Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Oil Consumption Test Fail

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Man I'm just now finding out about this. I never even received a TSB in the mail and I'm the original owner since December 2006. I was always wondering why I would release less oil than what I put in every time I did my oil change. I'd get about an overage 1 to 1.5 qts drain out on 4,500 - 5,000 mile interval changes. I've been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic since after the first few months of owning the car. I'm going to try and contact the dealership tomorrow. My issue is that I've always done my oil changes myself and don't have any receipts from the service department to back up anything. I have a feeling they'll give me s*** because I never took it in the dealer even though I followed the maintenance manual religiously.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
Man I'm just now finding out about this. I never even received a TSB in the mail and I'm the original owner since December 2006. I was always wondering why I would release less oil than what I put in every time I did my oil change. I'd get about an overage 1 to 1.5 qts drain out on 4,500 - 5,000 mile interval changes. I've been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic since after the first few months of owning the car. I'm going to try and contact the dealership tomorrow. My issue is that I've always done my oil changes myself and don't have any receipts from the service department to back up anything. I have a feeling they'll give me s*** because I never took it in the dealer even though I followed the maintenance manual religiously.

It wouldn't hurt to ask. They can't really deny it or blow you off since its a legitimate issue.

Just don't be one of those dicks who goes in there guns blazing and expect a free motor rebuild without having to complete the two phase test Lolol ... Thats when they'll blow you off haha
Old 08-24-2015, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jayrdee
It wouldn't hurt to ask. They can't really deny it or blow you off since its a legitimate issue.

Just don't be one of those dicks who goes in there guns blazing and expect a free motor rebuild without having to complete the two phase test Lolol ... Thats when they'll blow you off haha
Lol yeah. I took it in last Monday and now I have to do their 1,200 mile test to see if I'm burning more than I should. If I fail the test then they'll explain from there what will be covered in the rebuild or full replacement.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I failed the oil consumption last april, took a bit of back and forth between scion and my local dealership, but phase 2 is having the dealership order the Oil Consumption Parts Kit. It includes all parts that needs to be replaced to correct the issue. I'm just waiting for a call from my dealership when they get it. It's on back order due to the demand.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by FreestyleXS
I failed the oil consumption last april, took a bit of back and forth between scion and my local dealership, but phase 2 is having the dealership order the Oil Consumption Parts Kit. It includes all parts that needs to be replaced to correct the issue. I'm just waiting for a call from my dealership when they get it. It's on back order due to the demand.
The local dealer in my area said that parts were on back order till possibly October for the same reason. It's crazy that the demand is still high on this when the service bulletin has been around since August 2011.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The San Francisco manager told me they have zero updates from corporate and the chances they it will keep getting delayed is super high..

So when October comes around, they'll say January.. etc etc
Old 09-07-2015, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine is burning oil and according to their test, .60 quarts per thousand miles is acceptable. At a normal 5k oil change interval I'm still looking to lose at least 3 quarts! That's insane.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:01 PM

I just went through the "fix" and yes they did replace the piston seals and I opted to have the spark plugs replaced as well. What they did offer was to take care of my 100K mile check up to the tune of about $2000+. I opted not to have them do it. You have to stay on them. I just happened to call to verify that until the problem was resolved my oil changes were back under warranty and it was time.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jus2tastee
I just went through the "fix" and yes they did replace the piston seals and I opted to have the spark plugs replaced as well. What they did offer was to take care of my 100K mile check up to the tune of about $2000+. I opted not to have them do it. You have to stay on them. I just happened to call to verify that until the problem was resolved my oil changes were back under warranty and it was time.
Can you give a step by step process on how you got your issue resolved? Stuff like when did you have the car taken in (date) and how long it took them to repair the damages and stuff like that.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:22 PM

Default Process on oil Consumption

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
Can you give a step by step process on how you got your issue resolved? Stuff like when did you have the car taken in (date) and how long it took them to repair the damages and stuff like that.
I took it in but forgot to go back so had to start test all over. June 2 took it back and they sealed everything. Oil light came on at 1130 miles so I called emailed to see if I needed an spot to have it read they said no. I went on June 29th and it failed miserably. I was then told that my oil changes were back under warranty until the fix happened. The parts were ordered and the waiting game began. Around August 28 my oil light flashed. I emailed my service advisor like I'm coming in for an oil change and he responded that he was actually finishing up the last request for parts so I should bring the car in and prepare to leave it for about 1 week. Dropped it off on Monday 08/31/15 it was ready that Friday evening. Hope this helps although I was told that parts are being distributed sparingly to all the states. My personal mechanic says they are trying to wear owners down in hopes that they ditch the "problem". He also told me that Toyota is not smart in that they are basically paying a lot of money to mechanics to rebuild what would be cheaper and less labor to replace entire engine. We will see.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car is currently at the dealership with the entire engine out, they are replacing all the pistons and piston rings, and they mentioned the design is in fact different so the problem doesn't arise again. only thing is they are recommending that I have the intake/ exhaust valve guide seals replaced at a cost of $500 that is not covered by the warranty. Going to allow them to do it since the head is out and not have to worry if they are worn out from excessive heat my engine might have put out. my car is at 154,634 miles, I am the original owner. have been experiencing oil consumption since 2011 when I hit 100,000 miles
Old 09-18-2015, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yupinmytC
My car is currently at the dealership with the entire engine out, they are replacing all the pistons and piston rings, and they mentioned the design is in fact different so the problem doesn't arise again. only thing is they are recommending that I have the intake/ exhaust valve guide seals replaced at a cost of $500 that is not covered by the warranty. Going to allow them to do it since the head is out and not have to worry if they are worn out from excessive heat my engine might have put out. my car is at 154,634 miles, I am the original owner. have been experiencing oil consumption since 2011 when I hit 100,000 miles
Totally do the valve guides. You're basically getting a Toyota rebuilt engine for $500 dollars. That's fantastic!
Old 12-04-2015, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Have same problem with 2005 TC at 180k miles

Any idea how much this costs to fix or what the long term problems could be with it? My 2005 Scion TC is having the same issue.

Could that have been a problem with older model years also? It doesn't sound like it is covered, but just want to check. I am burning well over a quart every 1000 miles from what I can tell.

It seems like this problem started this year or the last year. I had a leak on the valve gasket cover I fixed recently, but not sure if I could have installed it wrong since the problem seemed like it has gotten worse since I made that fix. I don't think it was a quart every 1000 miles until recently.

Is it worth bothering to fix, should I get a new car, or just drive it to death as is. Was hoping to get another 2 years out of it for a Tesla 3, but that seems like a long ways out with this problem.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rideincircles
Any idea how much this costs to fix or what the long term problems could be with it? My 2005 Scion TC is having the same issue.

Could that have been a problem with older model years also? It doesn't sound like it is covered, but just want to check. I am burning well over a quart every 1000 miles from what I can tell.

It seems like this problem started this year or the last year. I had a leak on the valve gasket cover I fixed recently, but not sure if I could have installed it wrong since the problem seemed like it has gotten worse since I made that fix. I don't think it was a quart every 1000 miles until recently.

Is it worth bothering to fix, should I get a new car, or just drive it to death as is. Was hoping to get another 2 years out of it for a Tesla 3, but that seems like a long ways out with this problem.
It all depends what's in your budget. I'm still waiting til it's time to do my next oil change to remeasure the oil. Apparently I passed the test the first time which I think is kind of odd but we'll wait and see for the second go around. To be honest, before you start rebuilding anything just go step by step to see what could be the issue. I can tell you that I'm using high mileage full synthetic mobil 1 this time around which is probably why I passed the oil consumption test and it probably fixed the seals in the engine. If you decide to to a rebuild it'll easily cost you $3,000++ depending where you get it done and how well they work.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:03 AM

Default 08 tC Oil consumption test failed

Hi everyone I'm new to this site .. My wife has a 2008 tC with 163000 I've been doing the oil changes since 2010 Mobil 1 synthetic. We recently received a letter from Toyota For excessive oil consumption a week later I went to Toyota and bought Toyota oil and filter so when the car went in for the consumption test it would have the factory oil and filter on it . We drop the car off a couple weeks ago they change oil and tamperproof the engine , my wife then drove the car for 1260 miles before returning it to the dealer , it failed the test badly . The dealer told us they would order the parts for engine and call us when they come in I asked him specifically what they were doing to the engine they said piston and rings and I asked what what about the mains and rod bearing having 160k on them? They said they would inspect them and if they won't one they would put a new crank in it . I also asked if the block got machine that all and the said no! I'm very concerned.. I feel like it's going to be a half ___ fix and possibly take life off my engine! I'm considering not having the work done .. What also bothers me is when we were leaving the service manager came out and told us if anything happens to the engine from now until they work on it it's not on them!! I'm wondering how low the oil was when the checked it! I asked him and he wouldn't answer me!
Old 01-03-2016, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have 160,000 on my 08 tC and i consume about 1 quart between oil change (3000 miles) I haven't heard anything about the warranty.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-17-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since the $3k fix is about the trade in value of the car, that is not an option for me. How will this affect the engine long term? I was hoping to get 2 more years out of my car and get a Tesla 3 when they hit the market, but not sure if that is feasible with this issue. Does the oil burning have any major long term affects? Or will the engine be fine as long as it never runs out of oil. My oil indicator life usually turns on when braking indicating that I need to add more after a couple thousand miles or so.

I assume the spark plugs can get fouled easier, but otherwise, can my car make it another 2 years or 40,000 miles or so with this issue? What other problems can come about? I would assume it is easier to replace the engine with a used one than it is to do the rimjob. Just checking.

I did have it checked at Toyota and was told my model is not covered since it is an earlier year than the TSB models.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Briantc
Hi everyone I'm new to this site .. My wife has a 2008 tC with 163000 I've been doing the oil changes since 2010 Mobil 1 synthetic. We recently received a letter from Toyota For excessive oil consumption a week later I went to Toyota and bought Toyota oil and filter so when the car went in for the consumption test it would have the factory oil and filter on it . We drop the car off a couple weeks ago they change oil and tamperproof the engine , my wife then drove the car for 1260 miles before returning it to the dealer , it failed the test badly . The dealer told us they would order the parts for engine and call us when they come in I asked him specifically what they were doing to the engine they said piston and rings and I asked what what about the mains and rod bearing having 160k on them? They said they would inspect them and if they won't one they would put a new crank in it . I also asked if the block got machine that all and the said no! I'm very concerned.. I feel like it's going to be a half ___ fix and possibly take life off my engine! I'm considering not having the work done .. What also bothers me is when we were leaving the service manager came out and told us if anything happens to the engine from now until they work on it it's not on them!! I'm wondering how low the oil was when the checked it! I asked him and he wouldn't answer me!
From what I know is that you will have to pay for the seal replacements which can be $500+. The rest of the faulty parts will be under warranty but be prepared for hidden costs for other part replacements that might have gone bad and is not covered and for other services.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by zap-o-matic
They will only reimburse you if you have had work done pertaining to the oil consumption out of pocket, it wont matter as long as you get it checked while it is under the extended warranty period. Mine passed at exactally 1 quart in 1200 miles, Toyota defines "excessive" as anything over 1 quart in a 1300 mile period. Since I drive 3k a month and have extended warranty on this till Oct 2016 (unlimited mileage till Oct 16') I am just going to let it ride and rack up some miles before I do anything, let them get the kinks worked out.
I read the non offical TSB (hook ups at a dealer) and they are saying new pistons and rings. Apparently the oil passages in the pistons are prone to clogging. Hopefully they will go through with it like that so I can say, "While your in there......" Lol
I just had the test done on my 2007 Scion tC and it used 1 quart in 1100 miles which Toyota states is not excessive. I was told it needs to use over one quart. sounds like a crap to me.

Any car that uses a quart of oil in 1100 miles is junk in my book. I asked the guy, should I just drive it the 5000 miles the owners manual recommends between oil changes and let the engine lock up from being out of oil?

Pretty sad!!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-17-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Briantc

It really sucks doesn't it. If you were to rebuild an engine you would not just put pistons and rings in it. Very disappointed on how Toyota is dropping the ball on this. My dealer was quick to point out that this was Toyota not them doing this. I said it was you that sold me the car not Toyota so don't hand me that line of crap.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption Test Fail