Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:11 PM

Default please help!

I have wanted a Tc since they came out. And now I own a 2006 Tc! Now the firat thing I do when I buy a car is personalize it a little. It is bone stock right now, and I sure would like to have dual exhaust (axle back). But for the life of me I cant find the right y pipe to split the exhaust into two exits... Does anybody know where to buy custom y pipes or a dual exit axleback system?
Old 03-04-2014, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by maniacalmetal
I have wanted a Tc since they came out. And now I own a 2006 Tc! Now the firat thing I do when I buy a car is personalize it a little. It is bone stock right now, and I sure would like to have dual exhaust (axle back). But for the life of me I cant find the right y pipe to split the exhaust into two exits... Does anybody know where to buy custom y pipes or a dual exit axleback system?
The tC was never designed with an option for dual exhaust so therefor nobody has ever put time into R&D for it or even developed such a thing. Your only option is checking local exhaust shops and having them modify your axleback section into a Y (weld in they Y pipe and weld your two new mufflers into place, you dont have a hangar for another muffler either so that will have to be fabbed up as well) for a couple hundy, but youll want to step down in pipe size out of the Y unless you want to lose power and efficiency from lack of back pressure. Only reason to not step down after the Y is forced induction, its all about back pressure brotha.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is spot on however you forgot to mention the bumper fabrication as well. There isn't a spot for a second tip on the left side. People have done the dual exhaust before. It's just all custom. Nothing you can buy. Any exhaust place can do it in an hour or so. Any Y pipe works and they'll have plenty of them. Super easy and easy to route. Just need that bumper cut out.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While it is up to you, this is what I'll comment about dual exhaust. It would serve no purpose other than looks. It adds weight and is expensive for just a "look"

Just get a good quality axle back set-up. Put the money to do it custom elsewhere.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by troy2003
The tC was never designed with an option for dual exhaust so therefor nobody has ever put time into R&D for it or even developed such a thing. Your only option is checking local exhaust shops and having them modify your axleback section into a Y (weld in they Y pipe and weld your two new mufflers into place, you dont have a hangar for another muffler either so that will have to be fabbed up as well) for a couple hundy, but youll want to step down in pipe size out of the Y unless you want to lose power and efficiency from lack of back pressure. Only reason to not step down after the Y is forced induction, its all about back pressure brotha.
As for the hanger, there is one on both sides of the stock muffler and that is what gave me the idea. Im a decent welder, so i might just cut two pipes at an angle, weld them together, cut the welded end to where it fits flush with the stock pipe, and just weld it up. I just thought that sombody would have found a kit (maybe for another car) that fits...
As for the backpressure/ weight... I dont have any money into performance yet, so Im not worried about it too much.
And the second opening doesnt sound too bad, it isnt hard to cut then grind and smooth the bumper cover right on the car...
Old 03-05-2014, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There you go. You got it all figured out. We answered the questions you had and then some more. Go out and do it. It's just looks. everything else is a negative. And in most eyes, the looks are negative too. Let us know when you have it done and post pics! Thanks!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM

Thank you all and I will post pix when its all done!
Old 02-09-2016, 01:03 PM

Default Update!

It has been a VERY long time since I have been on scionlife, but as promised, here are pics and vids. The first vid is without mufflers and covers wot, cruising, and hard acceleration. The second is with dual R-Type N1 style mufflers and is just a rev video. To be honest, I prefer no mufflers. Hope it was worth the wait for you all!

Last edited by maniacalmetal; 02-09-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Missing links...
Old 02-09-2016, 01:11 PM

Default Pix

Pics and vids wont post in the same reply I guess...