Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Subwoofer FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Subwoofer FAQ

Could someone write me a quick FAQ on the best methods and options for connecting an aftermarket subwoofer to the OEM stereo? Just something like parts you might need or how to wire it. You can post it or PM me with it...

I'll eventually be making an FAQ sticky (kinda like my suspension FAQ and such).

Help me out... we get about 10 of these posts per week and I want to cut that down.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone??
Old 06-07-2006, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

your going to need one of these...

1)Stepdown/RCA converter/whatever you call it
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Audio-2-Chann...QQcmdZViewItem
-this gets spliced into the harness' rear speaker wires, rear left neg/pos, rear right pos/neg. This takes the low end signal and converts to an rca. Connect rcas to stepdown, and rcas to amp.

2)RCA wires, Ground, Power, Signal wires
-Power, Ground should be self explanitory... see above comment for RCAs. Signal wires usually attach to the blue w/ white stripe wire behind the deck.

3) Connet positive and negative speaker wires to amp and the sub box and hope is works... if it doesnt this is where the fun starts.

Just let me know if you want me to go more in depth ack..
Old 06-07-2006, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The other stuff I'm looking for would be if maybe there were other options for part 1.

Also, didn't mention it in the first post, but any good links for wiring diagrams or sub/amp recommendations would help also.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member

This is the best thing I've seen so far. Bought it myself, and it works great...this guy personally makes them and sells them, so talk to him:

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/in...opic=5506&st=0
Old 06-11-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I actually just finished up my sub install(wish i could get pics for ya)

Here my supplies(1 amp hook up kit-1000watts, like 30 bucks at walmart, 1 line-out converter-converst speaker wires to RCA, 1 amplifier, 2 10" subs)

Put my amp right besides the spare tire, under the carpet piece, ran power wire down, under car upto battery, ran signal wire to right rear speaker, spliced it into all 4 channels of my amp, ran remote to gray wire in large connector behind stereo)

one other thing i might change in the future, is run the signal wire from all four channels in the back of the radio, which is a little more confusing(don't know what colors are the speakers in their

the line out converter was the hardest thing for me to find, took me a while, but i know our walmart has them-if nothing else, do a search online and u might be able to find it

need any more help, PM me[/img]
Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

all the MTX amps can accept speaker level input so you don't need to run RCA inputs. The TA series amps like I have in my car come with an RCA adapter that has an RCA end with a pig tail that you can connect to the positive and negative points on the rear speaker itself for example if you were looking to add a sub amp, and then plug the RCA into the amp and it can has an input sensity adjustment button so you can still have plenty of output.

Any questions and you can PM me and I'll help you out. We designed our amps to be able to be used with a factory head unit without having to purchase any extra hardware like a "high to low" adapter.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member

Default Door panels

How do you get the doorpanels off! I know they snap off but i have asked several friensd with tc's and no one knows......After market speakers have been bought.........but not clue how to get them in.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i believe you start around the chrome ring, that little thingy pops off, not the ring but the whole arm like thing

next there is a little pop off thingy by the tweeter in the doors

i know there is supposed to be 3 screws.....if this doesn't take car of it, look at mandos thread about 32 eu-700's, there is a link in his sig on how to tear apart a tC
Old 12-02-2006, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

instead of sliceing the cutting factory wires and buying adapter, i just went the the dealer and bought wire harness for the scion subwoofer for $52, cut off the plug conector for the sub and sliced it with the High Input connector that came with my sub, same wire colors 2 for easy install. (note the harness wires also include positive and ground wires, but thats for the preamp sub so i just insulated them safely) I still had to run positive from the battery and hook up the ground to the amp
Old 12-13-2006, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member

I installed an Infinity BassLinkII which is a powered sub. We hooked it up through the speaker level inputs by splicing into the rear speaker wires.

Whenever I turn the volume up, the subwoofer cuts off. I've taken it to a couple of people and they don't really know what to do, but tell me that the speaker level inputs are probably not good enough and that I should get a RCA line converter.

Does anyone have an opinion?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:42 AM

I had the same thing happen to me, I installed a MTX amp, tapped into the left rear speaker and hooked up to the speaker-level inputs on the amp... the factory head unit did not like this, and would cut off audio to all the speakers randomly, leaving only the amp running. When I would disconnect power from the amp the speakers would all start working again. When it was working, it didn't even sound that great and there was no real bass control. It was all good stuff too, kicker comp VR, q-logic sealed box, streetwires cable.. it was surprising. Ended up returning everything to crutchfield (thank god for their liberal return policy) So, long story short... no sub for my tC
Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 PM

Is there a some sort of "port hole" on the fire-wall fit for a power wire? I can't seem to find one. I don't want to run any wires outside the car, or drill any holes.

If anyone knows, please help me.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by jamesgatz
...the factory head unit did not like this, and would cut off audio to all the speakers randomly, leaving only the amp running. When I would disconnect power from the amp the speakers would all start working again. When it was working, it didn't even sound that great and there was no real bass control....
It sounds like you had something hooked up backwards, like neg to pos and vice versa. OR it could be a bad RCA converter (I dont' know it's real name). I just wired my friend's lexus with an MTX amp off his stock unit and his problem turned out to be that converter to the RCA cables. I replaced that with one I got at walmart for $17 and his system sounds great. I used the same piece for my system, which I've got a kicker comp 10" and an infinity 600-watt amp wired off the right rear speaker. My system also sounds pretty good too. This is a VERY do-able project, I will gladly do a walk-through with photos and everything (maybe even a video too) if you really want.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So there is no subwoofer out on the stock head unit? It almost sounds easier to jsut replace the head unit... Would that also give you mroe control of taking the bass off of the stock speakers and using the sub instead? Sorry for the questions...
Old 03-15-2007, 07:49 PM

No, the stock units do not have SW out. It might be easier for some, but I personally dont' want to because I want to have that deceptive "stock" look. Besides, unless I replace it with a DVD/touchscreen/nav unit that's double-din, stock is fine for me...plus I dont' have the money to replace it with fancy stuff. As far as removing bass, I have my bass at -5 (lowest possible) and my sub still hits hard. If you set the radio EQ to "feel" then you'll still get that deep bass.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default where the hell is the remote amp power for stock stereo

yeah....i got my mtx sub and amp in my tc rs 2.0..the problem is to get a amp remote wire right.....my stock head unit have the ipod and xm radio....and i bought the add-n-amp kit from some guy called alpman or real name "Greg" for $40 which recommended from some members in here.....all bull ____....when i try to hook up like what he said in his ad pic...total bull____...my main power hardness don't even look like the one he has in his pic..remember..mine is 06 with xm and ipod control also steering control...he is outdated fool...so i have to find my own remote wire for my amp....first i tap into blue positive wire..but seen i turn off my car..my amp still alive...then i tap into orange wire...i turn off my stereo...my amp turn off too...sound good..but hell....here the problem...it's only work for Fm or Am only..if i switch to CD or MP3....my amp won't work...what the hell.....i can't find any better wire to tap no more...anyone got any idea?...by the way i 'd been checking the wires voltage using multimeter....and also i'm not rich enough to change my stock head unit to aftermarket head unit that has similar function like stock unit for having ipod..xm...steering control..mp3...that cost lots of green out of me....so stop suggest changing to aftermarket one...unless u gonna sponsor me....
Old 04-02-2007, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man, just typed a huge response, then hit the wrong reply button.... Anyhow, I was just about to order that LOC from alpman. I don't know if the upgraded stereo differs much from the stock one, but I'm surprised to hear you have a problem. Let me know what happens, becuase I'm in the same spot, but with the stock HU... I spent today and wired absolutely everything but whatever I need to do for the RCA outs and the remote turn on. I heard that for the remote, that it was either the blue wire or the gray wire on the main harness. I'd go for the gray. Good luck with eveything, sorry I can't be of more help. I did take nice pics to make a DIY after this all though!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did make a DIY and posted it here:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...041&highlight=
Old 04-03-2007, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my HU doesn't have blue or gray that as described everywhere around the forum or somewhere esle..how weird is that? so i just ran the wire for my stock factory sub at my trunk...there i used a multimeter to test on the wires...first i tested on blue..it's alive all the time...then the orange...it will turn on when the key or engine is on...yeah..i got it..not like the wires in the main harness at my HU...no single fit....one is alive all the time..one is alive when u turn on to FM or AM or Sat..but not cds...other are junks..finally i got my amp running...but not as good as the aftermarket HD..the bass are not pumping so accurate n smooth..it pick up some other junk signal...i'm running MTX thunder version though....still saving money for poineer d3...i have poineer dvh-p5000mp sitting around...just dun feel like install it now although it's way way better than stock HU..been using it for 2 yrs...but i like the ipod n Sat also the double din stock HU on my dash for now...just feel pain in the ___ with the LOC even paid that money..still need to figure out a remote wire by myself...also there is no instruction came with it state that what the extra wire for and where it gonna tap into....also he is outdated..like my HU doesn't really work,..

Quick Reply: Subwoofer FAQ