Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sunroof makes 2 clicks when trying to open..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sunroof makes 2 clicks when trying to open..

I have an issue with my sunroof.

When press the open button I hear two quick little clicks and thats it. It doesnt move at all. I pulled out the dome light assembly and pressed the button prior to disconnecting it and it certainly sounds like the 2 clicks come directly from the sunroof motor.

I checked fuses, they're good.

The button looks to be making good contact with the little things it presses against when depressing the button - I can clearly see them move up and down when depressing button with the dome consol pulled out.

I did my best to try to clean the tracks for the sunroof - There is somewhat gunk white lithium grease buildup that I am struggling to get all off but even cleaning off most of it did not affect the sunroof.

I sprayed a bit of WD40 on the rails and best I could be without being open the roof I'm not sure how successful that was.

Anyone have any ideas? I have seen other threads where sunroof motors go bad, is there a way to 100% confirm that?

And finally, is there a thread on how to replace sunroof motor if it comes to that? Do I have to remove entire headliner?

Thank You!
Old 04-29-2016, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did the sunroof move at all? How long before it opened last time. It may be stuck to the weatherstripping and the clicks you hear are the motor internal circuit breaker.

Just a thought, but you might try a little pressure in an upward motion at the rear end on the glass as you hit the switch.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jkois
Did the sunroof move at all? How long before it opened last time. It may be stuck to the weatherstripping and the clicks you hear are the motor internal circuit breaker.

Just a thought, but you might try a little pressure in an upward motion at the rear end on the glass as you hit the switch.
Thanks for the reply

It does not move at all. It last opened in the fall and seemed to be "sticking" them even a bit.

I have tried to push it backwards, lift up on the wind deflector as well.

Will I harm anyhting by continuing to press the button (possible to "burn up" the motor, or no if it has an internal breaker?
Old 05-11-2016, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't push too hard. Break it and you're fuched. Maybe try lightly tapping on the motor housing with the plastic end of a screw driver handle while pressing the switch? Sounds like something is hung up and might just need a little encouraging.