Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Replacing Stereo with Factory Subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 06:43 PM

Default Replacing Stereo with Factory Subwoofer?

Hi there,

I am looking to replace my 2006 Scion TC RS 2.0's factory stereo, but every single option I have found on Crutchfield has the following warning under the installation details...

"When you replace the factory radio, the factory subwoofer won't work anymore."

The RS 2.0 has this, and I would like to keep it but upgrade my Stereo to something that at least supports Bluetooth.

Why is this? I am not very well versed in audio technology. Does anyone have any suggestions on Stereo systems that WILL allow me to keep the factory subwoofer?

Thank you!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

the subwoofer is connected with their own harness that plugs into an added plug that fits the standard speaker wiring which then all goes back into the normal plug into the back of the radio.

Basically:
subwoofer --------------------|Adapter Plug|>---Radio
Standard Wiring ----------------^

In theory, there is no difference to the new plug as it has all of the same wiring and signals as the regular one, it just doubles up the Right/Left/Remote/Power signals to go to the added subwoofer.

It sounds like they will just use the standard wiring and leaving the subwoofer wiring and adapter unplugged, you should be able to just use the wiring coming off after the adapter and not before it and keep your subwoofer?

I have not had any problem upgrading my radios to newer one and I haven't lost the subwoofer.
My setup is a bit different though, i added upgraded speakers and amps but used the factory subwoofer wiring and upgraded to the 2010 scion upgrade head unit with wiring to change the old iPod port to a newer USB port.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by gjpjr84
the subwoofer is connected with their own harness that plugs into an added plug that fits the standard speaker wiring which then all goes back into the normal plug into the back of the radio.

Basically:
subwoofer --------------------|Adapter Plug|>---Radio
Standard Wiring ----------------^

In theory, there is no difference to the new plug as it has all of the same wiring and signals as the regular one, it just doubles up the Right/Left/Remote/Power signals to go to the added subwoofer.

It sounds like they will just use the standard wiring and leaving the subwoofer wiring and adapter unplugged, you should be able to just use the wiring coming off after the adapter and not before it and keep your subwoofer?

I have not had any problem upgrading my radios to newer one and I haven't lost the subwoofer.
My setup is a bit different though, i added upgraded speakers and amps but used the factory subwoofer wiring and upgraded to the 2010 scion upgrade head unit with wiring to change the old iPod port to a newer USB port.
Here is one of the specific Stereo I am looking at if it helps at all.

Pioneer AVH-270BT DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

There is a picture of the back with all connections and wiring.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

it would depend on how they end up wiring the stock wiring into the aftermarket harness.

like i wrote above, it sounds like they would just unplug the subwoofer harness/adapter and only use the standard harness.
I don't know of any reason why they wouldn't use the wiring after the adapter to keep the subwoofer.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default aftermarket hu w/ factory subwoofer

"I was successfully able to integrate the stock subwoofer! It's a very simple fix. The blue wire labeled as the "power antenna" on the wiring harness is the trick. Obviously we don't have a power antenna, this is actually the remote turn-on wire for our stock sub. Just connect this to the remote power line from the head unit and you're golden. Simply connect the blue power antenna on the stock side to the blue/white line from the radio!"
'08+ Factory Subwoofer with Aftermarket HU - Scion tC Forums