10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Default Keyless Entry Not Working!!!!

Ok. . . now I'm officially mad.

All of the sudden, my OEM keyless entry decided to poop out on me today. The LED on the remote still lights up, the power door locks work when using the key manually or on the door control. . . but the remote buttons do not work. And the car is barely two months old.

I'll post updates when I get em. . . I took the car in to Longo and we'll see what they say.

Anybody else have this problem?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:52 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

search?

i mentioned rf jamming being a possibilty numerous times and have personally experienced it.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Sorry, I didn't pull any relavent threads on a search, but if you're talking the same kind of RF jamming that I'm thinking about. . . it's probably not the case, as it's been happening all day (in different locations). I'll do a search.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My battery was low, and it wouldn't unlock from further than 5 ft. away, but I started using my other key and it was fine. Maybe that's what it is? But anyways yeah.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:50 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

ohh.. well it's pretty much one of those two things.

cause i've experienced my keyless not working when even i was right next to the car only in certain areas.

i can't imagine your battery or anything crapping out on you within 2 months.... at this point i'm clueless.

try your other key?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My battery died recently. The distance I could unlock the car from got shorter and shorter, until the red LED on the key would flash, but I'd have to be three feet from the car for it to unlock.

Batteries are about $7.00 each. But, if you want to have a couple spares around, pick up an Inova keychain flashlight from Target:

Last time I checked, they were about $6.00 each. They use the exact same battery as the tC's remote does, and use two of them.

Flashlight+2 extra batteries on your keychain.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

did u check with the dealer yet?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There may be an interesting mod involved here with some solder and copper wire... we could extend the range, allowing you to cheap out and save a few more bucks for a few more weeks

Or you can unlock the door from a mile away so someone can hop in your backseat and rob you once you get in
Old 12-08-2006, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Like I said, the car is barely two months old, so it wasn't the battery. . .

. . . and took it to the dealer.

Cause: Open Circuit -Lost Program
Correction: Reprogrammed Remote
Cond Code: 72
Fail Code: 74

I don't know what that means. . . and the tech left right after he did my car, so I couldn't really discuss it in detail. It "happens" they say.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt

I don't know what that means. . . and the tech left right after he did my car, so I couldn't really discuss it in detail. It "happens" they say.

It means 1 of 2 things, something actually happened, so they reprogrammed it to the car, or they reprogrammed it to the car so you think they did something.

If you play around and push buttons on the fob out of range of the car, it will stop working with the car. There is also a small possibility that the fob had a memory error and stopped working, though this is doubtful.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by farberio
Originally Posted by djct_watt

It means 1 of 2 things, something actually happened, so they reprogrammed it to the car, or they reprogrammed it to the car so you think they did something.

If you play around and push buttons on the fob out of range of the car, it will stop working with the car. There is also a small possibility that the fob had a memory error and stopped working, though this is doubtful.
There was no gradual reduction in range. . . and the car is TWO MONTHS OLD. I've had tons of cars, all with remote fobs. . . I know the characteristics of a dying battery.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like the remote and the car have a relationship in that the digital security codes of opening it (pressing a button on the remote, the car acknowledging it) or locking it

Sounds like the codes for the remote continually "roll" in that they change. a nice security feature. If it is true for an OEM keyless entry.

If farberio is correct with the theory on playing with the remote out of range of the car, the this would explain why your remote LED came on, but the car refused to acknowlege it.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
Sounds like the codes for the remote continually "roll" in that they change. a nice security feature. If it is true for an OEM keyless entry.

If farberio is correct with the theory on playing with the remote out of range of the car, the this would explain why your remote LED came on, but the car refused to acknowlege it.

Yes, keyfobs do 'roll'. I can go it it in more depth, but its midnight here so pm me if you want to know.

As far as I am concerned, djct_watt, I create keyfobs at work. Low batteries cause shorter range because they have less power. I doubt that your battery was dead which is why I offered other possible problems.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by farberio
Originally Posted by sciontc_mich

Yes, keyfobs do 'roll'. I can go it it in more depth, but its midnight here so pm me if you want to know.

As far as I am concerned, djct_watt, I create keyfobs at work. Low batteries cause shorter range because they have less power. I doubt that your battery was dead which is why I offered other possible problems.
oh i know all about "rolling codes" didn't know that most oem's were using them lately. I always did say that was the safest way for keyless entry, glad to see them using it! but for anyone else if they want to know.. they can PM farberio
Old 01-20-2007, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, i guess im having the same problem here. Ive had the car for about 2 weeks and this is a pretty odd thing to happen. The really odd thing is that I had to go to the grocery store a couple times today, and guess what, it worked at the stores i went to. 2 different stores but neither of the remotes work at my house all of a sudden. I guess its a good thing that this happened now because i have to take the car back to the dealer on monday anyways because they didnt install the lip spoiler correctly and one of the sides is lifting off a little bit.

I am however very concered about this whole, breaking the remote by pushing the buttons when its out of range. The buttons on this remote are extremely sensitive and they will get somehow triggered while being put into a pocket with hardly any pressure put on them. oh well...
Old 01-20-2007, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

After lookin at some of the other posts Im thinkin that the whole military thing might have been the cause for this problem. Although i dont work on one of the various naval bases this problem did start after getting home from bay bass fishing(for those of you that dont know the San Diego bay is filled with all kinds of cool navy ships). and i made damn sure that my keys didnt get wet because we have a dry compartment for keys, cell phones and such. I think there were 3 ships that left that day so maybe it had something to do with them...