Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Thinking about trading the tC for the Eclipse 06

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mitsubishi is indeed heading downhill...they announced that their revenues for this year were even LOWER for last year...which really blows. they've got a pickup coming up (based off the dodge ram) and the Eclipse coming out--which isn't entirely too pretty (the front end does look a lot like the rear end...)
Old 05-26-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't forget about reliability. Those mitsu's aren't reliable.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by the.whoster
Mitsubishi is indeed heading downhill...they announced that their revenues for this year were even LOWER for last year...which really blows. they've got a pickup coming up (based off the dodge ram) and the Eclipse coming out--which isn't entirely too pretty (the front end does look a lot like the rear end...)
So which is which.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to own a 3G Eclipse and yes they were crap cars. Something always messed up from the ebrake snapping to the shifter cable messing up. The power is there in the new eclipse but will it be worth it? I wouldn't take the chance. I loving the TC right and I think I'll stick with it.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its ugly and their quality sucks. only eclipse i want is the 2nd gen i think the turbo ones from the 90s still not a very reliable car without some work though.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

So apparently no one heard this the first time. It is the new 2006 Mercury Cougar!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gambit7
So apparently no one heard this the first time. It is the new 2006 Mercury Cougar!!!!!!!
LOL, Nooooo....you take that back!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would def. not trade in the tC for the new 'clipse. Plus you plan to buy a new house soon..so yeah.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EXACTLY what I thought when I saw it.

Look, it's always cool to have the new car on the block. Mitsu's headed towards bankruptcy, good luck getting an eclipse under MSRP right now and good luck getting a decent trade in on your tC. KBB don't mean ____. I sell cars and people walk in with KBB quotes all day...is KBB buying your car? No...the dealer is and they very well may not offer you KBB trade in value.

You wanna take a 3-5$K loss on your under a year-old car? Go ahead. We laugh at people who do that ____. Like the kid who traded in his 8 month old Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V w/8K miles on it for 10 GRAND! and then got a WRX...stupid man stupid. Did'nt your parents teach you how to take care of your finances? I don't get all these kids who get rid of their tC's for something "hotter" like an RSX-S or similar. If you didn't want a tC why get one?
Old 05-26-2005, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by emiller
its ugly and their quality sucks. only eclipse i want is the 2nd gen i think the turbo ones from the 90s still not a very reliable car without some work though.

Do not ever own an eclipse, they are the worse pain in the ___ problems ever. I owned a 91 Gs turbo and it broke like every time I looked at it, here is a list of the "few" things i can remember.

1) Transmission
2) Head
3) All gaskets
4) Valve Cover
5) Clutch
6) Pressure plate
7) Very electrical problem u can imagine.
the other 200 things i cant remember.

The 1st gens are totally unreliable cars that break every 2 minutes.
The 2nd gen cars get crankwalk like 50% of the time, the other 50 they break like the 1st gens do.
The 3g cars are totally ugly (wtf was Mitsu thinking when it went from 2g to 3g). And they lost HP from previous years.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by suby2scion
EXACTLY what I thought when I saw it.

Look, it's always cool to have the new car on the block. Mitsu's headed towards bankruptcy, good luck getting an eclipse under MSRP right now and good luck getting a decent trade in on your tC. KBB don't mean poopie. I sell cars and people walk in with KBB quotes all day...is KBB buying your car? No...the dealer is and they very well may not offer you KBB trade in value.

You wanna take a 3-5$K loss on your under a year-old car? Go ahead. We laugh at people who do that poopie. Like the kid who traded in his 8 month old Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V w/8K miles on it for 10 GRAND! and then got a WRX...stupid man stupid. Did'nt your parents teach you how to take care of your finances? I don't get all these kids who get rid of their tC's for something "hotter" like an RSX-S or similar. If you didn't want a tC why get one?
VERY good point.

If you want to lose a couple of g's..go ahead and get that Eclipse. Plus per a ton of people I know that have newer and older 'clipses..they arn't that reliable

Don't forget those house payments too =/
Old 05-26-2005, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I liked the look of it until i saw the side view mirror placement... completely ruins the look. WTF does it have a front window like that for? Is it a 1975 Ford truck or something? Fugly.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kenshin
Originally Posted by emiller

Do not ever own an eclipse, they are the worse pain in the ___ problems ever. I owned a 91 Gs turbo and it broke like every time I looked at it, here is a list of the "few" things i can remember.

1) Transmission
2) Head
3) All gaskets
4) Valve Cover
5) Clutch
6) Pressure plate
7) Very electrical problem u can imagine.
the other 200 things i cant remember.

The 1st gens are totally unreliable cars that break every 2 minutes.
The 2nd gen cars get crankwalk like 50% of the time, the other 50 they break like the 1st gens do.
The 3g cars are totally ugly (wtf was Mitsu thinking when it went from 2g to 3g). And they lost HP from previous years.
My friend had a non turbo one which looked nice wasnt that fast and blew up the motor in about 50k miles. He babied that thing too never beat on it or anything. Another friend had the same year turbo and blew out the trans and something the motor.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pros of the new Eclipse:
-Good looking (to me, especially from the back)
-Good power (with the V6)
-Good looking seats (no idea how they feel)
-Factory 18" wheel option

Cons of the new Eclipse
-Mitsubishi quality (or lack thereof)
-4-cyl not very powerful, V6 powerful but won't last
-Heavy (as in "Heavier than the tC" which is no lightweight)
-More expensive than the tC
-Interior not as nice as tC
-No panoramic roof like the tC
-I can already hear the Eclipses depreciating
Old 05-26-2005, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the constructive feedback. I know it would be a financial mistake for me to make the switch at the moment. So I think I will let some time pass to see if my new eclipse obsession cools down a bit. I can always wait for a used one which is a good idea since Mitsubishi's resale is not as high as toyotas.

Dont get me wrong, I love the tC. But I just got hooked on the new styling of the eclipse. And as mentioned earlier, I had a very good experience with my last mitsubishi. This choice would be much easier if I had the funds to keep the tC and get the eclipse and buy a house. Haha, for now that is wishful thinking.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The 2006 Eclipse GS comes bone stock with 162HP 4cyl with 162 ft*lbs of torque and less features than the tC. It starts at $19,399. I know a few people (very knowledgeable people) that build Mitsu vehicles and they will all tell you that it is easy to make them haul ___, but they wont stay together very long when you do. I wouldnt trade my tC for one.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ECLIPSE SUCKS!! my friends have eclipse and it always give a problem with them!! sucks!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

at a quick glance, i thought the back of the car was actually the front. The new Eclipse's are FUGLY! The second generation looked the best, then it all went downhill from there. I heard Mitsubishi is going bankrupt too. stay away from these peice of ____ cars! you will regret it later on
Old 05-26-2005, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well to update.. the eclipse '06 has been recalled already! faulty brakes.. so there is that legendary mitsu reliability.. I'll stick with toyota..
Old 05-26-2005, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the entire north american division of mitsubishi motors is up for sale due to thier poor performance, which begs the question: Hows that warranty treatin' ya? That and the new eclipse looks like a vw bug and a tiburon got together and thats what came out.

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading the tC for the Eclipse 06