Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Does this look repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Correct. It's the value of the car. That's it. It's usually around the price that a dealership would sell it for. Whether it's totalled, dented, has mods, whatever, it's all worth the same thing. It's the value of the car in regular working condition.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by omrskr
I'm not ready to finance a car for a zillion years thats why I bought the scion in the first place and i bought it for dirt cheap.

roughly, how much do you think it'll cost to replace the damaged parts only? my biggest concern is the electrical wiring and the roof + interior.
With money being tight you bought a "dirty cheap" car but then put 3K into it?
Old 10-20-2014, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by omrskr
what happened is i was home watching the sunday game, police knocks on my door telling me my car was involved in a fire accident, the officer reported that my neighbor left a lit cigarette in her car. her car is toast and unfortunately it got my right side and interior.

I'd really hate to let this car go but im bound to whatever the settlement will be, I would consider paying out of pocket on top of what they give me to get it fixed, I hope this doesnt affect the title in any way.

If its gonna cost me a fortune I might just find another, but with 6k in total there is no way i'd be able to find a scion close to my cars previous condition.
Wait, her car burnt up and damaged hers and your going through your insurance? Why? Seems to me that she is liable, and you should be going through her insurance.

What you should be doing is coming up with proof of what fair market value is for the car, that is what the insurance company is supposed to give you. About 5 years ago someone hit my wife head on and his insurance company tried to give me $1600 for her car. The estimate to get it fixed was $3k on a 96 Volvo, well my dad had a car lot so he called around to other dealerships in the city to see what it was selling for, around $4k. After about 2 months of going back and forth they cut me a check for $3k and I kept the car with a clean title. Got some parts from the junkyard and fixed the car for around $1000 and used the rest to pay off what was owed on it.

Basically the insurance is going to cheap out on you if you let them. But get you facts and find out what market value is for the car.

Also your aftermarket parts won't add any value for the car. If they total the car put the old parts back on and keep your aftermarket stuff.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why are you all saying it can't be insured if it has a totaled title? It still can be insured just not easily or cheap. But yeah. With that kind of damage and floor being flooded with can get into the wiring and create even more issues even if you did repair the car it would be a burnt plastic smelly nightmare. Sorry to hear about the car though and if try to get her insurance to pay for it since it was all because of her mistake and car.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zerosky
Why are you all saying it can't be insured if it has a totaled title? It still can be insured just not easily or cheap. But yeah. With that kind of damage and floor being flooded with can get into the wiring and create even more issues even if you did repair the car it would be a burnt plastic smelly nightmare. Sorry to hear about the car though and if try to get her insurance to pay for it since it was all because of her mistake and car.
It's not insured it's a big hassle to get a salvaged title car passed to be able to even get it registered and legal to drive. Plus once has a salvaged title, it's pretty much worthless, if they total it work out a deal where they give you the $$ amount of what you want, and keep the car and part it out.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know the difficulties of getting it to be legal again. Just saying that it's a little misinformed to say it can't be insured.
But I agree on just taking what you can for it
Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know the difficulties of getting it to be legal again. Just saying that it's a little misinformed to say it can't be insured.
But I agree on just taking what you can for it
Well I wouldn't just take what you can get for it, I would do some research and see what they fair market value is for it, and be patient and get that value for it. I'd also be using her insurance not his.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree on both points on using her insurance and make sure you can get what the fair market value is. I just meant it as compared to trying to repair it and all
Old 10-23-2014, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree on both points on using her insurance and make sure you can get what the fair market value is. I just meant it as compared to trying to repair it and all
Yea for sure. If it was just structural, you could probably get it repaired but with wiring and all that junk, that's a pretty big hassle.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PM me. My car was "totalled" by insurance company. I got 6500. Was a 2005 with 113k on it heavily modified. The parts help me get more money actually if not it would be 5900.

Long story short w the right connections and parts at the right prices anything is possible.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya. I would be singing the blues too. But at least you had insurance, and it sound like she is liable. But .... that car is definitely totaled. Just make your peace with it. Fire, and water, the wiring alone and installation would be more than kbb value.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 PM

If it is sitting at your house I suggest you find stock parts ASAP and sell the aftermarket parts before they call it totaled and take it.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
And when are we going to get to spot in the thread where you tell us what happened?
LOL, i was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My man you need 1-800-Lawyers. After the insurance settlement, if you feel you have more money invested, anguish, job time loss, etc only a civil lawsuit will address that.