Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Check Engine EVAP + Gas Gas Gauge off = wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 AM

Default Check Engine EVAP + Gas Gas Gauge off = wtf?

My 06 tC check engine light came on a few days ago, and I noticed my car seemed to be burning fuel damn fast, so I ran over to autozone to get the ecm code. Turns out it was an Evap code (op456), which reaffirmed my suspicion that something was wrong with my fuel consumption.

Here's where things get weird. My gas gauge was saying I was practically out of fuel (like I said, it was burning fuel seemingly way too fast). So I ran to the gas station, and threw the cashier $40. It usually takes around $45 to fill my tank up from practically empty to fuel. The pump stopped me at $35, which seemed extremely odd. I figured it must be a faulty pump so I pulled the lever again and sure enough, I saw fuel bubbling out of the tank, so it was definitely full. When I turned my car on, the fuel gauge went up to just over 3/4 tank.

Now I'm confused. Never have I ever heard of a fuel pressure problem causing the gas level sensor to read funky.

Is the problem with the fuel gauge in any way related to the Evap code I got??

Also, should I just disregard my fuel gauge being off? Like if I drive 100 miles and the fuel gauge says I'm at 0, should I ignore it and drive another 100-200 miles before filling? Or would that be ignorant of me lmfao.

So far all I've done to rectify the problem is screw around with the gas cap, but I haven't reset the ECM to see if it worked. Autozone was closed by the time I was done. I half considered disconnecting the battery and taking her for a 100mi spin for a quick result, but then I remembered I had about 16 finely tuned aftermarket radio presets that took me a half a year to get just so, so I said screw losing all those presets and didn't. I'll get it read again tomorrow and see if the gas cap gasket was just off, and post an update.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Spanky37
My 06 tC check engine light came on a few days ago, and I noticed my car seemed to be burning fuel damn fast, so I ran over to autozone to get the ecm code. Turns out it was an Evap code (op456), which reaffirmed my suspicion that something was wrong with my fuel consumption.

Here's where things get weird. My gas gauge was saying I was practically out of fuel (like I said, it was burning fuel seemingly way too fast). So I ran to the gas station, and threw the cashier $40. It usually takes around $45 to fill my tank up from practically empty to fuel. The pump stopped me at $35, which seemed extremely odd. I figured it must be a faulty pump so I pulled the lever again and sure enough, I saw fuel bubbling out of the tank, so it was definitely full. When I turned my car on, the fuel gauge went up to just over 3/4 tank.

Now I'm confused. Never have I ever heard of a fuel pressure problem causing the gas level sensor to read funky.

Is the problem with the fuel gauge in any way related to the Evap code I got??

Also, should I just disregard my fuel gauge being off? Like if I drive 100 miles and the fuel gauge says I'm at 0, should I ignore it and drive another 100-200 miles before filling? Or would that be ignorant of me lmfao.

So far all I've done to rectify the problem is screw around with the gas cap, but I haven't reset the ECM to see if it worked. Autozone was closed by the time I was done. I half considered disconnecting the battery and taking her for a 100mi spin for a quick result, but then I remembered I had about 16 finely tuned aftermarket radio presets that took me a half a year to get just so, so I said screw losing all those presets and didn't. I'll get it read again tomorrow and see if the gas cap gasket was just off, and post an update.
Did you end up fixing this ? Was it your fuel level sensor
Old 06-28-2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by flyerfan2820
Did you end up fixing this ? Was it your fuel level sensor
Sorry for the delayed response, the fuel gauge problem corrected itself. I actually think it was a pump malfunction because the next time I visited the same pump, the pressure sensor in the pump never triggered and I ended up spill gasoline.. Since then I haven't used that pump and everything's been fine. As for the CEL, it was just the gas cap.