Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Key Fob Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:24 PM
SL Member

Default Key Fob Replacement

Dealer wants $220 plus programming $110. Has anyone gotten an aftermarket keyfob with remote for cheaper that works well and that the dealer can program?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Search this forum. I remember a guy dissecting his key to pull out the "chip" and reinstall into a new replacement key. I think he did it for a flip key, but the process should be generally the same. That will probably be a whole lot cheaper than working through a dealer.

Last edited by bbsciontc; 03-01-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Key fob!

I've done this myself a few times,it's very simple, just a little patience and you shouldn't have any problems.First you need some sort of an utility knife,I used the ones for car modeling build,a very small flat head screwdriver to pry out the chip that I highlighted.The original key fob has some sort of glue over the chip so you need to scrape that stuff off with the knife,again you need patience because it takes a bit of effort to get that glue off,once that's done take the small screwdriver and pry out the chip out,be careful not to damage it because is well imbedded in there,once is out all you do is transfer it to the new fob with the other innards,good luck and hope this helps!
Name:  Key_Ink_LI_zpszcizapmb.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  189.0 KB
Old 03-09-2017, 10:06 PM

I needed a copy and went to home depot and bought their TOY43-EK Toyota Transponder Key for about $70. They programmed the new key using my original and works fine for me.
This option is only if you don't want the remote unlocking part of it. I have an aftermarket alarm for unlocking and locking my car.