Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Tapping for BOV

Old 05-30-2015, 02:51 AM
SL Member

Default Tapping for BOV

Hello everyone, recently turboed the xB. Running a descendent kit with a Tial-Q. I'm not recirculating, I'm venting to atmosphere. I have my BOV tapped into the Vibrant vacuum block and it's not blowing off, it needs a main vacuum source. So my question is where did you guys tap to get the main source when venting to atmosphere.
P.S. I removed the air box and rain a pipe from the IC to the TB.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member

It's fluttering or flat out not blowing off at all? Do you have a boost gauge hooked up to the vac block? If everything is working read your vacuum and make sure you have the tial spring that matches that vac number. What sounds are you hearing when you boost & let off? If you absolutely don't hear a thing then you could be boost leaking all of the produced boost before it builds the pressure at the throttle body and bov location? Go on YouTube and listen to videos of cars without blow off valves. The air has to go somewhere so if the bov is in fact not opening of hooked up the car would sound like this.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:07 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Grey_Ghost08
It's fluttering or flat out not blowing off at all? Do you have a boost gauge hooked up to the vac block? If everything is working read your vacuum and make sure you have the tial spring that matches that vac number. What sounds are you hearing when you boost & let off? If you absolutely don't hear a thing then you could be boost leaking all of the produced boost before it builds the pressure at the throttle body and bov location? Go on YouTube and listen to videos of cars without blow off valves. The air has to go somewhere so if the bov is in fact not opening of hooked up the car would sound like this.
I have the BOV hooked up to the vacuum block. Read that the new Q's need direct vacuum pressure. I'm not hearing any blow off. Only compressor surge. The BOV isn't opening because the feed isn't great enough. I purchased a second manifold to make a few taps and will run off direct vacuum from the manifold to the BOV.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where is your vacuum source for the block? You should be using the brake booster which should be a very strong source since it needs to assist in braking force. Also, check your springs on the bov. I see that some people have issues with too stiff of a spring with that bov.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:33 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
Where is your vacuum source for the block? You should be using the brake booster which should be a very strong source since it needs to assist in braking force. Also, check your springs on the bov. I see that some people have issues with too stiff of a spring with that bov.
It's off the brake booster, I'm at 22 in. of vacuum at idle. I have a 22-24 spring.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Strange. You can certainly try a dedicated vac source, but that one really should be pretty good. You can also try a slightly weaker spring, provided that it stays closed at idle.

I'm not familiar with this particular bov. Is there a preload adjustment?