2005-2010 [ANT10]

Scion tC - Worst Snow Vehicle Ever Made

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Angry Scion tC - Worst Snow Vehicle Ever Made

Now you all remember me. I've been an owner since the first model in 2005 (actually ordered in fall of 2004). But I'm done with the tC. Never have I seen such a poor performing car in my life in the snow or any precipitation. Heavy rain, sleet, hail, snow and this car does not deliver. There is no excuse for it to be stuck in the picture shown below. We got 20+" a few days ago and 10"+ last night. I tried to get to work today and left my place at 6:30am. My origin is actually about 10 feet in front of where the car is in the picture below. I missed the bus and spent 1 hr moving no where in the parking lot/street. I had people help and eventually someone was able to move the car 10 feet half way to my parking spot. I called out of work today and I'm going to sleep. My next car will NOT be a Scion tC!

Name:  SciontCStuck021010.jpg
Views: 4165
Size:  44.5 KB
Old 02-10-2010, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You bought a low horsepower FWD vehicle... and you blame the car for being stuck in that ^ ?

You should have just bought a Ford F-750 and wished for 40+ MPG.

You sir, FAIL.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jasper Ash
You bought a low horsepower FWD vehicle... and you blame the car for being stuck in that ^ ?

You should have just bought a Ford F-750 and wished for 40+ MPG.

You sir, FAIL.
Hey I thought we are supposed to support each other here?

And low horsepower? I thought the tC was pretty good in that? I saw other front wheel drive cars pull out with no problems and drive away. Made me mad and sad.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get better tires and it shouldnt of taken you 5 yrs to realize this it took me one snow fall back in 05 for me to decide that that was the last snow fall that the tc would see so in 5 yrs its only been in snow once. its now a wrx or a big truck for snow driving
Old 02-10-2010, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Red face

Originally Posted by bigBOAT
get better tires and it shouldnt of taken you 5 yrs to realize this it took me one snow fall back in 05 for me to decide that that was the last snow fall that the tc would see so in 5 yrs its only been in snow once. its now a wrx or a big truck for snow driving
I wish I had gotten a WRX instead of a tC. If the WRX is still being made in a few years or another nice looking 4wd car, I'm getting that. FWD is for losers LOL.

I put racing tires on the car a few months ago. Feels bad lol.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FWD Is for losers??? So I take it you're a loser?

I've driven my tC in the snow for 5 years without any issues. Some good snow tires or steelies and you're good to go.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Necromancer
Now you all remember me. I've been an owner since the first model in 2005 (actually ordered in fall of 2004). But I'm done with the tC. Never have I seen such a poor performing car in my life in the snow or any precipitation. Heavy rain, sleet, hail, snow and this car does not deliver. There is no excuse for it to be stuck in the picture shown below. We got 20+" a few days ago and 10"+ last night. I tried to get to work today and left my place at 6:30am. My origin is actually about 10 feet in front of where the car is in the picture below. I missed the bus and spent 1 hr moving no where in the parking lot/street. I had people help and eventually someone was able to move the car 10 feet half way to my parking spot. I called out of work today and I'm going to sleep. My next car will NOT be a Scion tC!

Your doing it wrong. so you fail.

Snow+tC = good time and easy to get where im going.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We've got a lil more snow than that here in MD, and I have to move to a new apartment about 35 miles away (with bald back tires)... So I've been driving about 70 or 100 miles a day hauling all my junk to my new place. I haven't had a problem yet. If you need practice driving in the snow, you should go to a big empty parking lot and get used to it...
Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I live in upstate NY and have seriously NEVER had a problem in the snow. Even with all-season tires I never had issues. Eventually switched to actual snow tires and still no problems - even better now, obviously.

IT IS THE DRIVER. I'm sure you don't want to hear that - but it is. It does take some actual skill and common sense to drive in the snow. If you're having that much trouble, you're doing it wrong (or you seriously need some better tires).

BTW, I've had mine since spring of 2005 - so I've been through plenty of winters, same as you.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn the support here is fantastic!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the support is half assed because yea snow causes problems, but people have learned to work around it, even if it was suddenly a crap load of snow.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah i don't actually have a lot of problem with snow. Now there were some times when I did, and I say cables FTW. Those things are awesome for deep snow, you pretty much have a 4WD then.

It mostly depends on the tires and driving.

BTW support does not equal agreeance.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mistaking bad tires for a bad car is a big no no.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well its not that were not giving you support its that either your not use to driving in the snow or not experience enough or whatever the case maybe yea the stock tires on the scion do suck period but if you have the skills and knowledge you can conquer anything..im riding on stock tires im in NY driving in the snow isnt a big issue yea they do slide from time to time but hey gotta know what to do..
Old 02-10-2010, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kind of support do you want? you got stuck in the snow it happens, the car is not a truck it can only do so much in the snow.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should have got a truck if you were going to be mad cause it got stuck in that MUCH snow. heck even in a truck you may not have gotten far in that...
Old 02-10-2010, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yesterday I almost posted the exact opposite.

In the 7 inches we just got, I was surprised how well the tc did. 1/2 worn out OEM tires and it does just fine if you have any clue what you're doing. I made it into neighborhoods that only SUV's were driving through. You should've seen the looks. And it just cruised right through the stuff.

Not lowered, maybe thats the difference. Dunno.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Used to Live in DC, bought a '07 tC when I moved to Michigan in late '06. As its my DD, I've had no issues with the tC in snow the past couple years.

However, I will say that I wouldn't dream of driving in snow on the moderately low profile stock tires on 17" wheels. For winter I have 16 in wheels and a set of Blizzaks and IMO the car does fine
Old 02-10-2010, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

from the looks of it you have the stock tires, they would contribute to you being stuck wayy easier even for being fwd..

that or just get chains on the tires and go offroading@
Old 02-10-2010, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's what happened last time I was screwing around in the snow... this was more or less for fun. The driveway was not plowed at all and from a horrible angle. Was still fun though.

Normal approach would be from the right or "down" the hill.

I also had some help.

Since the normal approach didn't work, I was able to turn around at one point and come at the driveway from the other way. That didn't work very well either.

I eventually just had to shovel it out.

Quick Reply: Scion tC - Worst Snow Vehicle Ever Made