Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Anyone with problems with Ignition/Key stuck???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Anyone with problems with Ignition/Key stuck???

I purchased a tC 07 in December 06 and having some issues with the key. When I insert my key in the car for ignition, it gets stuck and does not move at all. This has happened three
times so far and is kinda weird. I then remove my key, turn it around and tried, but it doesn't help. Even I got out of my car locked it and unlocked it and tried ignition, but its still stuck.

All the three times it has happened, the only way around was to keep trying for a few minutes and then suddenly key will move on applying lots of pressure.

Anyone having similar issues or someone with suggestions???

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-15-2021 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 02-25-2007, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Do you try wiggling the steering wheel? If the wheels arent perfectly straight and there is some tension on the locking mechanism, it will make it impossible to turn. Next time try slightly moving the steering wheel back and forth.

If that is not the issue, then make sure to take it in for warranty service. There have been cars with similar issues in the past (ford had a lot of this it seems). They will eventually get to where you cannot turn the key at all if it is an issue with the mechanism.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

you beat me to it Dave =)
Old 02-25-2007, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Do you try wiggling the steering wheel? If the wheels arent perfectly straight and there is some tension on the locking mechanism, it will make it impossible to turn. Next time try slightly moving the steering wheel back and forth.
This is usually the issue. Turn the locked wheel a little left, if that doesn't work, turn it a little right. One of those directions should completely "unlock" the ignition and you should be ok, assuming you don't have an actual defect/problem.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've also noticed that you need to actually wiggle the key, turning it back and forth slightly sometimes.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Last year when I started driving this freaked me out. I thought I was stranded because my key wouldn't move.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Zeb,

That sounds exactly like a faulty ignition switch. The Fords would do the same thing, until one day you were stuck somewhere cause the ignition would not turn. They had a recall for it.

If yours needs to be wiggled around to turn, you may want to have it checked out and noted while still under warranty, so if it does crap out on you later you have your butt covered
Old 03-11-2007, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks all for the replies.

I remember wiggling the steering wheel to move the key for ignition. I will make sure to report it during the warranty period and get it checked.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Zeb,

That sounds exactly like a faulty ignition switch. The Fords would do the same thing, until one day you were stuck somewhere cause the ignition would not turn. They had a recall for it.

If yours needs to be wiggled around to turn, you may want to have it checked out and noted while still under warranty, so if it does crap out on you later you have your butt covered
Gah. I hate the dealer. I'm sure my stereo caused it. Oh well, i'll pick up a cabin filter and some more of those white clips at the same time.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:07 AM

Default This is the answer...worked for me...

If that is not the issue, then make sure to take it in for warranty service. There have been cars with similar issues in the past (ford had a lot of this it seems). They will eventually get to where you cannot turn the key at all if it is an issue with the mechanism.
Thank You! This trick worked for me! I'm almost stucked @ the parking lot and don't have any idea what to do.. Good thing I saw this answer... You saved me.. Thanks again!