Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Just bought Used 07 Scion, Concerned about Oil Consumption

Old 05-12-2016, 07:24 AM

Default Just bought Used 07 Scion, Concerned about Oil Consumption

Okay So i bought a Scion from a douchbag body shop worker/owner. (because he was kinda cool, but kinda dishonest) It was Cheap, had only 82,000 miles and I bought it thinking the Engine was rock solid pending oil changes. Then I read about all this oil consumption stuff after i bought it. So I decided to use Penziol 10w30 oil for my first oil change, the oil was full after putting about 500 miles on it btw.

So I stumble across this website that ask for your Vin number to see if you are part of the Active Campaign for Engine Repair through October 2016.

It says There is no current active campaign or recall for my vehicle.

Does that mean the poor soul who wrecked it before me, already had the service completed....or is this car just never eligible?

Also since I bought it from a private seller, and I assume it was totaled before I bought it...(i saw the picture, the front end damage was significant) Does that automatically disqualify the vehicle for the campaign.

Please don't answer unless you know for sure.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by fapestar
Okay So i bought a Scion from a douchbag body shop worker/owner. (because he was kinda cool, but kinda dishonest) It was Cheap, had only 82,000 miles and I bought it thinking the Engine was rock solid pending oil changes. Then I read about all this oil consumption stuff after i bought it. So I decided to use Penziol 10w30 oil for my first oil change, the oil was full after putting about 500 miles on it btw.

So I stumble across this website that ask for your Vin number to see if you are part of the Active Campaign for Engine Repair through October 2016.

It says There is no current active campaign or recall for my vehicle.

Does that mean the poor soul who wrecked it before me, already had the service completed....or is this car just never eligible?

Also since I bought it from a private seller, and I assume it was totaled before I bought it...(i saw the picture, the front end damage was significant) Does that automatically disqualify the vehicle for the campaign.

Please don't answer unless you know for sure.
Oh and BTW the only reason I say this is because my mechanic, while checking an engine code, said there was a little smoke coming from my tailpipe. Something I didn't observe at all and still don't. So its got me extra worried. That's why I put the 10w oil in case it was burning.

I really wish I would have heard about this problem before i purchased it.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:04 PM

Just an update if anybody was wondering. I answered some of my own questions by calling scion.

No, salvage vehicles are not considered from any out of warranty repair program, just recalls, as I expected.

No, the previous owner never took it in for a consumption test or had any engine repairs done.

I checked the exhaust pipe when I bought it and did not see any smoke after my brother was reving it for me.

So....I have to go rev it harder later and see just how much smoke they were talking about.

If there is a little smoke, how bad do you think that is. Can I still expect to get a lot of miles out of this beyond the 83 it currently has by maintaining the oil, or is it just a matter of time before the engine is done.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, Here's what you gotta do.
Just keep an eye on your oil levels. Every fill up check the level.
Keep track of the miles and if you notice significant oil loss between fill ups then you could go to a dealer and ask them about the ZE7 warrenty extension. all they do if sill it up. Make sure they show you the full amount before they seal it off with tape. (Some shady dealers have been over filling so by the time the test was over after 1200 miles it would have enough oil as not to fail.)
then you bring it back to the dealer and they record how much is missing and give you a pass or fail. a fail results in new pistons and rings.

So you can still drive the car. It's not "over" like you stated. It will just burn oil, all you have to do is replace it. I'm sure in time it will fail, but there are a bunch of people that just top it off if they are not eligible for the repair. If you don't check the level and you run it bone dry then yes. say goodbye to the motor.
If that were to occur, don't worry too much, 2AZ's are going for cheap you could just swap a low mileage one out.
I would still use a full synthetic 20w btw.
Good luck.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 2007 with 160k miles used to burn about a quart every 1k miles. I just purchased a 2010 with 115k miles. Looking forward to knowing soon if the consumption is (hopefully) less or non at all
Old 05-26-2016, 12:47 AM

My oil after about 1,000 mles is the same. So why is there smoke in the tailpipe. Iono but I feel so relieved.definitely changing oil every 3k. My oil is kinda on the dark side at the end of the dipstick. But maybe that because it was cold.