Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Just had water pump replaced, but now an issue...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just had water pump replaced, but now an issue...

My 2006 TC just had its water pump replaced a few days ago, but now there's a loud whining type of noise along with the battery light coming on, once I start it up. I've read some posts that a few people have mentioned that it's most likely the alternator going out or the belt on alternator going bad. I'm curious to know could the new water pump that's installed affect the alternator? Is it possible that the water pump going back, that the alternator connects to this issue I'm having? Please help me.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It can be the alternator going out, but who installed the water pump for you? For some reason i think the water pump pulley could somehow be stuck, causing the alternator to work harder which would make a loud whining noise coming from the belt and the battery light to come on. That's just a wild guess that i'm thinking of. I would check the belt and if that's fine, check the alternator and make sure it's working fine then move on to the water pump..if you had a shop install the water pump, take it to them and have them check it out to make sure everything is installed correctly on the water pump.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The water pump and alternator are independent but driven of the same serpentine belt. The alternator typically must be removed to access and remove the water pump. With the car off, verify that the alternator had been properly reconnected, and that the battery terminals are both clean and tight. Then with the engine running verify that the alternator pulley is spinning with the belt.