Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Taking the Plunge

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:31 AM

Default Taking the Plunge

I'm thinking about buying a 2009 Scion tC 5spd all stock. It has a clean car fax, first owner was a lease, had windows tinted...that's the only "mod". Second owner bought it in 2011 with about 32k on it and it now has 102k. Dealer wants $10,999 for it. It's in great condition. From the pictures it MIGHT be a smoker's car, but not 100% sure. What do you guys think? I'm familiar with Scion's but have never owned one. What should I look for when I go look at it? I'm a previous Toyota truck owner so I'm familiar with Toyota's in general. I also know there's a TON of threads just like this one, but every car for sale is unique in it's own way.

Omaha, NE 2009 Scion tC BASE Used Coupe near Bellevue, NE Elkhorn, NE H&H Kia | 406421A | JTKDE167290280815
Old 07-18-2014, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its overpriced in my opinion

However, I know what its like trying to find a clean car, with a clean history, in great condition. Especially TCs. There are tons of them with salvage/rebuilt titles or that have been excessively modified

When I really want something, I'll pay slightly more for it

Make sure its not excessively leaking any fluids underneath, electricals work, tranny shifts like it should, and no abnormal engine noises. I have read several threads regarding engine knocks/taps/slaps on these cars. Mine has a tap under acceleration. I bought it anyway as it was what I was looking for - clean everywhere, no accidents, in great condition, and a price much lower than other TCs. I work on cars so it would be easy for me to throw in another engine if the time ever comes. Right now it runs great despite the noise. I recently spent about a grand on exterior mods, so the noise isnt worrying me right now. lol
Old 07-18-2014, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wANNAGOFAST that's alot for such high mileage. Also if you don't know already these engines burn oil due to piston ring issues. With that being said I would keep looking for a lower mileage car.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by mc1114
Its overpriced in my opinion

However, I know what its like trying to find a clean car, with a clean history, in great condition. Especially TCs. There are tons of them with salvage/rebuilt titles or that have been excessively modified

When I really want something, I'll pay slightly more for it

Make sure its not excessively leaking any fluids underneath, electricals work, tranny shifts like it should, and no abnormal engine noises. I have read several threads regarding engine knocks/taps/slaps on these cars. Mine has a tap under acceleration. I bought it anyway as it was what I was looking for - clean everywhere, no accidents, in great condition, and a price much lower than other TCs. I work on cars so it would be easy for me to throw in another engine if the time ever comes. Right now it runs great despite the noise. I recently spent about a grand on exterior mods, so the noise isnt worrying me right now. lol
Originally Posted by GUNNIST14
wANNAGOFAST that's alot for such high mileage. Also if you don't know already these engines burn oil due to piston ring issues. With that being said I would keep looking for a lower mileage car.
Thank you for the responses. Dealer dropped the price to $10,000. Still a little high I think. I'm between a rock and a hard place here, though. In my area there are little to no decently priced Scion tC's around. I'm going to look at it today. If it's a smoker's car (which I think it MIGHT be because the cigarette plug is still in and there looks to be an ashtray in the cup holder), I will say pass. It's got a decent car fax on it. Where can I find more information about the piston ring issues? Never heard of that on a Scion before. What is the mileage before one would have to start worrying about that? Thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont consider 100k, very high miles

Mine burns about a quart or less every 1k miles. That seems to be the norm for the oil burners

Im very happy with the car. Even with the automatic, its fun to drive. It fits me well
Old 07-19-2014, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by mc1114
I dont consider 100k, very high miles

Mine burns about a quart or less every 1k miles. That seems to be the norm for the oil burners

Im very happy with the car. Even with the automatic, its fun to drive. It fits me well
Well, I'll be taking at least a couple year loan out on it. Hoping it doesn't burn any oil in that time frame. Might just move on to a different car, this one doesn't seem like it's for me. Thanks for the responses though.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check to see if the VIN on the engine matches the VIN on the dash. If not, then they swapped the motor likely because of damage or oil consumption. In either case, the motor would likely have less miles than the body.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:05 AM

I never noticed that I didn't update you guys haha. After tossing around the idea of a used 1st gen for awhile, I realized it wouldn't be a whole lot more to just go brand new. So I was extremely close to buying a 2014 tC. I got a way better deal on a 2012 Toyota Tacoma from my mom, so I took that instead. So a Scion is still very much in my future, but it'll be AT LEAST a year until I think about one again. Thank you all for the responses!
Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't read any responses.

Dude, that's a $5,000 car for a private seller. If you buy it from a dealer, you could feel good about buying it for $7,000, but not a penny over.