Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

tC USB Connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 02:33 AM

Question tC USB Connection

Hey everyone -- I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice about an upgrade I'm doing to my 2008 tC without me having to pull the center console out to find out myself

I was giving a new audio receiver I'm looking to install; one of the big features of the system is a USB cable to go into phones. But 1G tCs don't have a built-in USB port in the car. I do have the iPod connector in the armrest that I no longer have any use for -- once I get in there, is it possible to pop the iPod port out and replace it with a similar USB port? I can't tell if that is one integrated unit or if it's three individual pieces. (I'm attaching a couple pictures of the unit in case it's valuable to anyone)

If I won't be able to do that, does anyone have some advice for me about where else I could mount an iPod connector well?

Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails tC USB Connection-scion-ipod1.jpg   tC USB Connection-scion-ipod2.jpg  
Old 09-10-2015, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what I remember when I replaced my factory radio, you will lose the AUX & iPod connection use in the center console...if you want to make a USB connection from the center console to your new audio receiver, you will have to pull up the cup holder & gearshift trim to expose the cables going into the armrest/center console, run USB & apple iPod cables...or you can just do what I did & drill a hole above the cubby & run my USB & apple plugs through there, no real easy way to do it that I can think of...good luck
Old 09-11-2015, 01:46 PM

You'll lose your AUX and iPod connection if you change your factory stock system. That's why I stick to my factory pioneer but at the same time it doesn't connnect to my iphone giving me a connection error. I tried to post a treat about it but I tried twice and it didn't approved. Do anyone have any idea how to solve my connection error problem with factory radio+iphone 5?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2015, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are some options on for that on your empty switches just do a search on eBay. Also i've seen some option to keep your AUX not the iPod connection as it is dated to the 30 pins.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:28 PM

Airman, so if I try my iPhone 4S with it's 30 pin connector do you think it will work?

I'll try and post the results.

I'm having lots of problems with stock sound system that for a car 'designed for Y generation' it kind of disappointing.