Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Stock Air Box Question...Warranty Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member

Default Stock Air Box Question...Warranty Problem

I have been going 'round and 'round with my dealer for a few days noew. I (like many tC owners i assume) removed the charcoal filter in the top of the air box. I have also installed the TRD filter.

About a week ago, my CEL came on and the dealer said that they found moisture in my charcoal canister, they ordered a new one and went to install it. They told me that because I removed this filter is the reason that the water got into the canister.

Are they screwing me or what? I do not see how that could have caused water somewhere being htat there is no water in the air box.

Does anyone have a stock air filter box top they would be willing to sell? Someone that has done a CAI? PLEASE!!!
Old 01-25-2005, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Federal law prohibits a dealer from voiding your warranty just because you are using aftermarket speed equipment, with only two exceptions: the warranty can be voided if the aftermarket part causes damage, or adversely affects the emissions or the emissions system. In recent documents produced by the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association ), a trade association representing specialty automotive parts manufacturers, the following quotes have been extracted:

"The vehicle manufacturer is not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket equipment is installed on the vehicle. This protection for consumers is the result of a parts self certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).

"Under the program, if a parts maker completes the EPA process of self-certifying its parts, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty even if the certified part has failed and is directly responsible for the warranty claim. In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the part manufacturer, but the new vehicle warrant is not void under the law. "If the failure to honor a claim involves the new-vehicle warranty, and it appears that the manufacturer is improperly denying a claim, the incident should be reported to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC is responsible for monitoring compliance with the warranty law; the agency's telephone number is 202/326-3128."
Old 01-25-2005, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Stock Air Box Question...Warranty Problem

Originally Posted by b_griggs1
I have been going 'round and 'round with my dealer for a few days noew. I (like many tC owners i assume) removed the charcoal filter in the top of the air box. I have also installed the TRD filter.

About a week ago, my CEL came on and the dealer said that they found moisture in my charcoal canister, they ordered a new one and went to install it. They told me that because I removed this filter is the reason that the water got into the canister.

Are they screwing me or what? I do not see how that could have caused water somewhere being htat there is no water in the air box.

Does anyone have a stock air filter box top they would be willing to sell? Someone that has done a CAI? PLEASE!!!
hey b_griggs..
well the charcoal filter in the air box is to lessen the release of hydrocarbons in the air, on the intake side.. i cannot see how cutting that off and anything to do with the charcoal canister.. The charcoal canister is for purging and releasing into the engine the gasoline vapors that are trapped in the gas tank, absorbed by the canister.. then these vapors are burned from the canister into the engine directly.. instead of being released into the evironment. But to make a leap that you cutting that charcoal insert in the airbox seems like a far far leap to make other than the airbox insert and the canister both have charcoal in them.. they aren't even the same part. how funny.. sounds like they are grasping at nothing trying to keep their warranty costs down at that dealership.. And like the post before me said.. sure they could void your air box warranty for you modifying it.. but that doesn't eliminate warranty coverage for something else like the charcoal canister..

Sounds rather shady to me.. If I were in this situation I'd take my car to another dealership.. one that is bigger that isn't so hung up on warranty costs.. since if something broke it has to be replaced for FREE.. hence a warranty..

please post what dealer this is and what area so we can stay away from them..
Old 01-25-2005, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i made sure to pop mine out carefully so i can superglue it back in if i need to.

under this logic, they'll be voiding alot of warranties because of aftermarket intakes.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The charcoal canister they are talking about was probably damaged by you accidently over filling your gas tank.
It happens when you try to always top of your tank there is a lot of gas that goes down the outside of the fueling pipe into the canister.

The carcoal filter in the airbox under the hood has no relation to it.

Just speak with the service manager kindly and firmly or contact Scion directly if that does not work.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member

The dealer is Michael Toyota in Fresno, CA. I have had so many problems with them already and would not reccomend them to ANYONE, not even an ex lol.

I understand that the charcoal filter and the canister are not related. They just happen to of opened the air box, probably to check air filter condition since I am approaching 20k. And noticed it.

I NEVER over fill my tank. I need to keep strict mileage readings for my job and always let it click off once and thats it, to get consistent mileage readings.
The service tech told me that if I replaced the box WITH the filter, all would be good. I am not about to spend the $254 for a new air box lid, you cannot get the damn thing w/o the MAP sensor. He also said that they called Toyota and that they said the most likely cause of water in the charcoal canister is spraying too much water around the gas cap when washing your car.

I am going to start dealing with the dealer across town now. I am fed up with all of this petty bull$#!T.

I think my best bet is just to find some one selling the stock air box cover and giving them what they want. Anyone have one for sell, name your price and it is sold.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member

Yes, Bingham in Clovis is a much better Scion dealer.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member

fyrewal,

Other than the fisrt oil change and this little problem, I have dealt only with Bingham, they are soooo much nicer than Michael. I honestly do not know how Michael is in business still.....oh wait, I bought my car from them.

Haven't seen any other Fresno tC people on here., good to know they exist lol
Old 02-10-2005, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member

Michael Scion was actually the first place I looked for the tC way back in June. Unfortunately, they had already sold the ones that they had gotten initially, but I was told that if I were to, "put down a deposit" I would be assured a tC that was one of many coming in the next few days.

Now, mind you I am a large person and the tC is a small car, probably the smallest I have ever drove, so I was concerned with whether I would fit inside. (I would have a problem if I would have to have the sunroof open all the time so that I could drive.)

So, I gladly said, "thank you" and left. Knowing that that kind of high-pressure sales is not my cup of tea.

My story has a happy ending though, I breezed on over to Bingham who just happened to have a brand new tC in back, in fact, it hadn't even been detailed yet. I gave it a hard look, and made sure that I would fit inside comfortably. I purchased it on the spot, and was impressed with the employees and the ease of buying. (my first car purchase)