2005-2010 [ANT10]

Scion coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member

Default Scion coupe

NEXT SCION MODEL
-Called g3
-2 door coupe, liftback (looks like a refined civic coupe)
-Due out June 2004
-2.4L 155HP STANDARD
-Double wishbone suspension
-Front Sport bucket seats (fully recline 180 degrees)
-Seats 5, tons of cargo room (60/40 rear, rear seats ALSO recline!)
-Availible in Auto or Manual...
-...and Manual version comes with a SHIFT GATE (a la ferrari)
-Heres a biggie: ENTIRE ROOF MADE OF GLASS! (called "panoramic sun roof"), and the whole thing RETRACTS!
-17" Alloys are STANDARD
-Chrome interior accents
-Fender flares
-Tinted Glass
-Outside temp gague
-Knee Airbags (optional)
-Performance Exhaust (option)
-BIG OPTION availible FROM THE FACTORY: SUPERCHARGER! (don't know rating).
-Cruise control WILL be an option
-MP3 Hard Drive with Receiver interface (!) (optional)

MSRP: $17,995 with a TON of standard stuff
Another member posted this as being the stats for the Scion coupe and although it sounds cool , it is not very practical. Let us hope he is wrong - I will explain. He is most likely right about the body being a liftback coupe and who knows what they will end up calling it. If it is fitted with this 2.4 liter engine , it will bring the price up and actually give an engine with little performance ability{2.4L but only 155hp?}. The JDM turbo version of the NZ{the engine in the xA/xB} puts out 150hp but is only 1.5 liters. There is a performance 2.4 liter used in Japan , one of the Altezza engines but that engine would be a very expensive one to use , so most likely not. The double wishbone suspension? Maybe on the front , maybe. Most likely it will be the lower arm McPherson strut type and perhaps a fully independant rear. OK on the sport bucket seats. May also be right on the rear seats but I doubt all that much cargo room , perhaps in the sport compact class it has better than average but the xB would fit far more. Yes it will have both transmission types - manuals for us who like to drive and drive hard and autos for women and wimps{no offence intended!}. NO WAY on the glass roof , that was pure show on the ccX. Even if the cost could be brought down to staying within the ideals of Scion , the weight would hinder the car having true performance{glass is very heavy and the whole roof made out of it would add a good heft that a sports car should not have. A large sunroof as an option or perhaps even standard is far more likely. 17" wheels standard - most likely an option from standard 16" , but he might be correct on that one. Chrome interior accents - probably. Tinted glass , yes. Outside temp gauge? not sure if he means a gauge that reads the outside temperature or a water temp gauge mounted on the outside of the vehicle , either way it sounds dumb to me. Knee airbags , possible but I plan on having any and all airbags disabled as they tend to malfunction during hard driving and if I am in a serious enough accident to need them , I would rather be killed than live as a vegetable for the rest of my life. Besides I would mount a race seat and four or five point harness - no need for airbags! The exhaust - yes! Supercharger - very possible option and I am all for it. Cruise - yes , Scion has already stated that cruise controls will be added to the option lists. MP3 - but of-coarse , although aftermarket systems outperform the factory systems and generally cost less.

I figure the car to be based off the Vitz{as are the xA and xB} or based off the US Corolla or perhaps the JDM Corolla{there are currently about 12 types based off this in Japan and more coming}. It will thus have the NZ engine if the Vitz platform is used or the ZZ engine if the Corolla platform is used{by the way the Celica and MRS are two of the types based off the Corolla JDM}. The Matrix/Vibe is based off the US Corolla. Which ever Corolla the engines are the same. Unless the engineers and executives have no concept of the current "tuner" trends it will be a car aimed at that market niche.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member

Default minor correction and additional info

Please note this correction , the Altezza engine is 2.0 liters! Additional info on the suppossed 2.4 liter : this is the engine used in the Camry , great engine for a mid-size family toter but a horrible engine for any kind of performance. The horsepower is low and at a low RPM , the torque is OK but very low thus no high end for this engine but very smooth take off from idle{not spinning tires take off , more like granny take off}. Check out the full stats at Toyota's webpage. I checked on the double wishbone suspension and the first model that Toyota/Lexus has it in is the Altezza/IS. The Camry/Solara still use the McPherson strut design.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The new RAV4 also uses a 2.4L I believe, so it is quite possible that that may be the engine tossed into the new Scion. Although, as you mentioned, it would be a shame to not go with something as proven, and more performance-oriented as the Vitz Turbo RS' 1NZ setup. This reminds me of Nissan USA's decision back in the 80s to stuff the KA24 into all US-bound 240SXs, because they felt the American public would be more enamored with a bigger, torquier engine, although those of us who have been into using 240s in most performance applications have been proponents of the original SR20DET engine for years. Then again, the performance-oriented crowd accounts for such a small percentage of sales that it would be wisest-from a business standpoint-to just make what sells most.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member

What I wish would happen is this! A coupe based off the Vitz with at least the turbo as an option , or a coupe based off the Corolla{preferably the JDM} with the ZZ engine , or how about one coupe with elements of both. In Japan the Corolla base engine is the NZ and then options up to the ZZ. So the new coupe with the NZ as the base or optional ZZ engine and maybe then one better the ZZ-GE. I disagree that most people would prefer a more mainline engine - remember Scion is aimed at us youth - very few of us want a jutless wonder of an engine , especially if there is little chance of upgrading. I will check on the Rav 4 engine and see what the specs are.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member

I just looked up the engines that could be used for the new coupe - stats as listed.

Rav4{Tacoma engine with the VVT-i?}
2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve EFI 4-cylinder with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i)
161 hp @ 5,700 rpm
165 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm

Tacoma
2.4-liter DOHC EFI 4-cylinder
142 hp @ 5,000 rpm
160 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm

Solara
2.4-liter DOHC
16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder
157 hp @ 5,600 rpm
162 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm

ZZ-FE{Corolla , MR , Matrix , Celica}
1.8-liter double overhead cam (DOHC)
16-valve 4-cylinder with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i)
140 hp @ 6,400 rpm
125 lb.-ft. @ 4,200 rpm

ZZ-GE{Celica GT-S and Matrix XRS}
1.8-liter double overhead cam (DOHC)
16-valve 4-cylinder with Variable Valve Timing and Lift with intelligence (VVTL-i)
180 hp @ 7,600 rpm
130 lb.-ft. @ 6,800 rpm

NZ {Scion xA and xB , Echo}
1.5 liter (DOHC) 16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder
108 hp @ 6,000 rpm
105 lb.-ft. @ 4,200 rpm

Please note the RPMs at which the HP and Torque are produced. The only engine on the list that is really a high performance engine is the ZZ-GE but even the ZZ-FE has more potential than any of the 2.4liter engines and with a turbo the NZ can match the 2.4 liters{and that is with like 4lbs of boost}.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Banned

wow
Old 05-05-2005, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tCar
wow
I was reading this and didn't check the date. I'm saying to myself, wtf, it's the same thing as the tC It's too early in the morning......
Old 05-05-2005, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Tuners

Old 05-05-2005, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OKay that kid would be wrong for one thing. The 1st thing i saw was 2.4 155 hp. The only car that makes that much power out of 2.4 engine is the mitsu eclipse rs and gs. Mitsu makes that kind of low compression engines in order to get a tq and hp in low RPMs. But i mightb e mistaken. But i dont realy believe in sucha scion coupe.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread was dead two years ago.

A troll revived it.

Please let it die.
Again.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:52 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
This thread was dead two years ago.

A troll revived it.

Please let it die.
Again.
OK

This Thread
Old 05-05-2005, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Tuners

Man...A scion coupe...how cool would that be?

AKA, bump.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sometimes, something gotta go, gotta go!
Old 05-05-2005, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok well, i don't believe it already, reading the first line, JUNE 2004...mmmmm crazy
Old 05-05-2005, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy old thread bump batman!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, maybe next time the guy who post this wouldn't doubt people when they post stuff. Like 90% of that stuff became reality. I love how he said 17's would not be standard and how the panaramic suroof would be impossible...
Old 05-05-2005, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

man, I wish I can get my hands on one of those!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by ScionGTR
OKay that kid would be wrong for one thing. The 1st thing i saw was 2.4 155 hp. The only car that makes that much power out of 2.4 engine is the mitsu eclipse rs and gs. Mitsu makes that kind of low compression engines in order to get a tq and hp in low RPMs. But i mightb e mistaken. But i dont realy believe in sucha scion coupe.

Ummm, doesn't the tC have a 2.4 with 160HP ???
Old 05-05-2005, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sounds like a really cool car. Kinda sounds like what i have or maybe im just from the future traveling back in time. Hmmmm.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

i actually wanted that mp3 hard drive option.

Quick Reply: Scion coupe