Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Fluctuating Boost/Vacuum and High Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 07:35 AM

Default Fluctuating Boost/Vacuum and High Oil Pressure

Hey everyone, I purchased a tc with a turbo on it a few weeks ago. Yesterday when I was driving, I heard a whoosh and the car died. Upon inspection, I saw that the coupler going to the intercooler had come off.
After I reattached the coupler the car drove fine but the oil pressure and boost gauges were fluttering all over the place.
Today I drove the car again and it ran great. However, oil pressure was consistently greater than 100 and the boost gauge fluttered around 20 in idle. Only when I accelerated did the boost gauge show what was happening accordingly. Does anyone know what the issue could be?
Old 03-19-2016, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are the gauges wired properly? Does the oil pressure gauge have a proper input source? Have you done a boost leak test? Is the boost gauge plumbed to an adequate vacuum source? Do you have a complete list of modifications?

It sounds like you bought someones problem and need to have a professional inspect and possibly repair the vehicle. Otherwise (if the forum was actually alive) you will be hunting down the solution based on our guesses and could potentially be spending more fixing things that aren't broken. It will help to do your due diligence to locate the problem to aid the technician working on your car by answering the questions I have asked above. If you find any issues with the aftermarket gauges you can usually find the owners manual for the product online which shows how to properly install their products. Report back and let us know how it goes!