Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo leak causing stall?

Old 04-17-2015, 11:37 PM

Default Turbo leak causing stall?

Alright guys. I'm new to this whole car thing. I just got an 07 Scion tC, that came turboed. I know I have a turbo leak, not sure from where. The mechanic quoted about $400 to fix it. Sometimes when I hit boost and slow down too quickly almost to a stop, my car stalls. I just recently changed my cam shaft position sensor because I thought that had something to do with it, and it was bad anyway. So, I was wondering if fixing the turbo leak would fix that problem as well? Thank you guys!!
Old 04-17-2015, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you getting a CEL? The mechanic said he would fix it. So he must know what the problem is. So... what's the problem? A "turbo leak" unfortunately isn't a real thing, it's pretty vague. Maybe a vacuum leak is what you are talking about? But anyways, what did the mechanic say? When it dies coming to a stop, or a slow, that's usually a battery issue/alternator issue.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Are you getting a CEL? The mechanic said he would fix it. So he must know what the problem is. So... what's the problem? A "turbo leak" unfortunately isn't a real thing, it's pretty vague. Maybe a vacuum leak is what you are talking about? But anyways, what did the mechanic say? When it dies coming to a stop, or a slow, that's usually a battery issue/alternator issue.
He didn't really specify. All he said was I had a turbo leak and could fix it for $400. It only stalls when I hit high boost and slow quickly. I thought it was a coupler at first causing the leak because it had a hole it in, but I replaced it and that wasn't the issue. All I know is my turbo is spitting out oil all over the place and starts smoking. Sorry for not having much info. I'm just learning about all of this. I was just wondering if that could cause a stall as well. If it is a vacuum leak, could that cause stalling?
Old 04-18-2015, 12:56 AM

But yes, when it stalls the CEL comes on, but then it starts right back up without a problem and the CEL goes off.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well right right, when it stalls, all of the lights come on because essentially, the key is just in the "on" position. So that's fine. Yeah, with that, I would say vacuum line blew off or something for the stalling. But the oil issue with the turbo is not good at all man. I thinking a turbo seal or gasket is blown. It sounds like the dude before you might have had issues with it already, I doubt this is all your doing. If you aren't really keen to repair this, you have to do it right and have someone fix it who know what's up, you know. It's not a bad thing, but if your turbo is spitting oil, that's a receipt for disaster, and you could be looking at a lot more money. The smoke is the loose burning oil, so that's not a concern, that is if you are right and the turbo is leaking oil. That would make sense, and it's making more sense why you used the term "turbo leak" so my bad on that. And yes, vacuum leaks cause stalls, not sure if I said that already, just trying to answer all of your questions. And don't worry about not having a ton of info, it's all good. You just take what info you have and go from there. So now you should know what you have to do. You gotta remove that turbo and see if you can see a root cause or where oil could be sneaking through.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:10 PM

Well right right, when it stalls, all of the lights come on because essentially, the key is just in the "on" position. So that's fine. Yeah, with that, I would say vacuum line blew off or something for the stalling. But the oil issue with the turbo is not good at all man. I thinking a turbo seal or gasket is blown. It sounds like the dude before you might have had issues with it already, I doubt this is all your doing. If you aren't really keen to repair this, you have to do it right and have someone fix it who know what's up, you know. It's not a bad thing, but if your turbo is spitting oil, that's a receipt for disaster, and you could be looking at a lot more money. The smoke is the loose burning oil, so that's not a concern, that is if you are right and the turbo is leaking oil. That would make sense, and it's making more sense why you used the term "turbo leak" so my bad on that. And yes, vacuum leaks cause stalls, not sure if I said that already, just trying to answer all of your questions. And don't worry about not having a ton of info, it's all good. You just take what info you have and go from there. So now you should know what you have to do. You gotta remove that turbo and see if you can see a root cause or where oil could be sneaking through.
Awesome man. I really appreciate all the info. I'm definitely going to get it taken care of ASAP. Thank you so much!
Old 04-18-2015, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most importantly brother, make sure you come back on here and let us know what happened or if you have more questions. Without a solution, this thread is meaningless. Know what I'm saying?
Old 04-19-2015, 06:25 PM

Most importantly brother, make sure you come back on here and let us know what happened or if you have more questions. Without a solution, this thread is meaningless. Know what I'm saying?
I certainly will! I'm going to start using this site on the daily. Haha. A lot of good information and help. Thanks again! I'll let you know how everything goes.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great.. info , It's true this gives other users a place to go when In doubt and need of help.. the solution is one of the most important part of any thread...
Old 04-20-2015, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would think it might be your blow of valve, getting stuck.. might need service.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cmcpride
I would think it might be your blow of valve, getting stuck.. might need service.
I was thinking the BOV too, but not necessarily getting stuck. Is the BOV venting to atmosphere? If so, when you come to a stop from a high rev, there is a whole bunch of metered air that is being released to atmosphere by the BOV. Since your MAF sensor already metered the air, it will add the fuel to match, which will result in a temporary extremely rich condition. This can cause you to stall, and has been a very common occurrence in MAF metering systems when venting BOVs to atmosphere.

Your options would be to recirculate the MAF if that option is available, or to keep revs up when slowing down by leaving it in gear or blipping the throttle before stalling occurs. Also, some piggyback ECU systems have ways of coping with this, although I can't say I have experience with how well they work.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we need a few bits of informtion, find out what cel code it is, also are you running blow through or draw through? on either setup if you have surging or backwash it can screw with maf readings causing the engine to stall..a leak on the other hand causes rich conditions in your power band which also can cause stalling.

(assuming your running a maf and not map.)

so find out if you either have a leak, or a faulty bov/dv..and find out the code and that should point you in the right direction.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine did that when I had the maf before the BOV. Caused it to go lean for a split second and it would stall
Old 04-23-2016, 05:34 AM

Totally forgot to tell everyone what was going on, and I just found my old thread and read all the responses. But this guy was right. The guy before me put on an atmosphere BOV when it needed to be a recir. I got a tial recirc BOV and it took care of the issue right away. As for the "turbo leak", that was actually just the oil return line that needed replaced. Good news is she's now fixed up and working towards more power. If you guys could only have seen all the other issues with the car that the previous owner did to the car... lol. It was a nightmare.
Originally Posted by bbsciontc
I was thinking the BOV too, but not necessarily getting stuck. Is the BOV venting to atmosphere? If so, when you come to a stop from a high rev, there is a whole bunch of metered air that is being released to atmosphere by the BOV. Since your MAF sensor already metered the air, it will add the fuel to match, which will result in a temporary extremely rich condition. This can cause you to stall, and has been a very common occurrence in MAF metering systems when venting BOVs to atmosphere.

Your options would be to recirculate the MAF if that option is available, or to keep revs up when slowing down by leaving it in gear or blipping the throttle before stalling occurs. Also, some piggyback ECU systems have ways of coping with this, although I can't say I have experience with how well they work.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eric29
Totally forgot to tell everyone what was going on, and I just found my old thread and read all the responses. But this guy was right. The guy before me put on an atmosphere BOV when it needed to be a recir. I got a tial recirc BOV and it took care of the issue right away. As for the "turbo leak", that was actually just the oil return line that needed replaced. Good news is she's now fixed up and working towards more power. If you guys could only have seen all the other issues with the car that the previous owner did to the car... lol. It was a nightmare.
Good that you got it fixed and came back lol. Better late than never Sounds like you learned a lot though! Whats the plan for the future?
Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by burgandybomber
Good that you got it fixed and came back lol. Better late than never Sounds like you learned a lot though! Whats the plan for the future?
Definitely have learned a lot. This forums are life savers. Lol. And I finally found a mechanic who knows all about turboed cars. That's always a plus. Lol. But right now, I just got everything fixed and tuned about two weeks ago. Got it tuned to the most it could handle on stock injectors. I'm about to get some higher CC fuel injectors along with a high flow fuel pump. Then I'm going to work on a few engine internals to handle a high tuner and higher boost.