Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

So I Got a TC. Long Plan to Racecar.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:06 AM

Default So I Got a TC. Long Plan to Racecar.

I just bought a TC, very clean. I want to make it fast (Even though I know its not RWD or anything like that. )

My goals are 300 whp, Tight Suspension, and making it look good, and keeping it semi reliable? it is my daily after all lol.

So, since I dont make tons and tons of money. First things first. Its used, I need this car to last long enough to make it to race time! What do you guys think of this maintenance list? for a car nearing its 140k mile mark?
  1. Oil Change
  2. -Replace PCV Valve during Oil Change (I hear these go out?)
  3. Coolant Flush
  4. Manual Tranny Fluid Flush?
  5. Radiator Fluid Flush
  6. Power Steering Fluid Flush
  7. ??Fuel Injection Cleaner?? - I hear this is good or bad?
  8. Replace Spark Plugs
  9. Check Belts, Hoses, Intake Air Filter, Cabin Air Filter
  10. and lastly run a compression test

anything else I should do? I plan on doing my suspension after all the maintenance is finished. I dont know how the car was driven previously so I want to cover all my basis before getting started.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love the TC but I am sorry its not a fast car and the money that it would take to make it face isn't worth it. You need a better foundation to build off of.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by TTCCC
I love the TC but I am sorry its not a fast car and the money that it would take to make it face isn't worth it. You need a better foundation to build off of.
I'm sure it's capable of getting to 300whp and running 13's in the quarter mile though.
And I'd be willing to spend 9-11k to get it there (some of that would be towards cosmetics)
I think this is a good car blend of speed and zippyness, aftermarket support, looks, reliability, uniqueness ish (more so than Hondas and Mustangs lol), gas mileage, and low upfront cost for the car ! I can't think of many with all those qualities I can use as a daily and fast (Imo 300whp is plenty fast)
Old 05-08-2016, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by daafin3
I'm sure it's capable of getting to 300whp and running 13's in the quarter mile though.
And I'd be willing to spend 9-11k to get it there (some of that would be towards cosmetics)
I think this is a good car blend of speed and zippyness, aftermarket support, looks, reliability, uniqueness ish (more so than Hondas and Mustangs lol), gas mileage, and low upfront cost for the car ! I can't think of many with all those qualities I can use as a daily and fast (Imo 300whp is plenty fast)

So, since I dont make tons and tons of money. .
Makes no sense.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:50 PM

Makes no sense.
Lol 9-11k isn't a ton of money over the course of a year or so. 9-11k + high repair costs might over due it 😱 So id like to stay reliable
Old 05-09-2016, 12:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much did you spend on the TC?
Old 05-09-2016, 04:41 PM

How much did you spend on the TC?
It was $3800
Old 05-09-2016, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was $3800
So you are willing to spend 11K on a $3,800 car?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All joking aside, you'd be much better off buying a 15k car that's already fast. 300whp is not cheap on these cars if you want reliability. Get a 5.0 Mustang, just don't hit anyone.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
All joking aside, you'd be much better off buying a 15k car that's already fast. 300whp is not cheap on these cars if you want reliability. Get a 5.0 Mustang, just don't hit anyone.
While the 5.0 mustang is no doubt a faster car, it lacks gas mileage, and has pretty pricey insurance. And tons of those are around at car meets lol. I can't see driving that every day. Maybe if a 2nd car was an option that's what I'd do. Prius + Mustang combo! But the scion stock internals should withstand 300hp if my readings are correct. I imagine $4k on a turbo + $1k on suspension set ups should get me there?
Old 05-10-2016, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, don't get a mustang if you plan to go to car meets

300whp is pushing it on stock internals. People have done it, yes, but I wouldn't count on reliability. If you have access to a second car/beater, go for it. Also, 300whp is a lot on these cars with an open differential and street tires. Hell, I can barely hook up in second gear, and I'm only pushing ~260whp with taller gears and a Quaife LSD. These cars are not high horsepower friendly
Old 05-11-2016, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
Yea, don't get a mustang if you plan to go to car meets

300whp is pushing it on stock internals. People have done it, yes, but I wouldn't count on reliability. If you have access to a second car/beater, go for it. Also, 300whp is a lot on these cars with an open differential and street tires. Hell, I can barely hook up in second gear, and I'm only pushing ~260whp with taller gears and a Quaife LSD. These cars are not high horsepower friendly
Thank you for the quality reply! I guess for reliability I'd either have to stop at 250whp ish, or build up my engine to handle a bit more so I can obtain 300whp without blowing it up eventually. so I'm not pushing it to its limits.

Also the differential thing I'll have to do some research on that I don't know much about it. But I believe civics and golfs have open differential too and those suckers get built pretty fast! I do see the disadvantage though.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you for the quality reply! I guess for reliability I'd either have to stop at 250whp ish, or build up my engine to handle a bit more so I can obtain 300whp without blowing it up eventually. so I'm not pushing it to its limits.

Also the differential thing I'll have to do some research on that I don't know much about it. But I believe civics and golfs have open differential too and those suckers get built pretty fast! I do see the disadvantage though.
Do some research. Your posts are all over the place.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:42 AM

Do some research. Your posts are all over the place.
Lol I just posted about some tasks to do to keep my car reliable xD and responded to comments. I don't think anyone have actually told me if all the tasks above are good, too much, or not enough
Old 05-18-2016, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Regarding your tune up plan, its good, but don't flush the manual trans. Just drain and fill till all the old fluids out.
Also you might want to add brakes to that list.
pads, rotors, fluid etc.
how are the tires?
140K is high milage to start hot rodding it.
If I were you. I'd buy another motor and trans and build it outside the car. pistons valvetrain, good turbo, good clutch,LSD and a flywheel. then drop it in when your ready.
then you won't have to much down time if its your daily.
One thing I've learned in my youth is don't make your daily driver your race car. At least have a beater so you can still get to work and ____.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by MasterZ
Regarding your tune up plan, its good, but don't flush the manual trans. Just drain and fill till all the old fluids out.
Also you might want to add brakes to that list.
pads, rotors, fluid etc.
how are the tires?
140K is high milage to start hot rodding it.
If I were you. I'd buy another motor and trans and build it outside the car. pistons valvetrain, good turbo, good clutch,LSD and a flywheel. then drop it in when your ready.
then you won't have to much down time if its your daily.
One thing I've learned in my youth is don't make your daily driver your race car. At least have a beater so you can still get to work and ____.
Ah thanks for the reply! Ooh. Brakes is a good one, definitely adding that onto my list of maintenance. And the buying and building a motor outside of the car... never even crossed my mind, that I will have to take into consideration.

The reasoning to working with the high mileage car is bc it was cheap lol, but since I am new to all the tuning, and racing, chances are this car WILL break. just statistically speaking lol. I figure this car is more likely to blow up or crash than outlive its motor. which is (I dont want that to happen) but I have planned for it lol.

And a beater... ive been thinking about that. still have to price out the insurance cost of 2 cars, and finding the space to store two cars...
Old 05-19-2016, 07:29 AM

Something I am looking at upgrading first (before my suspension) is getting some wheels and tires. Wheels, im thinking (to help with all the tire slippage) 18" rims and 9" width? rather than the stock 17" x 7"? What do you guys think?

Also. would it be too much to go for two sets of wheels? one with cheaper daily tires. the other with performance tires? or is just some mid level performance tires good enough? (I dont plan on going to the track THAT often maybe once every 2 or 3 months?) -- what do you guys do?
Old 05-19-2016, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your main objective is to go fast, I'd stay clear of 18's.
They are heavy and don't offer performance advantages.

You say you want to build a racecar, but what kind of racing are you looking at?
Drag, Track, Autocross, Ralley, Street? You need to have a clear plan and stick to it.

For the best performance, buy the lightest wheel you can afford.
Also depending on what kind of racing, there are classes that limit your tire and wheel selections. such as in autocross. For example a class this car would be sort of competitive in would be STF. They limit the wheel width to 7.5" and the tire to 225. so it's a good idea to plan ahead.

16"-17" would offer a lower cost and less weight compared to a 18" anchor. the rotating mass of an 18 would pretty much negate any gains if you were running NA with mild bolt-ons and usually make the car slower.
Plus a 16-17" tire is a lot cheaper than an 18".

Just some food for thought.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by MasterZ
If your main objective is to go fast, I'd stay clear of 18's.
They are heavy and don't offer performance advantages.

You say you want to build a racecar, but what kind of racing are you looking at?
Drag, Track, Autocross, Ralley, Street? You need to have a clear plan and stick to it.

For the best performance, buy the lightest wheel you can afford.
Also depending on what kind of racing, there are classes that limit your tire and wheel selections. such as in autocross. For example a class this car would be sort of competitive in would be STF. They limit the wheel width to 7.5" and the tire to 225. so it's a good idea to plan ahead.

16"-17" would offer a lower cost and less weight compared to a 18" anchor. the rotating mass of an 18 would pretty much negate any gains if you were running NA with mild bolt-ons and usually make the car slower.
Plus a 16-17" tire is a lot cheaper than an 18".

Just some food for thought.
I see. I'm more interested in making my car more of an autoX/track car rather than drag race. Just so happens a drag strip for a decent price is nearby so I'll be there every now and then.

Thank you for the info!
Old 05-22-2016, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Something I am looking at upgrading first (before my suspension) is getting some wheels and tires. Wheels, im thinking (to help with all the tire slippage) 18" rims and 9" width? rather than the stock 17" x 7"? What do you guys think?

Also. would it be too much to go for two sets of wheels? one with cheaper daily tires. the other with performance tires? or is just some mid level performance tires good enough? (I dont plan on going to the track THAT often maybe once every 2 or 3 months?) -- what do you guys do?
Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any worse ...

Quick Reply: So I Got a TC. Long Plan to Racecar.