Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Wastegate set to 14psi but only get 8 lbs of boost

Old 11-20-2014, 04:44 AM

Default Wastegate set to 14psi but only get 8 lbs of boost

Ok, so back story is I bought this car turbo'd from a dealership. Dezod turbo kit done right. Obviously a junkyard motor so previous owners probably blew it (not surprising when you are runing 14 psi lol) but anywho at peak boost I'm only hitting 8 psi. I checked and there isn't a boost controller anywhere, and so I'm trying to figure out what could be causing it. I'm also running around -20 to -22 most of the time in vaccum. I'm thinking the following:

1. Exhaust leak
2. bad turbo - I actually have it removed atm. the shaft play is there but is not significant.
3. Leak in IC piping.

What's really weird though is that it always stays at exactly 8/9psi no matter how much I get on it or how much I load up the turbo. Any ideas?
Old 11-20-2014, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by darkshadowofxdeath
Ok, so back story is I bought this car turbo'd from a dealership. Dezod turbo kit done right. Obviously a junkyard motor so previous owners probably blew it (not surprising when you are runing 14 psi lol) but anywho at peak boost I'm only hitting 8 psi. I checked and there isn't a boost controller anywhere, and so I'm trying to figure out what could be causing it. I'm also running around -20 to -22 most of the time in vaccum. I'm thinking the following:

1. Exhaust leak
2. bad turbo - I actually have it removed atm. the shaft play is there but is not significant.
3. Leak in IC piping.

What's really weird though is that it always stays at exactly 8/9psi no matter how much I get on it or how much I load up the turbo. Any ideas?
oooor your wastegate is failing and somehow opening too early. this might happen if you have a manual boost controller setup is failing and your wastegate was originally only setup with an 7-8 psi spring. so it may have fallen back down tot he original spring pressure.. so check all of your wastegate boost refference tubing to and from it or the turbo.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:49 PM

I've pulled the spring, its the tial big blue spring and should be running 14psi, no boost controller.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

might be the small blue u have any pics
Old 11-21-2014, 01:23 AM

I checked, it's def the big spring. Is it possible the spring is worn out? What are the chances its a bad turbo?
Old 11-21-2014, 10:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check the IC pipes and check that the bov isn't leaking. If the valve bleeds off boost (i.e. acting like a pop-off valve to prevent overboost), it'll never even get up to 14psi for the wastegate to open.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

You must have a mechanical problem because the system will for sure make 14 PSI. Pho Fun Racing did this on that boost level with an S1.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:29 PM

well I found a bit of shaft play in the turbo so I'm getting that rebuilt, I'm doing the entire exhaust side with new gaskets and such to make sure I don't have any leaks there. I'm going to then probably go ahead and redo the inter cooler piping all the way through, and I'm also going to replace the waste gate spring with an 8psi one and a boost controller. on the upside I know why my car was dumping too much fuel into the motor, as it clearly was meant to run 14psi lol. Am I missing anything?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your car is dumping more fuel than it needs, that really sounds like a boost leak. The ecu will only add fuel based on air flow into the motor. If you were only seeing 8 pounds, the ecu should be injecting the amount of fuel necessary for that amount of air flow.

However, if you have a boost leak, the ECU will have metered that air at the mass air sensor, but will be running very rich because the air is escaping somewhere and not making it all the way to the engine.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
You must have a mechanical problem because the system will for sure make 14 PSI. Pho Fun Racing did this on that boost level with an S1.

The civic wouldnt even show up on that graph
I miss boost... How you been bud? Enjoying the weather?

Go fix that boost leak son! And if it isnt that, it sounds like everything is rebuilt now anyways. A leak down and a pressure test of the system is always good to know where you stand.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by burgandybomber
The civic wouldnt even show up on that graph
I miss boost... How you been bud? Enjoying the weather?

Go fix that boost leak son! And if it isnt that, it sounds like everything is rebuilt now anyways. A leak down and a pressure test of the system is always good to know where you stand.

Weather has been OK lately. Not terrible. How's the UP treatin ya?
Old 12-12-2014, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Weather has been OK lately. Not terrible. How's the UP treatin ya?
Its been fine since that first big snow storm. I saw the Bills had to come to my neck of the woods a few weeks ago. It was a free game and I almost went just to heckle the crap out of Gym Shorts (Jim Schwartz). Whats up with Dat NFC South?

Off topic but we are probably the only ones on here. Any tips on storage for the Tc? We put some Sta-Bil in the tank and filled it. Put fresh oil in it, put a few drops in the spark hole and cranked it without spark a few times to coat it and rolled it out back with a cover. Removed the battery too.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by burgandybomber
Its been fine since that first big snow storm. I saw the Bills had to come to my neck of the woods a few weeks ago. It was a free game and I almost went just to heckle the crap out of Gym Shorts (Jim Schwartz). Whats up with Dat NFC South?

Off topic but we are probably the only ones on here. Any tips on storage for the Tc? We put some Sta-Bil in the tank and filled it. Put fresh oil in it, put a few drops in the spark hole and cranked it without spark a few times to coat it and rolled it out back with a cover. Removed the battery too.
LOL! Should have.

NFC South is loserville. Not one team about .500

Seriously though.

All good moves, except the new oil change IMO. Moisture will sit in that oil from the constant cold and such. I'd change the oil again in spring too for good measure.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL! Should have.

NFC South is loserville. Not one team about .500

Seriously though.

All good moves, except the new oil change IMO. Moisture will sit in that oil from the constant cold and such. I'd change the oil again in spring too for good measure.
I changed the oil because it was at 4k with two track days in it. My buddy can start it now and then but I figured that would put acid in the oil = bad for the iron sleeves?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by darkshadowofxdeath

1. Exhaust leak
3. Leak in IC piping.

Sounds like a boost leak to me, check all of the lines as well as the wastegate and turbo gaskets off the manifold