Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Anyone esle get the Warranty Enhancement Program??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 10:22 PM

Default Anyone esle get the Warranty Enhancement Program??

So I bought my 07 RS edition TC back on june 2013 (87,341 miles). After driving for about a few thousand miles the Oil light came on. I put in oil, it was about 2+ quarts low, I forgot the specific amount but it was almost dry. I changed the oil and filter (always OEM filter) and some semi syn high mileage castrol oil. ever since i bought her, shes's ate about 1 quart every 1300-1800 miles depending on how much hwy vs. street driving I do. Now I got this letter stating "some TC's" have this issue and they are offering to test how much oil I consume with a sealed test. Im curious if anyone has had the test done, what the actually do, and what fix is toyota doing to remedy this issue. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2015, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got the notice as well. My car takes about a quart every 1400 miles. Has since I got it a two years ago (I also have a rs :]). I just make sure to check the oil every two gas fill-ups. That seems to work for me. Although I've found that different brands of oil are consumed differently. I always use full synthetic and have found that castroil burns off the slowest. For the oil consumption test, they will top off your oil, seal the system (to make sure you don't tamper with it), and ask you to come back after 1200 miles. If your car has consumed 1 quart or more in 1200 miles they will warranty it. The fix is a new set of pistons I believe. They changed the design a while back due to this issue back in 09. They are just now admitting it and fixing them unfortunately.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tak16
I just got the notice as well. My car takes about a quart every 1400 miles. Has since I got it a two years ago (I also have a rs :]). I just make sure to check the oil every two gas fill-ups. That seems to work for me. Although I've found that different brands of oil are consumed differently. I always use full synthetic and have found that castroil burns off the slowest. For the oil consumption test, they will top off your oil, seal the system (to make sure you don't tamper with it), and ask you to come back after 1200 miles. If your car has consumed 1 quart or more in 1200 miles they will warranty it. The fix is a new set of pistons I believe. They changed the design a while back due to this issue back in 09. They are just now admitting it and fixing them unfortunately.
Sweet you have my same car lol . I got #1250, whats yours? Yea I figured it was cheap chinese made piston rings that was allowing the oil to burn off too quickly. IIRC, toyota bumped up the HP and tq rating by 1hp&1tq by increasing the compression just slightly for the 07+ motor making it 161bhp. Im curious what they do to the car in order to "seal it?" I've also noticed the consumption is slightly veried depending on what company oil I use. Since the first oil change I did at 87K when I got her was full syth, every change after that has been high mileage semi synt. No reason to waste $$ if I have to keep putting oil in it every 1000-1500 miles. I personally notice i burn more oil quicker if I do heavy stop and go traffic, like that on streets. When I did a long distance drive 750 miles to and from CA to AZ, I didn't burn much oil at all. Glad to see that even after the factory warranty toyota stands behind their product, even if its so many years after they find the problem. Have you had the fix done? are they just rebuilding the bottom end with new parts pretty much?
Old 02-10-2015, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got mine yesterday, I have a 07 too but not a RS. My letter says that the warranty extends to 150k miles or 2016, so if I take it in now and it passes. But i take it in, at the end of the year will they test it again? I do have to add oil to mine, it probably is about 2 quarts between oil changes.

Also my letter said they did not yet have parts available to fix the problem, and said they would let me know when they did.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For everyone that has received a letter, did you all purchase your car new? I bought mine used and I'm the 2nd owner so I'm wondering if I'll ever receive a letter. Could I contact me dealer even though I don't have a letter?

Currently my car doesn't seem to have oil consumption issues, but I just want to have peace of mind having it checked out regardless.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by electrongeek
For everyone that has received a letter, did you all purchase your car new? I bought mine used and I'm the 2nd owner so I'm wondering if I'll ever receive a letter. Could I contact me dealer even though I don't have a letter?

Currently my car doesn't seem to have oil consumption issues, but I just want to have peace of mind having it checked out regardless.
I bought mine used too, it doesn't matter if you are the first owner or not the warranty will still cover the car. You probably won't get a letter unless you have had warranty or work done on the car at a dealership. I had my hatch garnish replaced under warranty, so they had my information.

You can probably just call and see if your car is covered under the extended warranty.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, I'll give them a call then. Hopefully my experience with a stealership won't be a horror story.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by awdmofo
Sweet you have my same car lol . I got #1250, whats yours? Yea I figured it was cheap chinese made piston rings that was allowing the oil to burn off too quickly. IIRC, toyota bumped up the HP and tq rating by 1hp&1tq by increasing the compression just slightly for the 07+ motor making it 161bhp. Im curious what they do to the car in order to "seal it?" I've also noticed the consumption is slightly veried depending on what company oil I use. Since the first oil change I did at 87K when I got her was full syth, every change after that has been high mileage semi synt. No reason to waste $$ if I have to keep putting oil in it every 1000-1500 miles. I personally notice i burn more oil quicker if I do heavy stop and go traffic, like that on streets. When I did a long distance drive 750 miles to and from CA to AZ, I didn't burn much oil at all. Glad to see that even after the factory warranty toyota stands behind their product, even if its so many years after they find the problem. Have you had the fix done? are they just rebuilding the bottom end with new parts pretty much?
I have number 1900. I haven't had any work done yet. They said they won't have parts till sometime in spring. The letter also stated that they will do a free consumption test once. After that, I guess it's up to the dealer. I believe all they do is use zip ties and tape on oil cap, drain plug, etc to make sure you don't tamper with it.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would be worried about what the warranty is after they fix it. Pulling and rebuilding and engine is a large job and i think most toyota techs have problem loosing lug nuts lol.

Assume your car is burning oil but runs perfect besides that. Then Toyota 'fixes' the problem and a few thousand miles later your engine blows up....
Old 02-20-2015, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an 06 tC. I know the enhancement says 07-09 but my car burns 1 quart every 1000 miles. I called scion and they essentially told me to go pound sand.

It's the same 2az-fe motor, and my car, along with many other tc's have this problem. Any advice?
Old 02-20-2015, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TinmanTC
I have an 06 tC. I know the enhancement says 07-09 but my car burns 1 quart every 1000 miles. I called scion and they essentially told me to go pound sand.

It's the same 2az-fe motor, and my car, along with many other tc's have this problem. Any advice?
Keep calling?
Old 02-20-2015, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slowcelica
Keep calling?
Nah I tried.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nah I tried.
Seems like they should cover it if it is the same engine, maybe they switched engines in 2007? I think there is a sticky on here somewhere about the differences in engines between years.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slowcelica
Seems like they should cover it if it is the same engine, maybe they switched engines in 2007? I think there is a sticky on here somewhere about the differences in engines between years.
I really tried to get assistance when I called. They literally said nothing they can do....
Old 03-14-2015, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tak16
I have number 1900. I haven't had any work done yet. They said they won't have parts till sometime in spring. The letter also stated that they will do a free consumption test once. After that, I guess it's up to the dealer. I believe all they do is use zip ties and tape on oil cap, drain plug, etc to make sure you don't tamper with it.
Nice, I've seen a few RS's our year rolling around here in Southern california. One fakey, had the front of an RS but not the rear and no seats or pear white paint job . I've taken mine in so far, the thew a bunch of black goo, looks like heat resistant sealant all over the dip stick and my oil cap, haven't seen what they did to the oil drain plug yet. Doing front brakes this weekend, I'll take pics. The advisor said im not to touch anything unless my oil like comes on, then I can check the system and add oil as needed. I've already put 505 miles on it since about 2.5 weeks ago. I've been basically driving a little harder than normal, but I know i'll fail the test anyway and they'll have to order the parts asap.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by mischman
I would be worried about what the warranty is after they fix it. Pulling and rebuilding and engine is a large job and i think most toyota techs have problem loosing lug nuts lol.

Assume your car is burning oil but runs perfect besides that. Then Toyota 'fixes' the problem and a few thousand miles later your engine blows up....

I think all they need to do is remove the oil pan, pull the crank out with the pistons attached, replace the pistons and rings and shove everything back in. I could be wrong but the tech's get 16.1 hours of labor so could be a 2-3 day job.

If anything ____s up right after i'd take it back and request a rebuilt motor or a new one. I believe dealerships usually have a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty on all their work so Im not worried. Just glad I dont have to waste 3-4 quarts extra every 5000 miles.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:20 AM

I really tried to get assistance when I called. They literally said nothing they can do....
They bumped up the Horse power and torque ratings by 1hp & 1 tq on the 2007+ motor, i read online they increased the compression ratio by 0.1 to 1 more than the previous motors. That could have been the issue thats causing this issue, but if i recall when I was at the dealer they had a list of vehicles that were affected by this issue. Rav4, camary, TC, corolla, maybe about 5-6 in all but I didnt pay attention to the years. I would check with a dealer by going in and talking to a service advisor personally.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*Currently undergoing the Oil consumption test, ill let you guys know what happens!
Old 03-14-2015, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by yupinmytC
*Currently undergoing the Oil consumption test, ill let you guys know what happens!
Hope it fails lol. I know mine is, Just have to put another 600 miles on her.

This is what the goo is they put on my dip stick and oil cap looks like...
same stuff is on my drain plug
Attached Thumbnails Anyone esle get the Warranty Enhancement Program??-imag0243.jpg   Anyone esle get the Warranty Enhancement Program??-imag0244.jpg  
Old 03-24-2015, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just took mine in today, same goo

Quick Reply: Anyone esle get the Warranty Enhancement Program??