Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Scion tC S-pipe / down pipe install help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:21 AM

Default Scion tC S-pipe / down pipe install help

Hello, I'm new to this page, I'm going to install OBX header, OBX S-pipe and a catback exhaust, I've been researching and I think I know how to install everything but the S-pipe, I have never done amything of this and I wanna do it myself, can somebody tell me how to install the S-pipe and if you want to tell me some tips on the others installation that will be awesome, and another thing, whats the best way to take the O2 sensors out, everyone is saying they are hard to take out, well anything will help, thank you

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2017 at 03:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-18-2014, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depending on your location, rust will be the biggest issue.

I ended up using a torch to heat things up enough to break the hardware free.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exactly what he said. I changed mine many years ago, so rust wasn't too bad. With the car cold, I soaked the threads of both O2 sensors with PB blaster overnight. Using an O2 sensor socket and breaker bar, I managed to get it loose, but keep in mind my car was <2 years old at the time. The second O2 sensor was removed outside of the car by removing the pipe first, then breaking it loose with the same method.

In your case, you may need a torch if it's rusted badly. Heat the bung, not the sensor. When reinstalling O2 sensors, apply antiseize to the threads. I was able to remove my O2 sensor 5+ years later thanks to the antiseize. I used Permatex, but any high temp antiseize should work.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

spray some pb blaster on the sensor let it sit over night samething goes w/all the bolts,then with a 02 socket,and a break bar or impact gun just so some muscle and ill come out,the s-pipe is pretty easy,got two bolts w/springs that attach to the stock manifold,then two bolts that connect to the midpipe,i would take out the bolts for to the midpipe first,pita if there rusted,then ill do the spring bolts connected to the manifold...
Old 12-19-2014, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Don't mean to thread jack but do any of you guys know if the Invidia, Megan or any other brand s-pipe will fit with the OEM midpipe? I've read some people having issues in the past trying to install them.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got a new main O2 sensor. I tried taking it off the manifold but felt like it wasn't coming out straight. The s-pipe secondary is easy with an O2 socket.

About the invidia s-pipe on stock midpipe, yeah it will work. My first mod in 2008. You need a flat flange gasket for the midpipe side and maybe even a bigger donut gasket for the manifold side. You'll hear people say it's just bolt on and no other changes needed. I'm sure those people never even had one installed. Black exhaust residue on the outside of the donut flange basically proved it to have a design flaw. When I first brought up this issue with a few shops they said they've never heard of any issues or complaints.

So yeah. Didn't want to get that deep into this but I felt you should know. One reason why I'm completely back to stock now. Might just put my exhaust and emanage back. Those two things alone made nearly as much power when i had full bolt ons minus header.

Oh and I just noticed you posted on a YouTube vid of mine like last year. Lol. Thought the name was familiar.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Lol yeah which video was it? I try to get insights and suggestions but majority of the time I never get an answers. I just hate working on cars and find out one little thing is keeping me from installing whatever it is I'm working on.