Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Rear metal garnish

Old 07-16-2015, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rear metal garnish

Finally for the first time my rear garnish broke. Now being that there are so many issues with them I figure why waste money on a new OEM one just to have it break again? I been trying to find some solid replacements or maybe even a metal one? I did a few searches and found a couple threads but nothing helpful. Has anyone found a better solution ?
Old 07-17-2015, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's a company that makes a metal one for $130+shipping. Its a bit pricey, by the piece appears well engineered and comes pre-painted.

I'm actually debating getting one, but I'm holding off to see if they have any deals on it. You can find them through Google.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI, you can get around this issue by lifting the tailgate from the bottom of the hatch itself, right where it meets the bumper. When I open mine, I use one hand to just press the button, and the other to lift from the bottom of the hatch where it's metal. I've never had a problem this way and I've owned my car since 2005.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
FYI, you can get around this issue by lifting the tailgate from the bottom of the hatch itself, right where it meets the bumper. When I open mine, I use one hand to just press the button, and the other to lift from the bottom of the hatch where it's metal. I've never had a problem this way and I've owned my car since 2005.
I understand what you are saying. I have had the car since 08 and never had a broken garnish until now and I do find its a weak spot so in my mind to buy another "defective" OEM one seems pointless. I'd rather just spend a few more dollars to get a quality replacement that will last the rest of the cars life.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also there was a diy repair/fix floating around somewhere if you want so save a few bucks. That repair basically calls for using JB Weld at the weak mounting points.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by electrongeek
Also there was a diy repair/fix floating around somewhere if you want so save a few bucks. That repair basically calls for using JB Weld at the weak mounting points.
Money isn't really an issues. I am just looking for a rock solid solution and I think the metal garnish is my only option. Car has been great and has low mileage which means I'm going to have it for a long period of time. So no reason for me to half ___ it with OEM junk or JB it. Thanks for your replies guys.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Theres some better aftermarket molded tail garnishes on eBay that i've seen.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a few metal replacement options that aren't pricey. Some are painted (I don't know how well the vendor's colors match tC stock colors.) Some are primed. They also have a carbon fiber "color".
abcmarts | eBay