Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

New Scosche alarm/remote start really a Compustar unit?

Old 07-29-2006, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Default New Scosche alarm/remote start really a Compustar unit?

Flipping through a magazine the other day, I came upon an ad for Scosche's new line of alarm/remote start systems. The transmitter for their alarm looked a lot like the transmitter for the Compustar alarm that I was looking into a few months ago.

Here's the Scosche unit and some of its features:

3000 Ft. Range
2-Way FM 900MHz Alarm & Keyless Entry System
Vibrating and Audible Pager Alerts
LCD Graphics Confirm Alarm System Functions for: Arm/Lock, Disarm/Unlock, Zone Violations and more
4-Button Companion Non-Paging Remote for Valet use
Starter Kill Output with pre-wired relay
Dual Stage Shock Sensor
Super Bright Blue LEDs

And here's the Compustar unit and some of its features:

Up to 3000* feet of Range
This model was introduced during the first half of 2004. It has the largest LCD of any CompuStar remotes along with a built in clock. The 900MHz technology used in the 2WSS-Series was re-tooled for a longer battery life and a quicker response time between the transmitter and receiver. Firstech engineers were the first to perfect 900MHz FM for vehicle security applications.
*Range is quoted for U.S. models only. International models will differ in range.

Available in blue (2nd car) or gray (turbo) (Includes 1 x two-way remote and 1 x one-way remote)

Basic Remote Features

Two-way paging remote
Vibration and audible notification
Run-time indicator
Turbo timer or 2nd Car
CompuGlow backlight
Multi-color LCD (liquid crystal display)
Shock sensor on/off through remote
Passive on/off through remote
Valet mode on/off through remote
Uses standard AAA battery
Built in Clock
Largest LCD of any CompuStar remotes
2004 Innovation Award Winner

Basic Alarm/Start Features

Includes dual stage shock sensor
RPS (remote paging system)
External Siren (six-tone)
Super bright blue LED
2-auxillary outputs
Dedicated trunk output
Horn honk output
Includes anti-grind and starter-kill relay
Driver's priority unlock
Ignition controlled door locks
Trunk output
Remote start
Diesel features built-in
Manual transmission compatible

As you can see, the transmitters look very similar and the units both share a number of the same features. What I would like to know is if anyone knows if the Scosche unit is the same as the Compustar. I'm looking into getting an alarm by the end of the year, and its a lot easier to find Scosche than it is to find Compustar. If they're the same thing, I'll just get the Scosche. Anyone have any knowlede about these?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yes it's the same. They use the same brain. Compustar is based in canada and Scosche is US, that's why you don't see or here too much from compustar in the US. It's like viper and clifford is the same.

I had a compustar alarm/remote start, just make sure you get someone who knows how to put it in the tC. Me and my brother-in-law attempted to install it (he's a ford mechanic) and we failed with the remote start. I pulled it all out and took it to an autharized compustar installer and they didn't get the alarm or remote start right. I will be going with just an alarm from viper or clifford next time.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
Yes it's the same. They use the same brain. Compustar is based in canada and Scosche is US, that's why you don't see or here too much from compustar in the US. It's like viper and clifford is the same.

I had a compustar alarm/remote start, just make sure you get someone who knows how to put it in the tC. Me and my brother-in-law attempted to install it (he's a ford mechanic) and we failed with the remote start. I pulled it all out and took it to an autharized compustar installer and they didn't get the alarm or remote start right. I will be going with just an alarm from viper or clifford next time.
The authorized installer couldn't get it right? What happened? Would I be able to get a Compustar unit installed by a Scosche installer? The Compustar unit seems to be less expensive than the Scosche version.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I don't see why not, like I said they use the same brain so all the wiring is the same but of course you'll want to make sure first.

As for what happened with my install I think it was a matter of they didn't know the car and didn't bother to lookup all the wiring info for the car even though I had it in the kit for them and you can tell they never looked at it cuz the page wasn't even wrinkled or creased. With the compustar there's a few things that needs to be down on a tC install that wouldn't be needed in other cars. Just make sure they've installed on a tC and pay with a credit card. I went through so much bull trying to get my money back cuz I paid cash and got so stressed over it I just told them F-you and took a vaction (really I did). I'll never let that happen again and if it does I now know how to deal with it.