2005-2010 [ANT10]

Advice on 06 tC salvaging

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Angry Advice on 06 tC salvaging

Hey guys. It's been a long time since I've been on SL. My tC became less of a project and more of just a mode of transportation. But it's time to ask for some assistance from the SL community.

I live in Indianapolis, and the vehicle is at a mechanic on the west side.

The vehicle:
2006, BSP, automatic. Somewhere around 82-85k,
The exterior is in good condition. Usual scratches. Scuffed wheels.
Interior is just as good - clean, no smells.
A few dealer mods - leather seats and doors, Pioneer/Bazooka premium sound, TRD exhaust, floor mats,
Other small insignificant mods - shift ****, blue LEDs, etc.

Back story:
Started having overheating issues last summer, had it looked at by my family mechanic and dealer, both said head gasket issue. I didn't have the money to have it repaired. Hoped it would make it a bit longer until I could trade it. It didn't...
Engine died on me while driving (on i94 Express coming out of Chicago). Won't even attempt to turn over now. Had it at 2 shops, first said beyond their abilities but probably $3500+, second guy runs a low cost shop out of his house and quoted $2500ish for labor and a rebuilt engine.

The tC no longer meets my needs, so regardless I'm selling or trading.
Currently, dealers are only offering $400-500, which I understand since they'll just take it to a salvage yard.

Advice time:
What do I do? I've come up with a few options but need to maximize price in shortest time period. There's no reason to trade it as is. $500 doesn't help me in any way, and definitely taking a loss on it.

-I could have it fixed and then sell it private or trade it in, but would having a rebuilt engine affect the value or title of the vehicle?
-Sell it on Craigslist in current condition (it's posted now). For how much?

Any other ideas?

Is it worth parting out the few mods I have before any of this? I'm guessing the exhaust is worth a few bucks if I can get someone to swap.

Thanks in advance for any help, and if you wanna make some type of offer or something, feel free to PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright. Tough spot to be in. I feel for you.

Best, and just about only option, is to rebuild it and either keep it or sell it after it's fixed. It's a $2,500 to-do, but it's something you're going to have to deal with and bite the bullet. I've been in the position before actually. I blew up my turbo FG2. Couldn't sell it as-is, there's no freakin way. So I got it rebuilt bigger and better. Costed me $16,000 instead of your $2,500 but I couldn't be happier, and now the car has value again, opposed to it literally worth nothing after two rods went through the block. Fix it. You need to fix it. That car needs value again. And it will be worth $5,000-$6,000 again.