Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

The new guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 05:05 PM

Default The new guy

Hey guys and gals been watching the forums for a bit and decided to register. Recently I was looking to get a 350z and swap out my tc but things didn't go like I planned. Could look for another or play with what I have. Opted to make this stock tc a project, looked at reviews and ordered an agency power catback exhaust with an aem cai. Also read on these forums that a 1.5 inch drop is optimal for handling, that'll be my next step. My car knowledge (as far as hardware installation/maintenance) is super basic nothing beyond oil, spark plugs, swapping a tire etc, so sorry ahead of time for any noob posts. Psyched for the challenge
Old 12-03-2016, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

welcome.
post some pix when u can
Old 12-03-2016, 09:22 PM

Thanks, plan to take pictures tomorrow as a before set. Then snap shots as I add on
Old 12-09-2016, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are modding your car with bolt-on's and want the most power out of them, the best bang for the buck is a tune. Even in stock form. Check out OrangeVirus Tuning. They can Reflash your stock ECU for gains of 10-15% over stock. No other single bolt on can claim that short of a turbo or supercharger.

http://www.OVTuned.com
Old 12-10-2016, 12:35 AM

Thanks! I'll take a look, cat back is coming during week and putting on next Saturday. I'll put up pix when it's installed
Old 12-11-2016, 09:04 PM

Awesome update...that ap cat back I ordered isn't coming. Seller stated that agency discontinued it 5 months ago, getting my cash back and seller pulled the part listing but agency still has it up. Sent them a message hope to hear back. If anyone has any other suggestions for a cat let me know. Don't care about sound just gains
Old 12-16-2016, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As someone who had gone through a variety of modifications in 11+ years of owning this car, I will make a few suggestions:

With bolt-on's you will make a bit more power, but have realistic expectations. It's not going to make a night an day difference, however the differences are subtle but there. The no-brainer mod is a cold air intake, but get one from a proper manufacturer like AEM or Injen. Don't got with ebay as they are often not sized appropriately and are know to throw off the car's MAF sensor (measures air coming into the engine). Cat-back make some power but not a lot honestly. They are mostly for sounds, and some of them are pretty decent.

So probably the best bolt on mod is a header. These were dyno proven back in the day to give a nice bump in the top end. HOWEVER, the big drawback is that it completely ruins the sound of the car. The car will sound like a raspy rice burner from the original Fast and Furious movie. They DO make power, but to me it wasn't worth the noise since this is my commuter.

The tune mentioned above is a new development, believe it or not. Wasn't available until this year I think. Although I haven't tried it, a guy in a Toyota Matrix with the same engine did it, and got impressive gains. It's unfortunate this wasn't out back in the day. In any case, I think the best bang for the buck is an Injen intake, cat-back or axleback of your choosing, and a retune of the ECU after completing these modifications. You could get the header too if you don't care about the noise, and that will definitely net you more power. I'd recommend going with the Dezod Green header, as that is known to be the most effective at suppressing the raspy sound.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the info, currently deciding on going with headers or a low boost turbo. If I go the header route I'll keep dezod in my mind. Also update to anyone reading got a magnaflow 16640 catback should get here next week. Also got tien street basic coilovers should be here end of day, might have to wait on install though since labor is more then I expected. Anyone have a DIY link with pictures? All the ones posted are missing now and I only have extremely basic car knowledge. Thanks again
Old 12-16-2016, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a word of warning, don't go turbo if your car knowledge is basic. These cars were never designed for boost, and they will have issues come up from time to time. You need to have moderate knowledge of what you are doing to deal with these, or it will become very expensive, very quickly.

On the other hand, naturally aspirated bolt ons are nearly drama free. I ran an intake and header for 8 years, more or less drama free. I've only been running my turbo for a year, and have had issues with my idle, intercooler pipes popping off, engine stuttering under load, tunes going pig rich, misfires, stuck injectors; the list goes on. I don't mind it personally, since I fixed most of this myself.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea 2x, if you dont know how to do stuff dont turbo your car.

Ive been in the turbo game for years with different cars. And its not for newbes.

Bolts on will work but you wont net much hp.
You should rrally learn how to do these things try youtube or google for guides. I really dont know of any since i do all my own work prertty much ase
Old 12-18-2016, 08:07 PM

Appreciate the info, modding my car is a 2 fold project one is the performance aspect (obviously) and I do have a realistic expectation of what my gains will be from bolts. The second is gaining car knowledge and taking my time to further learn about my car so I can do it myself in the future. I have money for a dezod turbo kit now but (if I go that route) won't install for at the least 6 months. Also back on track getting magnaflow catback installed on the 26th and tien street basic coilovers shortly after