Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

auxiliary button doesnt work on dash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:29 PM

Default auxiliary button doesnt work on dash?

Hello everyone I'm new to the forums.

I just recently bought a 08 TC about two weeks ago and i noticed the button on my stock stereo for the aux doesnt work if you press it. If nothing is connected, it should still light up aux on the LCD screen correct?

But yeah, i've tried an Ipod, 2 mp3's, 4 diff brands of aux standard 3.5mm cables and they dont seem to work.

I took my car to the Scion dealer yesterday and they said it's the problem with the stereo ,so they replaced it with a brand new one but it still does not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the prob could be?

Also i noticed the stereo i have is diff from the ones at a diff dealer even though they are both stock. If you need picture of the one i have letme know

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-10-2007, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It doesnt do anything unless there is signal coming into it. At least not on mine or the other tC's I have played with. They have also changed the stereo a few times over the last few years, and some models have optional stereos in them. So yours will look different than some.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if no aux player (ipod, mp3) is connected, then nothing will happen when you press the aux button
Old 08-10-2007, 09:45 PM

well when i do insert my source from my player with the cable(i've tried about 5 different cables), the aux button still does not work, would this be due to another faulty stereo or could it be something else like the port itself?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive heard of people having trouble with the port in the armrest before so that is a possibility
Old 08-10-2007, 10:26 PM

my 07 will display AUX only if the cable is plugged in. no signal required.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:06 AM

try having something playing then push the aux button.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the aux port in my console and the 12v port had no wires running to it straight off the lot... didnt find that out till recently..the wire loom was there...but no wire in it...
Old 08-11-2007, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by lbjshaq2345
the aux port in my console and the 12v port had no wires running to it straight off the lot... didnt find that out till recently..the wire loom was there...but no wire in it...
that could quite possibly be the case since they install the radio at the dealership at most occasions. prolly forgot, rushing or didnt bother to hook up the cables.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep...gotta get that fixed when i go to get my seat replaced cuz i don't feel like doin myself now that school's started back.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

What does the radio they replaced it look like? I hope they didnt put an 07 radio in because those are ugly compared to the 08's.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i think it has to have signal going to it. what i mean by that is say you have an mp3 player connected through the AUX, it has to be playing a song in order for it to recognize, you cant simply just connect it.

try this, start a song on your MP3 player before you connect the cable, then connect, and press aux, see if that works...
Old 08-11-2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by bronxblaza117
i think it has to have signal going to it. what i mean by that is say you have an mp3 player connected through the AUX, it has to be playing a song in order for it to recognize, you cant simply just connect it.

try this, start a song on your MP3 player before you connect the cable, then connect, and press aux, see if that works...
thanks for the advice guys, i have tried this as well, run the mp3 then insert aux cable and hit aux, nothing lights up on the stereo, no aux or anything.

i had the guy check out the wiring and he said everything was connected it's just a matter of it working so i dunno, he's calling corp or something right now because the people there are clueless.

Any additional advice/help is much appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ that is a possibility mines kinda tricky I havent tried an ipod yet since I am lame and don't have one, maybe i should try my friends player but yeah . I have an mp3 thru the AUX port. it wont play until you reset your player or something. I'm thinking there is a deley in the signal maybe? It plays only if you turn the player off and put it back on. If like lets say you had it playing personally and just plugged it right away to the jack going to the sterio it wont do it you have to reset the mp3. So if there is like a delay in the signal maybe your problem has something to do with the connection from the ports to the sterio. If you said that they changed your radio already. Mines an 08 as well
Old 08-11-2007, 05:54 PM

yeah that could be a possibly, i'll ask when i speak with the service rep.
And by searching around at the stock pictures, it looks like they put in an 07 radio(it came with this as well) and not an 08, i'm assumin the features are the same, but it just looks different. The 08's look way better so i'm wondering would it be possible to replace it with an 08 one under warranty because shouldn't it have come with an 08 one?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dunno if the radio's are swappable from 07's to 08's. Have them put back an original 08 oem sterio. I have a strong feeling it has something to do with the connection from the ports to the sterio. It's either the plugs at the back are not touching or the plugs to that center console is not touching.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And from my understanding the 08's have the actual i-pod plug which means if you connect the i-pod to the sterio. It should be able to charge the i-pod's battery and also be able to display the song title and artist to the oem pioneer lcd screen. I dont know if this is the same with the 07 sterio's
Old 08-11-2007, 06:37 PM

i just called the service rep up and he stated that he can only order the same type of radio to be sent in, unless the type of radio is to be the problem on why it's not working. What i'm thinkin now that as you stated dencio83, the 08 does come standard with the ipod charging/playing capablility, would that feature even work with the old radio?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(1) The way the jacks are set up, the "AUX" just requires something plugged in and the "iPod" requires an iPod at the end of the cable.

(2) The AUX and iPod wiring harnesses on the '07 head unit went to two DIFFERENT connectors on the back of the head unit - there should be four multi-pin connectors plus the antenna plugged into the back.

(3) I haven't seen the schematic for the '08 units yet, so they MAY have different pin-outs.

(4) if you have an '08 vehicle it should come with the '08 head unit ONLY, not the '07...

Here's the connection schematic for the '06-'07 unit...

Tom
Old 08-11-2007, 07:39 PM

this is the head unit i have which i believe is an 07 version from looking at pictures

if it is indeed the 07 model, does anyone know if this would affect the ipod/aux player
AND

i'm wondering if someone would know a policy or something that would enable me to have the dealership swap it out w/ the 08 version without me having to buy it and have it replaced under warranty cuz i was told this could only happen if it is the reason why the aux is not working. I like the looks of the 08 head unit a lot better

Thanks.

-Danny

Quick Reply: auxiliary button doesnt work on dash?