Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

iPhone connection

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

funny, I use my iphone every day with my car and have no trouble, don't have to enable airplane or anything, rings just fine, gets all it's messages and everything, etc..

if you enter airplane mode you can't get calls remember, and then what's the point of having a phone..

mine is an '06 with the premium HU for the ipod connectivity.

mine quiets with incoming calls and then rings whatever i have it set to out of the car speakers lol, then i can answer it on speaker phone or unplug it and answer it, but either way i have had *no* trouble with my iphone under any firmware or either bootloader or jailbroken or not.

actually, i take that back, i can't access my 'on the go' playlist on my iphone but i have been able to on my previous ipods, but it doesn't bug me.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, it works fine in the 08 also. Plug it in, and just control it, don't have to touch it at all.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chichum
You can not dock an iPhone... Only generations 2-4 iPods will work. The 5th generation and iPhone are not compatible with the system... You can hook it through an AUX port (just the standard headphone jack) but that's it. You can not control it with your HU
I'd like to call BS on that one...
I have a 4G ipod that works fine- as it should. No news there.
My wife's 80G "Classic" works just great.
Likewise, I tested my friends iPod Touch when I was considering getting one, and it also worked just fine.
I haven't actually tested an iPhone personally, but my friends that have said it also works fine. With the Touch and iPhone, you just have to make sure you put it in music mode before plugging it in.

I have yet to meet an ipod of any variety that didn't work just fine with my HU.

(All tests performed using the Scion iPod connection and Scion HU in my 06 tC)
Old 06-05-2008, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chichum
You can not dock an iPhone... Only generations 2-4 iPods will work. The 5th generation and iPhone are not compatible with the system... You can hook it through an AUX port (just the standard headphone jack) but that's it. You can not control it with your HU
Hmm... I have an 08 tC and my iPhone works great... all i do it plug in.. wait 5 seconds and switch to ipod mode.... no problems at all... i still get my texts and phone callls too
Old 06-05-2008, 04:12 PM

I also have no problem using my iPhone with an 08 base HU. Just plug it in, give it a moment to be recognized by the HU, say "no" to airplane mode (I use a bluetooth earpiece), and control it through the HU. True, you can't get to podcasts unless you've put them in a playlist, or if you select as artist/album. But I manage. Sound quality is pretty good, for MP3. No more stupid pirate radio stations interfering, like I had with an FM transmitter.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay I'm using my stock head unit from a 2008 tC. When I plug my Iphone in, it recognizes the phone and whatever but when I want to play music it plays from my Iphone speakers instead of car speakers..? How can I fix that lol? Also I am able to control the Iphone via the head unit.. thanks in advance for the help :]

*Edit. Lmao well never mind on this question haha. I restarted my phone and it works now.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default My Complaint with the iPhone and our cars

I have the 3G iPhone and it works seamlessly with my connection cord and port that came with my 08 tC. The one freaking problem I have is that when I had the 2G iPhone, I was able to charge it via the cord and port and the 3G won't let you. It says some BS about unsupported hardware. Its frustrating because I have had to go spend $30 on another cord to keep in my car when it worked perfectly fine with the 2G.

I forgot to mention that the HU in my car is the upgrade option with iPod connection that came with the car.

Apple could probably fix this seeing as how it worked on the 2G iPhones so COME ON APPLE, get with it. Stop trying to take more of my money!
Old 12-03-2008, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where do you guys keep your phone while its connected...just laying around? it seems easier to just have an ipod shuffle or something and just keep in connected in your arm rest forever
Old 12-03-2008, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

gonna move this to a more appropriate area!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: My Complaint with the iPhone and our cars

Originally Posted by hypnospastic
I have the 3G iPhone and it works seamlessly with my connection cord and port that came with my 08 tC. The one freaking problem I have is that when I had the 2G iPhone, I was able to charge it via the cord and port and the 3G won't let you. It says some BS about unsupported hardware. Its frustrating because I have had to go spend $30 on another cord to keep in my car when it worked perfectly fine with the 2G.

I forgot to mention that the HU in my car is the upgrade option with iPod connection that came with the car.

Apple could probably fix this seeing as how it worked on the 2G iPhones so COME ON APPLE, get with it. Stop trying to take more of my money!
I had the same problem going to the 3G with the phone not charging. I saw online the Scosche Passport adapter and decided to purchase it from the Apple Store and now I can charge my phone and listen to it like my old 2G off of the factory plug. This is for my 08 xB2 but I would assume its the same thing radio wise. Check it out here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS...mco=MjIwMTg2NQ

Hope this helps
Old 10-21-2014, 12:02 AM

I have an 08 Scion xb and the ipod connector is not reading my iphone 4s and it used to. I tested the phone in my friend's ipod connector in his car and it reads and my connector reads his Iphone. Can anyone help? how can I remedy this?