Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

THE tC iPod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member

Default tc '06 w/ iPod connector cable - AUX port still active?

Hey everyone,

I'm posting on here for a buddy whose DSL is down; he's picking up a new tC tomorrow and I can't find the answer to my question anywhere I've searched (here, Google, etc).

We want to know if, once the iPod connector is installed along with the new radio, is the AUX port still active? My buddy has an AirWare for XM and ideally we'd like to be able to run the AUX cable into the AirWare by hiding it behind the center console and popping it out where we plan to mount the dock for the AirWare (along with hard-wiring power).

Has anyone tried using the AUX port with the iPod connector in their tC? In an ideal world, the iPod would be plugged in, charging and playing, and with the ability of hitting the "AUX" button the radio would switch to the XM feed. Is anyone else using a similar setup? The $500 for XM isn't feasible as my buddy already has a receiver in the form of the AirWare (plus, the run for the antenna done by the dealers is in a crap location).

Any help out there?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as I'm aware, the AUX port is always active. If anything, you may just have to disconnect the iPod before using it, but even that seems like too much to me.

I don't have an 06 though so I'm not 100% on that.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I just got my tC and I didn't spring for the factory installed iPOD compatible stereo, although I've been using the mini stereo AUX in plug so far.

anybody out there use the Harmon Kardon Drive+Play with their tC stereo? I know it can output to a mini stereo plug, or an RCA jack in your dash, but wonder where the "brain" unit would go. I'm also wary to install something so obviously technical that I can't hide in any way on my tC... don't want to entice anyone to break a window.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/how_it_works.aspx
Old 03-24-2006, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: ipod customer cable

Originally Posted by rinimeatballs
Originally Posted by billc
The cable that connects from the console connector to the iPod is PN. PT546-21061
great ^^ where do i get it?
i just got my tc a month ago or so. they installed the deck the next day, and left the cable in a little bag on my passengers seat.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
As far as I'm aware, the AUX port is always active. If anything, you may just have to disconnect the iPod before using it, but even that seems like too much to me.

correct. my friends and i made a trip to seattle, we had a ipod nano plugged in to listen to music, and an ipod video plugged into the aux port for sound throughout the car, and you just push the aux button and it switches feeds.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

The only iPod that is different is the iPod Shuffle, b/c it doesn't have the dock connector. ALL other iPods are the same. Same cord, same connector. Your dealer is on crack.
Well, that's not totally true. The early iPods only had a FireWire port/cable. The "Dock" port/cable came with the 3rd generation iPod - the one with four buttons over the scroll wheel.
You can only use an early iPod with the AUX jack, and it won't control with the HU/steering wheel like the dock units.

Scott
Old 03-24-2006, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ yes. the first 2 ipod generations had the firewire port. the dock connectors came out with the third gen ipods. so anything from 3rd gen and up, excluding the shuffle, has the dock connector, and in turn, can be used with the 06 ipod stereo, or any other ipod/car system that uses the proprietary dock connector in place of just a stereo miniplug.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^holy crap that is one long sentence
Old 03-24-2006, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Yes, it's kinda stupid, IMHO. They should have made two buttons, one for iPod, and one for AUX.

That was an oversight, but I supposed they figured you'd use an iPod OR something else, not both.
Dumb ASSumption.

Scott
Old 03-24-2006, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by mandangalo
^holy crap that is one long sentence
Tell me...huff huff huff
Old 03-30-2006, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, dumb question. We got the 2006 without the iPod option, yet I still see an aux button and would like to control the iPod through the OEM head unit. Should I follow your instructions for the 2005 OEM head unit?
Old 03-30-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check Option 2 for the 2006 model. All 06s have an AUX port in the arm rest. The iPod option is a separate option all together.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, if I wanted the better signal and to charge it as well i could go with the Sik imp and plug into the armrest but I'd be SOL when it came to controlling the iPod through the head unit right?
Old 03-30-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, the SIK thing would give you charge and a little better signal (not an incredible difference though). As for controlling, ya, I'm just not sure. Some of the options listed for 2005 MIGHT work, but I really don't know for sure.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool, and a sllightly more complicated question:

If I hack off that obnoxious cigarette lighter plug from the SiK imp and instead decide to splice the wire directly into the cigarette lighter power wire will that be the correct voltage, etc. for the iPod? I don't want to fry it.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm really not sure about the voltage. There may be something in the iPod lighter plug that converts some of the voltage/amps/whatever to charge the iPod. I really don't know for sure.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member

Default Question

I recently purchased an OEM iPod ready Pioneer HU (the upgrade you can get for 260) on eBay. If I had the unit installed, is there an iPod port on the arm-rest already, or would I have to get that installed as well? I just want to know if my purchasing the iPod unit without it being installed at the factory is going to lead to a headache, or if I will be able to have it work without too much problem. Sorry for the lengthy post... if there's any more information you need to answer my question, let me know.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't think there is.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's an interesting option for those with just AUX inputs (05 or 06 models).

http://www.tentechnology.com/product...exibledock.php

Looks like a nice dock with a line out and charges the iPod. There are a few of these flexible dock holders out there (mostly with an FM transmitter), but none with such a clean look and decent connection. I might pick up one of these to replace my Belkin Tundok cup holder thing. And the way the tC's lighter socket is, it would be a good place to plug that in and just run a wire right back into the cubby hole and up to the radio.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

In case anyone was wondering. I just got the SiK imp in the mail today and pried apart the cigarette lighter plug to see if there was any kind of electricity stepping down device in there. Sure enough there's a resistor. So, looks like I can't just snip off the plug and splice into the cigarette plug's wiring. The current has to be stepped down first.

Oh well.

Quick Reply: THE tC iPod Thread