy/greddy...e-ultimate.asp

Features:

GReddy E Manage Ultimate

The GReddy E Manage Ultimate is one of our favorite piggy back style management systems, because it's one of the closest to a true stang alone, except its 1/3 of the cost! The GReddy E-Manage Ultimate uses your factory sensors, so installation is quick and easy. For those applications that are plug and play, we offer a GReddy E Manage Ultimate Harness to make installation painless. The best feature of using a piggy back like the GReddy EManage Ultimate is that you can alter your settings, but not have to create a base map, since you are still using the stock ECU. Not having to alter the base map ensures you retain your full factory driveability! Unlike the normal GReddy E Manage, the Ultimate is much more granular, and more car specific, allowing you to have much greater range of adjustability with new built in options and adapters.

The GReddy E Manage features the ultimate in datalogging, and logging of dozens of channels, allowing playback to be able to fine tune.

User comments:

Engine managment: A'PEXI AFC NEO
Cost: $375
Wher to get: http://www.titanmotorsports.com/afcneo.html
Features:

• - Compact "Piggy-Back" Fuel Management Computer (+50% ~ -50%).
  • - Unit incorporates both the SAFC and the VAFC.
  • - NEW "Easy" (8-Point) & "Pro" (16 Point) Modes.
  • - NEW Color FED Display & Interchangeable Button and Background Colors.
  • - Inverting "anti-glare" screen allowing view from both angles.
Monitor Mode: - RPM, Throttle, Battery Voltage, Correction %, Air Flow %, Pressure (Kpa), Karmann, VTEC

Setting Mode: Air Map, Air Map Graph, Throttle Point, Deceleration Air, VTEC Control, VTEC Unmatch

Etc. Mode: MOdel Select, Mode Select, Sensor Select, Analog Select, Warning Set, Display Set, Sensor Check

User comments:

Engine managment: Hydra Nemesis
Class: Standalone
Cost: $1850
Wher to get: http://www.turbochargers.com/store/p...oducts_id=1367
Features:

NOTE: Retains Factory ECU for control of the "CAN" functions such as the dash and the climate control, as well as drive-by-wire throttle.
The Hydra ECU will have full control of all other engine parameters including the variable cam.
Hardware:
Auxiliary outputs:
PWM 1 - 4, 9 - 14 and 16 are general purpose switch to ground 1A current limited outputs. PWM 1 - 4 have optional free-wheeling diodes for linear control of variable solenoids. PWM 5,6 and 8 are general purpose switch to power 1A current limited outputs. All PWM channels have 33V flyback limiting. PWM 1 is not available for DBW Cars. PWM 7 and PWM 15 are currently not available.
NTK L2H2 Wideband Closed Loop Autotune:
All Nemesis 2.5 ECUs have an L2H21 driver as standard equipment. There is no need to use an external uego driver module. The L2H2 , a newer more robust version of the L1H1 Sensor is a state-of-the-art Nernst Cell sensor with a rapid response and far more useful rich end output characteristics than older, non-planar sensors. Heater current is limited for a controlled warm up, and voltage limited for constant temperature.
Ignition:
Igniter signals are fully sequential 5V ignition triggers. Firing mode is positive only (voltage output to charge coil). Output options are direct fire, wasted spark and distributor signal.
Support:
Nemesis 2.5 includes many support options that make seamless plug-and-play possible, and wire in trouble free. Advanced support features include a dedicated variable speed fuel pump signal for the WRX, Honda multiplex bus support (for climate control and gauges), dedicated circuit opening relay ground signal and dedicated sensor ground connections that reduce harness ground wire splicing.
Auxiliary inputs:
Aux 1, 2 and 3 are 0 - 5V analog or 0 - 12V digital inputs. In digital mode, the switch point is 2.5V. Aux 3, 4 and 5 are digital only inputs, with a switch point of 2.5V.
Injectors:
The Nemesis 2.5 is capable of running cars up to 8 Cylinders sequentially. Injection modes are sequential, batch fire and throttle body injection. When not used for injection, outputs 2 - 8 can be used for staged injection or general purpose switching, and outputs 2 - 5 can be used for PWM control.
Sensors:
Analog sensor inputs are coolant temp, air temp, throttle position, twin knock sensor, twin ego sensor and on-board 3 bar map sensor. Temperature sensors can be configured for the 2 most common types, and knock sensor inputs can be amplified. Digital trigger inputs are vss, trig and sync. These inputs are magnetic reluctor, Hall effect or optical sensor compatible.

User comments:
Originally Posted by Ace83
Hydra is a great management, been using it over a year and its been a great tool for me helping me learn how to tune.. I plug my computer very often and observe what is going on on my car/tune. Its pretty straight forward and have done over 100 maps with it lol

Last edited by Crush Automotive Customs; 09-12-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

if the managment system has already been listed then just write your thoughts on it and ill add it to the list...Thanks guys
Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

I got busy on it and have updated the list with a few i could think of off the top of my head...

I know dezod and p-tuning are still in the development phase with their own engine managment systems but if they would be so kind to hook me up with a link or info ill add it asap when they are available.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

bump...anyone want to add some comments on their engine managment?
Old 09-11-2009, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

i have an FIC i liked it when my car was running it was stable at last for me. But now i have to upgrade to EMS.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Hydra is a great management, been using it over a year and its been a great tool for me helping me learn how to tune.. I plug my computer very often and observe what is going on on my car/tune. Its pretty straight forward and have done over 100 maps with it lol
Old 09-11-2009, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've used the Unichip supplied by Turbonetics for their kit. It worked as designed. It is true that it's difficult to find a tuner for it, but if you can, it's a very capable unit - even more so than the FIC.

I'm currently on the AEM FIC because I couldn't find a tuner for the Unichip and plus I wanted to tune it myself. The AEM FIC is a very simple solution for fuel and timing retard control on a boosted TC. Overall I am very happy with it.

My newest management will be the Hydra Nemesis 2.6.. it's currently on its way but it will not be installed until after my other projects are done.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

let us know how the hydra works out for ya...

thanks guys for all the input.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

My newest management will be the Hydra Nemesis 2.6.. it's currently on its way but it will not be installed until after my other projects are done.
Install it FTW! if will only cost you some gas to get it running well lol.. fine tune it on the dyno when your project is done.. that way you will be well oriented with the management during the tune
Old 09-12-2009, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah that's a good idea, Ace. I just don't know if I have enough time before my car goes under the knife.. we'll see though.