Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

audio system upgrade

Old 04-14-2015, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default audio system upgrade

Hello i have 2006 tc and i like to upgrade my audio system/
i'm planning to upgrade two front speaker, audio receiver, Tweeters and subwoofer. my tc does not have oem sub-woofer installed. i want to connect front two speaker and sub woofer to ampfiler, can anyone tell me how to do it and it there more item that i have to purchase? also am i buying right products?

amp:
Amazon.com: Boss Audio R1100M - 1100 Watt, Monoblock, Class A/B, MOSFET Amplifier With Remote Subwoofer Level Control: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Boss Audio R1100M - 1100 Watt, Monoblock, Class A/B, MOSFET Amplifier With Remote Subwoofer Level Control: Car Electronics

sub:
Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate P300-10 Punch Powered Loaded 10-Inch Subwoofer Enclosure: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate P300-10 Punch Powered Loaded 10-Inch Subwoofer Enclosure: Car Electronics

receiver:
Amazon.com : Pioneer FHX-720BT 2-DIN CD Receiver with Mixtrax, Bluetooth® for Hands-Free Calling and Audio Streaming, Siri Eyes Free, USB Playback, Pandora, Android Music Support : Electronics Amazon.com : Pioneer FHX-720BT 2-DIN CD Receiver with Mixtrax, Bluetooth® for Hands-Free Calling and Audio Streaming, Siri Eyes Free, USB Playback, Pandora, Android Music Support : Electronics

Tweeters :
Amazon.com : Polk Audio DB1001 1-Inch Silk/Polymer Composite Dome Tweeters (Pair, Black) : Vehicle Tweeters : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Polk Audio DB1001 1-Inch Silk/Polymer Composite Dome Tweeters (Pair, Black) : Vehicle Tweeters : Car Electronics

front two speakers:
Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-A1675R 6-1/2" 3-Way TS Series Coaxial Car Speakers: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-A1675R 6-1/2" 3-Way TS Series Coaxial Car Speakers: Car Electronics

Speaker Connector:
Amazon.com: Metra 72-8104 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota Vehicles: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 72-8104 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota Vehicles: Car Electronics

Radio Wiring Harness:
Amazon.com : Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker : Vehicle Wiring Harnesses : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker : Vehicle Wiring Harnesses : Car Electronics

Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit:
Amazon.com: BOSS Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit: Car Electronics Amazon.com: BOSS Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit: Car Electronics

Crimping/Wire Stripping Tool:
Neiko 50413A Solderless Wire Terminal and Connection Kit with Crimping/Wire Stripping Tool, 175-Piece - Ring Terminals - Amazon.com Neiko 50413A Solderless Wire Terminal and Connection Kit with Crimping/Wire Stripping Tool, 175-Piece - Ring Terminals - Amazon.com
Old 04-14-2015, 05:16 PM

The only thing it looks like you're missing is the speaker mounts for your doors. If the speakers are 6 1/2" they will fit. I was able to install my speakers without the mount but I sure wish I would've spent the little extra and bought legit mounts instead of ghetto rigging some setup.
For your amp, you're going to run the power cable from your battery through the firewall under the driver's side next to the dead pedal. I believe it can be removed to be able to run it alongside it, or there should be a removal panel to do so. You'll run this cable under the paneling in the door frame next to the driver's seat to the trunk or wherever you decide to put your amp. Now the error that even many audio shops make is running the RCA cable on the same side as the amplifier power cable. DO NOT DO THIS. Run both cables on opposite sides to prevent any feedback. You'll hear the feedback between songs or whenever the audio is turned up but you're not streaming. The reason most places make this error is simply because it saves time by not having to take off double the panels.

Watch some install videos online and you should be fine. Remember to pry off the pieces and panels in places that would be least visible of you cracked it.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hold on, I'm looking at your stuff and it doesn't look right. The RF sub you show above is powered, meaning it already has an amp built in. If you go with this, you do not need a second monoblock amp. Instead, I'd recommend the following setup:

AMP: Purchase either a 3 channel or 4 channel amplifier. In the case of a 3 channel, 1 channel will power the sub, and the other two will power the fronts. For a 4 channel, 2 channels will power the fronts, and the remaining two will be bridged to power the sub.

Sub: If you buy a 3 channel amp, get an unpowered sub-box combo that has a final 2 ohm impedance. This will get the max power from the subwoofer channel of the amp. If you purchase a 4 channel amp instead, make sure the sub-box combo has a final impedance of 4 ohm which will allow you to bridge the two channels for maximum power.

Front channels: Don't do separate coaxials and tweeters. By a 6.5" component speaker set. This will include the 6.5"midbass, tweeter and crossover network needed to run them together. Each midbass/tweeter pair will then run of the remaining to channels on the amp. You will likely need an adapter plate to install the front speakers. These can be purchased, or you can make your own out of 3/4" MDF if you're crafty.

The rest of it looks okay, although I would prefer to run new speaker wire to the crossover and to the front speakers rather than using those speaker connectors.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would suggest get a 5 channel amp , a set of component speakers for the front and a nice sub.
Amazon.com : Rockford Fosgate R600X5 Prime 5-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Electronics Amazon.com : Rockford Fosgate R600X5 Prime 5-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Electronics

Amazon.com : Jl Audio CP110-W0v3 : Vehicle Subwoofer Boxes : Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate R165-S R1 Prime 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate R165-S R1 Prime 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System: Car Electronics