Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Immobilizer in 100% of tCs?

Old 07-28-2015, 07:45 PM

Default Immobilizer in 100% of tCs?

I am looking into a 2AZFE as an engine swap, do all TCs have immobilizers?

if so I might need to look into the camry 2AZ
Old 07-29-2015, 12:51 AM

also anyone know if the camry ECU is plug and play? maybe at least for the scion TC engine harness?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

the Spec tC's didn't have an immobilizer.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:01 AM

spec TCs?
Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

from 07-09 Scion offered the Spec Package for the tC, it was cheaper and didn't include several things that the standard tC did and only came in White, Flint Mica, Black Sand Pearl and Classic Silver Metallic.

one of the things not included was the immobilizer.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:30 AM

ok so thats apparently a base model?

is there a way to identify this in the ECU/Engine Harness?

are they rare?

and was this on the first gen 2AZ?
Old 07-30-2015, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

It isn't considered a base model, they didn't include any of the highly advertised standard equipment, along with only 4 colors available, for the most part you would request them specifically and they were limited in production. This was made available specifically for the racer/tuner crowd.

I don't know if there would be a way to tell from the ecu/harness.

this was available for the same 2AZ-FE offered from 07-10 tC.

The Scion tC 'Spec Package' became available in the 2007 model year. This package was aimed at tuners that would be modifying or racing the car. The largest changes were a fixed glass roof instead of the power moonroof and sixteen-inch steel wheels with hubcaps instead of seventeen-inch aluminum wheels. Other changes include a unique seat material, deleted cruise control and steering wheel controls, removal of the engine immobilizer system, blacked out grill and headlight treatment, and only four color options: Super White, Flint Mica, Black Sand Pearl and Classic Silver Metallic. The price for the tC Spec is $15,000 for MT and $15,800 for AT, plus $540 delivery fees.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:51 AM

so I probably would have an easier time hunting down a manual camry harness and ECU than these Spec TCs

I need to find out if there is a difference in the ECU for turning and what not.

maybe a way to tell in the vin? because I see many TCs labeled as "Base" in wrecking yards, but I dont think its the same hting?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

why do you need to change the ECU if you are just going to swap a 2AZ-FE with a 2AZ-FE? the immobilizer wouldn't change anything and even if you did use a new ECU with the immobilizer, you could just reprogram the new ECU to accept the keys you have, the immobilizer isn't part of the engine itself, its programming and a transponder in the car.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:24 AM

the swap is for a 1991 Toyota MR2
Old 07-30-2015, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i see, that is an important detail.

I believe the camry with the 2AZ-FE also had the immobilizer, but i don't know if it was standard or not. thats why it was on the tC, parts sharing.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by gjpjr84
i see, that is an important detail.

I believe the camry with the 2AZ-FE also had the immobilizer, but i don't know if it was standard or not. thats why it was on the tC, parts sharing.
there are plenty of camry 4cyls without immobilizer, found a couple ECUs already, problem is most of the camry engine harnesses dont mention if its auto or manual

what I have been trying to figure out is the differences (ECU and engine), and if I plan on modding this engine further what can be done with the TC ecu that cant be done with the camry ECU.

I've even heard people state the TC internals are coated and strengthened but the camry ones arent.

no wire places want to deal with the immobilizer.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:32 PM

ok, I had looked up a spec tc on ebay for the vin, then looked up the part number and had bought an ECU, engine is in the car and ready to go and the car wont fire, either the car I got the VIN from wasnt a spec tc, or toyodiy gave me the wrong part number, or the spec tcs are immobilized. I need to figure this out..
Old 03-21-2016, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

the spec tCs were specifically advertised as not having the engine immobilizer, you can see the features I posted above.

i don't know of a way to tell if it's a spec tC, other than seeing the car and noting if it has the correct features missing or not. I don't know how to tell based off the VIN.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:41 PM

the spec tCs were specifically advertised as not having the engine immobilizer, you can see the features I posted above.

i don't know of a way to tell if it's a spec tC, other than seeing the car and noting if it has the correct features missing or not. I don't know how to tell based off the VIN.
I was looking specifically for the urethane steering wheel without the audio controls, the vin I got it from stated it was spec tc as well
Old 03-22-2016, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

based on just the steering wheel I would look to see that it didn't have the cruise control stalk sticking out the bottom right as well.

the 2005 tC didn't have steering wheel controls either, and I think they may have started putting the steering wheel controls back on before they discontinued the spec package?

the last year(s) of the spec package started adding some of the minor cosmetic things back, at first they kept the reflector headlamps and non-chromed grill when the regular tC moved over to the projectors and new style grill, and it was the last year or so the spec tCs i saw kept them.

the ones definitely without the immobilizer shouldn't have an indicator light under the HVAC controls and to the left with a generic car silhouette with a key inside

Last edited by gjpjr84; 03-22-2016 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

also, SL has a VIN decoder thing that may or may not be able to tell you if the vin is coming from a spec tC or not? i don't have a spec tC VIN to compare or test it.

VIN Decoder - Scionlife.com

i guess it should either say the features from the spec or not have a check marked for the ones that aren't there.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:01 PM

also, SL has a VIN decoder thing that may or may not be able to tell you if the vin is coming from a spec tC or not? i don't have a spec tC VIN to compare or test it.

VIN Decoder - Scionlife.com

i guess it should either say the features from the spec or not have a check marked for the ones that aren't there.
well it does specify that its spec, I dont know
Scion TC Spec Coupe 2 Door | eBay
3dr HB Manual Spec (Natl) Spec $15,000.00 / $14,250.00

the pictures dont show that, or do they? that decoder says it is. I dont have the original vin I got the car from, it was awhile ago and ebay removed the listing.

edit, alright, it has a check mark, I found ONE car that it lists as not having an immobilizer, problem is its automatic, and in the picture of the interior I dont see the light you were talking about, I wish I would have had this vin decoder months ago

also its automatic, it shows in the pictures, and toyodiy lists as auto, but that vin decoder lists it as manual, wondering how accurate the whole thing is..

so you mean in this square at the bottom left right?
Name:  8qWJfbC.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  55.7 KB

if there is nothing there then no immobilizer? cause the vin decoder states this one does have an immobilier

Last edited by PseudoKirby; 03-24-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't think the auto/manual thing on the vin decoder matches the car, i think it is just default to manual, you can change it yourself on the drop down menu.

the spot on the HVAC that is blank in your picture is where the indicator light for the key transponder would go.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:45 PM

i don't think the auto/manual thing on the vin decoder matches the car, i think it is just default to manual, you can change it yourself on the drop down menu.

the spot on the HVAC that is blank in your picture is where the indicator light for the key transponder would go.
so if it doesnt have that light, its very likely it doesnt have an immobilizer?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Immobilizer in 100% of tCs?