Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Should I think about upgrading my radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 11:57 AM

Default Should I think about upgrading my radiator?

I'm stationed in fort Hood Texas, which is in central Texas. This is the first summer I've actually been here (last summer I was deployed). Now from what I understand it gets stupid hot out here upwards of 110. The last thing I want is for my engine to over heat while I'm out getting groceries you know. Should I consider upgrading the radiator and fan due to the high heat conditions out here? I know the old saying if it isn't broken don't fix it but like I said, I've never had to deal with central Texas heat when it comes to driving and maintaining a car. It's a 08 automatic TC (I've read some radiators only offer for manual transmissions)
Old 06-17-2015, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think you need to go through all this if the car is stock. My only recommendation would be to replace the coolant with new oem fluid and consider replacing the thermostat while you're at it (probably the hose that connects to the neck on the thermostat housing as well, since it may not seal that well once you remove it).

When replacing fluid, make sure you get all of it, including the engine block and heater core. When refilling, make sure you bleed the system of air. This can be done using a radiator funnel that seals to the fill port, allowing you to overfill the funnel while the car is running to "burp" out and residual air while the engine is warm and running. This guy works well:
Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive
Old 06-17-2015, 10:01 PM

Default Awesome man

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
I don't think you need to go through all this if the car is stock. My only recommendation would be to replace the coolant with new oem fluid and consider replacing the thermostat while you're at it (probably the hose that connects to the neck on the thermostat housing as well, since it may not seal that well once you remove it).

When replacing fluid, make sure you get all of it, including the engine block and heater core. When refilling, make sure you bleed the system of air. This can be done using a radiator funnel that seals to the fill port, allowing you to overfill the funnel while the car is running to "burp" out and residual air while the engine is warm and running. This guy works well:
Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive
You wouldn't happen to know the inlet and outlet size of a 1g muffler would you?
Old 06-18-2015, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, but you can probably search it on here.