Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

This place is pretty dead...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 02:22 PM

Unhappy This place is pretty dead...

I've been a member of an auto forum before for my Jeep. People post multiple times per day there. It's a very active board.

Is it me...or are all of the Scion (specifically tC) forums dead???

Old 05-10-2016, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are now. Back in the day, this place was so happening. I've been a member since 2005. These cars don't have a cult following like jeeps, so everyone moved on to bigger, better or newer things.

The good things is that most questions you may have are already answered, so you can find a ton by searching.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by dude1116
I've been a member of an auto forum before for my Jeep. People post multiple times per day there. It's a very active board.
x2 what bbsciontc said. I have been here 9 years.
When this Board started it was not unusual to get multiple replies to your questions in the same day.

But comparing Jeep vs Scion tC is trying to compare Apples and Oranges.
Jeep was started in 1941 vs Scion in 2003. You only have a 62 year head start.

Jeep is still an Active Division under Fiat Chrysler Automobile vs Scion tC that will be defunct in 2016.

And if Chrysler near bankruptcy did not get a bailout during the Financial Crisis, them and Jeep would be Defunct.

Any case, SL still has the most extensive Library, Resource and D-I-Y articles than any other tC Site.

If you go to see Who's Online at any time or even 2am-3am in the morning you will see a bunch of Guests pouring through the Forums.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-11-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by MR_LUV
But comparing Jeep vs Scion tC is trying to compare Apples and Oranges.
Jeep was started in 1941 vs Scion in 2003. You only have a 62 year head start.
I guess so. But the Jeep forum I am a part of is a single model that is no longer produced. So my model itself is "defunct" as you say.

The Jeep Liberty forum that I am on is EXTREMELY active compared to here.

It's a shame, really. The 1G and the 2G tC are so much more similar than the Liberty and the Cherokee (its replacement). And aftermarket mods are so much more readily available for the tC than the KJ (Liberty).

While Scion is going to be defunct, it's not defunct yet. They're still being sold until mid 2016. And a few of the models are being sold under the Toyota name, as you are probably aware. So some of the models will live on (the only two I know of are the iA and the FR-S). Not that it makes a difference for this forum.

As for this forum holding a lot of information, I can see that. However it takes quite some time of sorting through half or non-answered threads to get a decent answer with good evidence to back it up.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dude1116

Scion is no more.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by TTCCC
Scion is no more.
Again...not yet. They're still selling until the middle of this year. People are acting like it's been gone for a while and there is no longer any interest in their vehicles.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But first gens are especially dead due to their age. 2G tc's are more different than you think. Different engine, trans, suspension, etc. There's basically nothing that can be reused with the second gen, making this forum so dead now. But man, you should have seen it before. It was such a great resource.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
But first gens are especially dead due to their age. 2G tc's are more different than you think. Different engine, trans, suspension, etc. There's basically nothing that can be reused with the second gen, making this forum so dead now. But man, you should have seen it before. It was such a great resource.
Such a bummer. Well I'm here to stay for a while. Maybe I'll liven it up a bit
Old 05-14-2016, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dead
Old 05-19-2016, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely nowhere near as active as the Honda and Acura forums I belong to

I still like these cars. I know they're not very popular anymore but still fun to drive. I used to own a 2007. Decided to leave Scion thinking for good (bought a 2011 Corolla S), but recently went back and bought a 2010 TC. The Corolla will just never cut it for someone like myself who likes a sporty car with some power
Old 05-19-2016, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mc1114
The Corolla will just never cut it for someone like myself who likes a sporty car with some power
Maybe you just bought the wrong Corolla?
The 10th gen Corolla XRS has the same 2AZ-FE as the tC and has a lower curb weight...
Old 05-24-2016, 09:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am happy that I have something even more special/unique! Now that scion is gone, more rare is awesome. It also means that the car will be even "less stolen" for parts. It was low production numbers when scion was in existence, even less now! Unlike something like the civic or accord where a higher number of production vehicles would cause a demand for parts, which increases theft.

I did talk to the Toyota dealers I ordered parts from and Toyota has told them the parts are not going anywhere. They're saying at least another decade of parts availability! I think this has to do with how the tC shares parts with other Toyota vehicles, that helps a lot! This site was insane back in the day, lots of activity, but things change, it just happens. Oh well, I'm still happy I have my tc1! Plan on keeping it for a long time.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still here, the old Gs are still larking and creeping...

This forum was the best in the glory days of the 1st Gen Tc. I got so much information from this forum, built my car due to this forum both with information, parts for sale and just great DYIs

Thanks ScionLife! saving me 100s from day 1.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC1 is a great example of a trendy car. The problem with trendy stuff is trends always change and people move on to the next trend. Jeeps are not trendy, but classic. Classics never go out of style. The Civic is a comparable car that is also classic, but nowhere near Jeep classic status. People still modify Civics (new and used), although not as much as 20 years ago.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by HKSpeed
The tC1 is a great example of a trendy car. The problem with trendy stuff is trends always change and people move on to the next trend. Jeeps are not trendy, but classic. Classics never go out of style. The Civic is a comparable car that is also classic, but nowhere near Jeep classic status. People still modify Civics (new and used), although not as much as 20 years ago.
I concur.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my area, the people I see driving scions are not the type of person who give any Fs about cars. My build has slowed down with school demanding a lot of my time and attention.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by HKSpeed
My Liberty is not "classic" lol. In the lifted Jeeps world it's damn unique.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Back in the early days the SL community was on fire like no other. There would be certain threads where you could post a response, and by the time the page refreshed, there would be 2-3 responses already. It was like you were on AIM or something having a conversation with a bunch of people.

Those were the good days, when people were innovating new products for the car, and posting DIY's, and all that good stuff. Unfortunately, there came a time where a ton of new members joined and would start new threads asking the same FAQ's over and over which kind of diluted the content and website. It was around that time I stopped posting, or reading the forum.

Instead of the website I knew where people were posting up wiring diagrams, and other useful information, it became a place where every other thread was "will xxx rim fit, or how do you fix the hatch rattle" which had been rehashed a million times. I couldn't handle the generic dumb posts anymore and some of the mods were getting weird so I just stopped logging on.

Its a shame that the forum I use to visit more than facebook (back when it was only for certain college students) has come to this, because I feel like a lot of new owners could benefit from the type of forum I use to enjoy.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Younger people participate more in groups on Facebook, Telegram, WhatsApp, etc, instead of website forums. I was part of a tC Facebook group, but I left because of the immaturity and disorganization. Online forums like this site are dying out. Some online forums are still popular because of their older user base.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
This place is still a great resource. I've gotten a lot of great info from long dead threads