Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Anyone esle get the Warranty Enhancement Program??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 02:20 PM

Default Oil Consumption Test - suspecting overfilling

I recently received the oil consumption test notification. Prior to taking the Scion to the dealer, I did the test myself. Topped off the oil, ran it 1300 miles - it was a quart low. I took it to the dealer to start the first test ran it 1300 miles and it was only 1/2 quart low. I believe they purposely overfilled it .

Anyone else have a similar result ? I know the car is burning oil (I change the oil myself and it has been previously down 2 quarts) and this is is not a fair test - Since I can't witness them topping it off for the test they can easily overfill it. Easily rigged in their favor.

Does anyone know if there is an actual lawsuit in progress to address this and how to partake in it ?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2015, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member

Sharing me experience thus far..

Bought my 09 new in 09, currently at 113k with no issues until last week when I changed my oil and only drained 1.5 quarts. I went in for test and they advised my I had to buy an oil change to start the test. I very politely told the service manager the oil in there was only 35 miles old so if I "had" to buy a change I'd come back in a few thousand miles so I didn't waste $40. He went ahead and comped my oil change and started me on the test. I am to return in 1100-1300 miles for them to check it.

In not so many words the service manger indicated (no paper or expressed warranty) that any burn off in 1000 miles on an 09 Toyota engine is a problem and it would be taken seriously. Hopefully that means the dealers have realized they have nothing to lose by being helpful. It's not like it costs them personally.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member

A Toyota dealer is not allowed to charge you for the oil consumption test if your vehicle is covered by the campaign. You are not required to buy an oil change.

There is no reason for a dealership to cheat you on your consumption test. They collect 0 hours of time to complete the test. They collect 14-17 hours to rebuild an engine.

Source: I am a Lexus technician with access to TIS, formerly employed at Toyota.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by calhiker
So just for everyone's info, I took my scion tc for the consumption test in and it seems that they will do just about anything to avoid it. They refused to lock it down because of a supposed oil leak at the timing chain seal and quoted $1100 to fix it. I am thinking of getting engine steam cleaned and maybe just take it to another scion dealer. 50k miles and there's a leak.
*** steam clean idea didn't work. got it back with stains on the visor too. oh well, ive got a clean engine now.
just an update, I tried the steam clean idea and took it to another dealer, they locked it down but also pulled up the records from taking it to the other dealer and refused to start the test.

although i have never seen oil on the floor, in changing the serpentine belt i did see some splashed around.

I called toyota corporate, went nowhere. Pretty much told to pound sand. I had the seal fixed brought the car in and locked the system down. I drove it hard, my wife babied it as usual, ran the engine idling in the driveway for like a total of 20 hours, took it in at 1120 miles and to my surprise failed the test. I am getting a complete engine rebuild. FYI the car literally has 55.000 miles on it. I hate this car but at least we get a new engine.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by calhiker
just an update, I tried the steam clean idea and took it to another dealer, they locked it down but also pulled up the records from taking it to the other dealer and refused to start the test.

although i have never seen oil on the floor, in changing the serpentine belt i did see some splashed around.

I called toyota corporate, went nowhere. Pretty much told to pound sand. I had the seal fixed brought the car in and locked the system down. I drove it hard, my wife babied it as usual, ran the engine idling in the driveway for like a total of 20 hours, took it in at 1120 miles and to my surprise failed the test. I am getting a complete engine rebuild. FYI the car literally has 55.000 miles on it. I hate this car but at least we get a new engine.
so then Toyota IS paying for a new engine? Otherwise I was going to say get an attorney to "help it along". Amazing how a call by an attorney can do that. lol