2005-2010 [ANT10]

Blown motor, denied of Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by viper2788
thanks man, i may personally contact you indeed. well heres the deal for now.

so officially ive been declined from the dealerhip(355 toyota, rockville, MD) my car was purchased at, AND from corp toyota in Cali... and as for now we're writing letters to the better business bureau and a few local places as means of last hope.

basically, on top of the oil change issue, they also stated that my car was partially disassembled when it arrived to the dealership. upon break down, i initially took it to my local repair shop to diagnose the issue. there, my mechanic took apart the air filter and the starter from the motor, and was able to figure out my engine was totaled. however, he DID NOT take the engine apart and at this point we figured we'd take it to our toyota dealership since warranty was still good, or so we thought. the air intake and starter was removed and was sitting in my trunk when i got my car back from the local repair shop. according to the mechanic, this "partial disassembly" would be no problem as they are external engine components, and the air intake was just fine, no leaks or anything. so i had it towed to my dealership in that condition. it has however become quite an issue... doesnt necessarily make sense, but according to toyota it just is. to me its just another excuse that they would exploit in order to deny their responsibility.

now, my question is that would it be alright if i took it to another Toyota dealership? i mean dont they have case numbers and records that they all share together? i want to make sure i can get a fresh new start at a different dealership before i get it towed there. im afraid they would just look it up on the computers and find out ive already been declined at another dealship for reason x. but if that wouldnt be an issue, i could take it back to my local mechanic and have him put the parts right back in where they belong.

it is indeed ridiculous i may have to go through all this, but im willing to do anything to get my car fixed, for free lol.
okay if you're serious, then i'm being sincere and completely serious when I say that you need to get yourself an attorney who is well-versed in contract law which pertains to warranties. most attorneys will (the good ones at least) listen to your case for free and be honest with what their past track record has been with cases like this.

Toyota will continue to push you aside and deny you until you show them you mean business. Watch how fast you get this solved and fixed when your attorney contacts their legal dept. file a lawsuit and they'll perk right up. Ever notice how many they settled with after the prius acceleration issue? They have enough bad press, i doubt they want some more hitting the public record in courts.

so that's what i'd do, stop dealing with people whose job it is just to tell you to go away.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sciontc_mich speaks the truth. Getting an attorney will definitely turn your situation around.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
okay if you're serious, then i'm being sincere and completely serious when I say that you need to get yourself an attorney who is well-versed in contract law which pertains to warranties. most attorneys will (the good ones at least) listen to your case for free and be honest with what their past track record has been with cases like this.

Toyota will continue to push you aside and deny you until you show them you mean business. Watch how fast you get this solved and fixed when your attorney contacts their legal dept. file a lawsuit and they'll perk right up. Ever notice how many they settled with after the prius acceleration issue? They have enough bad press, i doubt they want some more hitting the public record in courts.

so that's what i'd do, stop dealing with people whose job it is just to tell you to go away.
Agree 100%
Old 11-22-2010, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

My cousin vinny is a lawyer! LOL
Old 11-22-2010, 06:24 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by viper2788
now, my question is that would it be alright if i took it to another Toyota dealership? i mean dont they have case numbers and records that they all share together? i want to make sure i can get a fresh new start at a different dealership before i get it towed there. im afraid they would just look it up on the computers and find out ive already been declined at another dealship for reason x. but if that wouldnt be an issue, i could take it back to my local mechanic and have him put the parts right back in where they belong.

it is indeed ridiculous i may have to go through all this, but im willing to do anything to get my car fixed, for free lol.
if it already went up to corporate, then the other dealerships will be able to see that you were denied of warranty.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Except in the prius issue... they have gone through over 4000 of the "affected" vehicles and so far no one can find anything (other than double stacked floor mats in a bunch of them) wrong with the throttle or brake systems in any of them.. .payouts dont always (or even regularly) point to guilt... McD's paid that dumb woman with the coffee just to stop the media blitz ;) There was a very, very small handful most likely that truly had an issue with brakes/throttle and the rest were a-holes blaming their driving on Toyota or trying to jump on the litigation bandwagon.

Hard to say what you should do in this case besides talking to an attorney. You need to let them review the whole warranty and all applicable laws regarding it (like the Magnuson case) to determine what to do next.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

tell them you're not an idiot and test the oil and call a company rep asap and get a contact number for them.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
My cousin vinny is a lawyer! LOL
Old 10-27-2016, 02:51 PM

I have an 07 tc that my daughter gave me. I helped her buy it in Feb 09. She gave me this car in Oct 2014 when she bought a new one. I couldn't really drive it the clutch was bad (she had just replaced less than a yr before) and needed new tires. I got the things done and shortly after it threw a rod. The company that installed the clutch also had the oil changed while they had it. I have my receipt with the milage. Less than 148k. I doubt I had 1000 miles on all this. Maybe 500. This was done July 3rd of 2015. I wasn't aware of any warranty enhancement program until I had the block being redone. I had the r&r done by a mechanic friend. The block was done by a reputable shop. My daughter never registered it with Scion or Toyota. I did when I found out about this. however but not gotten the warranty enhancement letter. I did get the hatch lever replacement letter which is a recall.
I now have over 4k in this motor counting labor and parts which is less than what I heard if The dealer replaced it. The varable timing seloniod also had to be replaced. I believe it was also defective. I was driving it and sounded like it was low on oil. I checked it. The dip stick showed it was a 1qt low so I added a qt. That's when it threw the rod. Thinking back it shouldn't have needed more oil. Can anyone tell me where to send my receipts and how to word my letter for reimbursement? The car does have a rebuilt salvage title but that just means here in TX that it could have been a stolen recovery as all those go thru the state as salvage titles if insurance was paid out. Im even having issues getting my ins company to add comp and collision due to the title but i know how to fight with them.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:29 PM

I haven't filed my claim for reimbursement yet. I was just wondering where to file? I don't have the car running good enough to drive it. Funny how you take apart and have to replace things that weren't a problem before. I have pretty much made up my mind to just file suit in smalls claims court and avoid the nightmare of being denied every time or hearing excuses. Obviously there were enough vehicles to extend this warranty so why wouldn't mine or anyone else's have this problem. Right now I just want it driveable but fixed,not just thrown together. In now on my 45th mechanic. The 3rd made things much worse. I have already pd $253 for parts he broke due to carelessness.

Can someone tell me where to look for a fuel issues the car starts dies and missfires. I will replace fuel pump if necessary but something tells me that isn't it. Its somewhere else. I had to replace several sensors. The mechanic hasn't worked on this motor before but won't let anyone else work on it but him when I'm done. I have more in this car than its worth but I figure it will be like a new car and no payments.