Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Engine Management

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 08:27 AM

Question Engine Management

Some help.

I have a 2007 tC with a few mods, NA just looking for a few more horses and had some fun doing the mods I did. I'll list them. BC 272/272 cams, Weapon R intake and header, CEL, S-pipe, cat delete, Borla catback, Stock ECU mod (6650 redline), titanium valve springs and retainers, polished head, balanced crank, upgraded mains and journals, TRD CAI and AEM FIC.

Anyway am looking to get an EMS that will allow me to advance the tune and timing, but want to keep my A/C, pw and locks etc. working. Can I get the AEM EMS 4 and piggyback it with the factory ecu or are there other options out there? Also if I want to get a larger throttle body any suggestions?
Old 06-27-2016, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what kind of power are you putting down? Close to 190?
Are you doing the tuning yourself? If not, talk to a tuner who specializes in using the AEM EMS. I'm sure they could answer all those questions regarding the peripheral components.
Also something to consider, would be a tune from Orange Virus Tuning. They have completed the initial development phase and have already sent out the first round or re-flashed ECU's to customers. They have successfully been able to decode/read and write/remap all the fuel and timing tables. OVT will also be doing more development phases for NA and forced induction tuning. You should get in touch with them to find out more. Plus they will have remote tuning available. Where you would data log send them the files and they would send you a tune via email.

Regarding a throttle body, why not go with the tried and true RX8 TB swap? it's relatively inexpensive and almost a direct fit.

Have you had any problem with your Weapon R intake manifold and the position of the TB in relation to the TRD CAI OEM position? I heard this was a common issue. Did you modify it to fit?

Good luck man.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:06 AM

Default Engine Management

Last dyno was around 174hp/170tq. Found out afterward though that the exhaust valves were out of timing and I had a sticking VVTI cam. Recently fixed/replaced those and was going to throw it back up on the dyno, but considering doing something that'll allow me to advance the timing to eek a little more out of it. I must say the 3rd gear pull to 6700rpm is quite nice even without the re-tune.

No issues with the Weapon R intake install vs. TRD CAI, did put n a catch can to keep it clean though. Went in without too much hassle. I'd heard of the RX8 TB swap. Any year?

Do you have a URL for their site or contact info for OVT? Thinking of giving them a shot before I go buy the EMS-4. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.ovtuned.com/
Old 07-04-2016, 03:59 PM

I just purchased the EMS-4. Fast Scions had a Boomslang harness for the EMS-4 that allows me do just what I needed to, piggyback the factory ecu to keep the AC, tach etc. working. Ordered the RX-8 TB and will update dyno numbers after I get it all installed

Last edited by zando63; 07-07-2016 at 04:59 AM. Reason: addition
Old 07-14-2016, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zando63
I just purchased the EMS-4. Fast Scions had a Boomslang harness for the EMS-4 that allows me do just what I needed to, piggyback the factory ecu to keep the AC, tach etc. working. Ordered the RX-8 TB and will update dyno numbers after I get it all installed

Cool. I am interested to see what kind of jam you make!