Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Feeling Jealous? UPDATED WITH PICS may be 56K unfriendly

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Feeling Jealous? UPDATED WITH PICS may be 56K unfriendly

Finally got tired of searching for the right incandescent headlight, so I ordered a polarion 5000K HID conversion HID RULES ALL!. Will post pics as soon as the kit shows up this week, should be bloody brilliant : P. HID IS HERE LOOKY LOOKY, I will post a pic of the beam pattern asap, it is just like the stock beam, except much brighter, no glare issues, oncoming traffic didnt flash once.
STOCK

ONE HID, guess which side

ALL HID

The lights are exactly the same color as Lexus HID, the kit is the 5000K kit from polarionlighting.com
Old 04-25-2005, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you putting them in projectors? Or just throwing all of the light all over the place in stock housings?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member

Scion Noics
SL Member

Let us know where you are so you don't blind us all...
Old 04-25-2005, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Are you putting them in projectors? Or just throwing all of the light all over the place in stock housings?
Just changing the bulbs wont be called as installing HIDs I guess!
True HIDs have to change the housing too, right?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would I put it in a projector and lose light output, thats retarded, the nice thing about polarion kits is that the arc in the bulb is at the correct focus point of the reflective housing, so it will reflect in the same way as a stock bulb, just three times brighter. Also if I do have a large problem with glaring others, I am going to just aim the headlights down a little ways to compensate. Nice thing about being a mechanic is that you know how to do all this ____.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I think they're still HID lights... but the housings aren't really made for them. I'm by far NOT a HID expert, but that much intensity is just going to be scattered by the stock housing.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay people, apparently some of you need educating on HID, HID does not require a projector; all a projector is just a different means of utilizing an HID bulb. True HID consists of a xenon bulb that uses and arc through the gas instead of fillament, next it is connected to a ballast (think of it as a power transformer) which manages the arc, thats why when you turn on an HID system it changes color for the first couple seconds, the ballast is warming up to drive the bulb at the proper levels. HID bulbs even though brighter than an incandescent bulb use only 35 watts, also they run much cooler. When an HID bulb is put in a stock incandescent bulb housing the scattering effect mentioned will only happen if the arc from the bulb is not at the focus of the parabolic dish. Projectors let out less light because the surface area is much smaller, more reflective area means more light, keep that in mind
Old 04-25-2005, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I just want to see pics.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you apparently are the one that need educating on HID. if a projector gives out less light than a reflector, why do you suppose all the luxury cars are equipped with projectors and cars like mercedes, acura and lexus are dropping their reflector HID for projectors.

you seem to have your mind set pretty far into the wrong facts. correcting you will just lead to heated arguments and probably result in name-calling like previous threads. i'm pretty sure nobody is jealous of a cheaply made korean kit, with inferior bulbs.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I hate to perpetually stir this debate but from a physics standpoint, Matt is correct on all points though I think he is incorrect on his reasoning on one of them. The reflector for an HID can work if the source point is at the correct location. Most HID lamps have the arc farther out than a halogen so the reflected light pattern covers a larger area. A projector does loose some light because the light has to pass through an imperfect piece of glass or crystal. Just how imperfect determines the amount of loss. The reason that high end luxury cars use a projector instead of a reflector is because the projector can disperse light in a manner that is impossible for a reflector. The projector produces a razor edge on the top portion of the beam to reduce the glare to other drivers (even more than reflector housings) thus the lights can be pointed higher (giving more light distance) without bothering other drivers. I didn't look at the kit that Matt installed but if the calculations are done correctly and the arc point is in the right spot and the same size, it would be no different than putting a brighter halogen bulb in without melting the wiring harness.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get this kit? Looked around on the web but didn't come up with anything.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks to my supporters who are educated enough to understand physics, the kit I put in is a Polarion 5000K kit (see it at polarionlighting.com), consisting of phillips ballasts (like phillips light bulbs, big reliable company, you might have heard of them if you own a lamp and have ever had the need to replace a lightbulb, clearly not a korean company... fool), and phillips based bulbs with the arc measured to be in the same place as the stock fillament. This kit is not some cheap korean knock off, this kit is the premiere top of the line kit, and its true 3 year warranty proves that it is a trustable product. So next time you fools want to bad mouth someone get your ____ strait and do the research. Projectors are chosen because they can manage petter peripheral vision and light focusing while at the same time keeping a razor sharp cut off point so its not glaring oncoming traffic, also if you knew about light refraction listen up here maximus96, you would already know this! light is refracted out at wider angles through glass for more peripheral vision, research the index of refraction in air and in various types of glass, like i said learn this ____ before you try to bull____ someone that already does

Thanks kwc5811 for the support, the bulbs are made to have the arc at the focus point of the parabolic dish in this kit i believe, that way its not just glaring other drviers at the expense of my seeing even more, again the site for the kit I got is http://www.polarionlighting.com/ [/u]
Old 04-25-2005, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Is he waiting for someone to say "Yes, I am feeling jealous"? Anyways... back to watching Family Guy.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ssdm7683
I just want to see pics.
me too. before and after, please. like a before pic close to a wall and then one shining down the road and the afters to match. at night, of course.

oh, and how much was it and where did you get it?

chris
Old 04-25-2005, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Polarion kit cost me $385 plus tax, but thats because I work at BMW motorcycles and I get a discount on the kits that we sell, we usually only have the motorcycle kits in stock, but we can order car kits, the polarion kit is supposed to cost $599.00 +tax, again you can find it at:

http://www.polarionlighting.com

Once I get a chance I will post my before and after pics, my digital camera is at work. This kit is top of the line, there is nothing out there with more reliable components, the kits are warrantied for 3 years, that says something about the product, costs more than the rest, but will also work better than the rest.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The website doesn't really give alot of info on the technical aspects of the arc placement. Maybe before installing Matt, shoot a few pics of the two bulbs side by side with the mounting rings lined up so we can where the filament lines up with where the arc would be. Plus shoot a couple of pics of the light on a wall or garage door before and after. If they are the same, that would be enough for me to get a set.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here's a good read, http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3505
Old 04-25-2005, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also realize that POLARION is not listed in the kits terminated! Also all these kits are cheap junk, not highly respected names in lighting.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well all kits are illegal. what brand ballasts and bulb does polarion come with? i had a sh!tty kit before i sold it and it had no-name bulbs and no-name ballasts that use stupid plugs for +12v and ground.

and post a picture of the beam pattern and cutoff on a white wall if you can. that way we can be sure once and for all.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sheesh.....you tC guys don't play very well together, do ya? It seems like every time I come into the tC section to read, someone's ____ed off or has a chip on their shoulder.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Banned
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Here comes another 5 page debate over who knows the most(or least) about HID.

-Z

Quick Reply: Feeling Jealous? UPDATED WITH PICS may be 56K unfriendly