Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Anyone esle get the Warranty Enhancement Program??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So how much oil does it have to burn/lose for it to fail the test?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slowcelica
So how much oil does it have to burn/lose for it to fail the test?
According to my dealer. I have between 1100-1300 miles to bring it back. They add 1 QT of oil and idle it for 5 minutes, if the dipstick says full, it passed.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep us updated on what happens with all the tests and possible repairs.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mischman
According to my dealer. I have between 1100-1300 miles to bring it back. They add 1 QT of oil and idle it for 5 minutes, if the dipstick says full, it passed.
Yup. And my car apparently "passed" even though I will still have to add 1 qt every thousand miles, BS.

I have an 06 and after making some calls they had me do the test.

BTW, if anybody does this test, I would ask to be there in person to see the oil put in, and then when they do the test at the end to make sure everything is correct.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tak16
Keep us updated on what happens with all the tests and possible repairs.
Well, I was sure I'd fail, I drove it like i stole it and i usually put about 1 qt in every 1000-1200 miles myself. The Advisor said I was just over half a quart low. I came in with 1206 miles since the start of the test. I was told I can come back anytime to do it again. what i decided next time around is instead of using 5W30 oil like I normally do, Its time I switch to 0w20 or 5w20 like I was using since I bought the car at 87K miles 2 years ago. I currently have 125K, and will change my oil in a few weeks or so when it gets to about time for one. By then, after this second test, the advisor told me if i fail toyota should have been able to round up all the parts needed to do the rebuild.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by awdmofo
Well, I was sure I'd fail, I drove it like i stole it and i usually put about 1 qt in every 1000-1200 miles myself. The Advisor said I was just over half a quart low. I came in with 1206 miles since the start of the test. I was told I can come back anytime to do it again. what i decided next time around is instead of using 5W30 oil like I normally do, Its time I switch to 0w20 or 5w20 like I was using since I bought the car at 87K miles 2 years ago. I currently have 125K, and will change my oil in a few weeks or so when it gets to about time for one. By then, after this second test, the advisor told me if i fail toyota should have been able to round up all the parts needed to do the rebuild.
Why not use Toyotas oil? Grab 4 QTs off ebay.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TinmanTC
Yup. And my car apparently "passed" even though I will still have to add 1 qt every thousand miles, BS.

I have an 06 and after making some calls they had me do the test.

BTW, if anybody does this test, I would ask to be there in person to see the oil put in, and then when they do the test at the end to make sure everything is correct.

I say BS as well. To the rest who do fall under the warranty for 07-09 tc's, if the dealer is just screwing around, get an attorney. They've already admitted there is a KNOWN engine issue and you have to play these games? It's just so they don't have to pay to repair the engine. I've been around the auto industry long enough to know they're just covering their ___. To mess around with the "little guy" which in this case is the dealership, is a waste of time. Time to go higher up. I am not lawsuit happy but watch how fast Toyota fixes your engine when you get legal representation.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
I say BS as well. To the rest who do fall under the warranty for 07-09 tc's, if the dealer is just screwing around, get an attorney. They've already admitted there is a KNOWN engine issue and you have to play these games? It's just so they don't have to pay to repair the engine. I've been around the auto industry long enough to know they're just covering their ___. To mess around with the "little guy" which in this case is the dealership, is a waste of time. Time to go higher up. I am not lawsuit happy but watch how fast Toyota fixes your engine when you get legal representation.

In all seriousness, what if we do lawyer up and walk up to toyota and they agree to fix your engine. How much do you end up paying the lawyer after all said and done? It wouldn't be a free fix then would it?

At the end of the day, most of us just care about money and time out of our pocket.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shadowler
In all seriousness, what if we do lawyer up and walk up to toyota and they agree to fix your engine. How much do you end up paying the lawyer after all said and done? It wouldn't be a free fix then would it?

At the end of the day, most of us just care about money and time out of our pocket.
yeah that's true. but I know when I had lemon law on a car, I ended up paying about $700 for the lawyer's time. To me it was an investment to get rid of a lemon (worth a lot more than $700).. So it's one of those balancing things.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought there was a class action lawsuit going on for this as well? Anyone have information for that?
Old 04-13-2015, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine also burns about a quart every 1000 miles. I received that letter sometime ago, but not gonna do anything about it. Not worth the headache

Fortunately Im in the auto repair field, so if the time comes, I'll just throw in a low mileage engine
Old 04-14-2015, 03:51 AM

So just for everyone's info, I took my scion tc for the consumption test in and it seems that they will do just about anything to avoid it. They refused to lock it down because of a supposed oil leak at the timing chain seal and quoted $1100 to fix it. I am thinking of getting engine steam cleaned and maybe just take it to another scion dealer. 50k miles and there's a leak.
*** steam clean idea didn't work. got it back with stains on the visor too. oh well, ive got a clean engine now.

Last edited by calhiker; 05-08-2015 at 03:21 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-08-2015, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got back from the dealership, apparently those ____ers put the wrong return mileage Sticker on my windshield, so when I brought my car back at the 1300 mile mark from the sticker mileage, it really registered at 1400 miles that I drove.

Unfortunately I have to retake the test. At first they tried to charge me for the extra oil for the top off but after a brief argument they gave me the oil for free because the mistake was on their part.

Anywho I asked the tech how much oil did they have to put in and he responded with 2 quarts.

I burnt 2 quarts of oil in 1400 miles, jesus christ, So im positive the second time i bring it in they'll actually approve me for the Repairs. wish me luck!!!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[TABLE]This is what the goo is they put on my dip stick and oil cap looks like...
same stuff is on my drain plug[/TABLE][/QUOTE][
[

I brought mine in and I was expecting to see a zip tie or something but they put nothing on there that I could see so I called them and said I was concerned about running low on oil and they told me to bring it in and they would check it, I did but after that I just checked it my self because they put no tamper proofing on it. I did fail and am supposed to be getting it fixed (XB)
Old 05-17-2015, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update:

Test#2 - Returning after I've driven 1200 miles; 2010 tC

I brought my car to Toyota in the the San Francisco Geary 5th avenue location. The assistant service manager Eric Fiske told me that I burned .8 of a quart which is still within range of whats 'acceptable' I don't think I burned .8 though as I saw the tech top off the oil through the looking glass and he topped off very little.

Now let's say I burned more than the accepted amount, I still wouldn't qualify because I have no track record of being at a dealership for any type of maintenance. The assistant manager told me that I need to show frequent visits to the dealership to prove that my car was maintained properly. I told him that's bull____ because if I was going to let a dealership overcharge me every time I can do things on my own for less than half the price, I can put a down payment for another car probably..

He shrugged and apologized and said 'Toyota' is more inclined to help if they see that you're not just buying the car but a loyal customer. Long story short, I kept my cool and reluctantly thanked him and went on my way.

I wanted to share my experience with other folks in the bay area who might be thinking of doing the oil test, I hope you have a different experience.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update:

I brought my car to Toyota in the the San Francisco Geary 5th avenue location. The assistant service manager Eric Fiske told me that I burned .8 of a quart which is still within range of whats 'acceptable' I don't think I burned .8 though as I saw the tech top off the oil through the looking glass and he topped off very little.

Now let's say I burned more than the accepted amount, I still wouldn't qualify because I have no track record of being at a dealership for any type of maintenance. The assistant manager told me that I need to show frequent visits to the dealership to prove that my car was maintained properly. I told him that's bull____ because if I was going to let a dealership overcharge me every time I can do things on my own for less than half the price, I can put a down payment for another car probably..

He shrugged and apologized and said 'Toyota' is more inclined to help if they see that you're not just buying the car but a loyal customer. Long story short, I kept my cool and reluctantly thanked him and went on my way.

I wanted to share my experience with other folks in the bay area who might be thinking of doing the oil test, I hope you have a different experience.
I was worried that since I had no record of oil changes since I have done them myself since my 3 initial free ones at toyota, that they would say that I needed to have records of my regular maintainence. I was told after my oil consumption test that I passed and it didn't qualify for the repair and then the guy said wait, the tech marked this wrong, you did fail which means that you will be getting the repair done. As I stated in a previous reply, they didn't even put any tamper proofing on my vehicle during the oil consumption test. ( In Atlanta Georgia )
Old 05-27-2015, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by mischman
Why not use Toyotas oil? Grab 4 QTs off ebay.
because its prob twice as expensive, plus it doesn't matter what oil is used.

Last edited by awdmofo; 05-27-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:56 PM

Update:

proof of mantaince at a dealership is not part of this TSB, also its a class action lawsuit i would remind any service advisor or manager that toyota would look down on them for denying anything related to lawsuits. Shame on that looser of a manager, makes me sick that I use to work at toyota and someone would be that stupid. Dont the dealers know this is like a 20 hour job under warrant for their techs, that means $$ into the service department. morons!
Old 05-27-2015, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by yupinmytC
Just got back from the dealership, apparently those ____ers put the wrong return mileage Sticker on my windshield, so when I brought my car back at the 1300 mile mark from the sticker mileage, it really registered at 1400 miles that I drove.

Unfortunately I have to retake the test. At first they tried to charge me for the extra oil for the top off but after a brief argument they gave me the oil for free because the mistake was on their part.

Anywho I asked the tech how much oil did they have to put in and he responded with 2 quarts.

I burnt 2 quarts of oil in 1400 miles, jesus christ, So im positive the second time i bring it in they'll actually approve me for the Repairs. wish me luck!!!
Sounds like my 01 mr2 spyder, that burned like a quart every 500 miles i think. sold it quick because i wasn't about to rebuild the motor.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by yupinmytC

Im ready to do my second test, got regular 5W20 oil in there, and going to change my spark plugs that are nasty from burning soo much oil, and see if I fail finally. Let us know how you second run goes.

Quick Reply: Anyone esle get the Warranty Enhancement Program??